Day 1
Dear diary,
Today I was caught in a net thrown into a pond much smaller than where I grew up. I was unable to gather my belongings before my immediate removal from home, so I have to begin a new diary. This new pond is very strange and extremely overcrowded. I can see out every side of the pond, and these strang things we'll call "people" keep walking by and looking at me. I'm a little scared here.
Day 2
Dear diary,
I was caught up in yet another net today and placed in an even smaller pond for transport to the largest pond I've ever seen. Luckily I kept my diary under my gills so it wouldn't be left behind again. This new pond is great. It has lots of places to hide, brightly colored pebbles everywhere, fewer fish, and tons of space to zoom about in. I think I've even made a new friend! I love this new place!
Day 15
Dear diary,
Things are getting a little dark in this pond. Algea seems to be growing everywhere. The once brightly colored pebbles are now covered in moss. I'm starting to feel a little ill in these new conditions. The "people" seem like they are trying to irradicate the algea, but all of us fish feel like it is a losing battle. Even our water has started to turn green. I think I'll stick close to the bottom of the pond for a while, where the water is clearer.
Day 46
Dear diary,
The people have done it! The water is clear once again and the algea on the rocks is subsiding. All of us fish have noticed that the sun also doesn't seem to be shining as much and it is starting to get colder now. I don't have as much of an appetite due to the declining temperatures. My fishmates have also noticed a decreas in appetite amongst themselves. We're hoping this problem goes away soon.
Day 95
Dear diary,
The top of our pond is completely frozen over this morning. I have been dwelling on the bottom of the pond all day like a common algea eater just to keep warm. I'm so cold. I can barely swim. I can't even think about food right now. My fins are so frozen, I can't write anymore. I'm sorry.
Day 132,
Dear diary,
Things are at an all time low. The "people" installed a heater, but it keeps going off, leaving us colder than ever. In addition to that, the top of the pond is COMPLETELY frozen over. We heard one of the people trying to break through it to get us fresh air today. They eventually made a hole, but it just froze back over. I don't think hell could be any worse than this. How much longer must I go on in this frozen world? I'm so cold. I think I have ice under my gills. I think I am going to have to stop writing now. I need to conserve my energy. I hope these are not the last words in my diary. For now, this frozen fish must sign out....






4 Thoughts:
Awwww, I hope the fishies are ok! =)
I find this story really sad.. I have always felt sorry for fish and birds kept in captivity..
I did once own some goldfish and kept getting larger tanks for them and they grew to quite a size and lived to a ripe old age.. for a fish!
Eventually they went to their retirement home in a friends pond where they lived happily ever after!
Let's hear it for fish... Yeh!
Mx
I do hope this little frozen fish can carry on with its diary once thawed. What a journey, and so fascinating to know what life is like during the winter months, beneath the murky depths of a pond! Without this little fish we would never have known for sure and could only have guessed. Somehow this tale could relate to our ups and downs in life too, don't you think? x
I hope they make it!
Post a Comment