Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, January 4, 2008

Bitting the Bullet

I have been promising my husband for the last two years that we would move to Texas one day, and a day sooner than later. When we first got married, I told him that I needed to stay here for at least a year so I could adjust to being married before being taken away from my family, my friends, and my job, just generally everything I knew. I promised him that if we stayed at least a year, we could move back to his home state any time after that. However, we had been married for less than a year when I changed jobs and we had to move to a different city anyway. I then promised him that if he let me stay in my new job and gain the necessary experience, we could move to Texas any time after that. The new job was a career move for me in the right direction, and I needed as much experience under my belt as I could get.

Well, that year has come and gone.... about 8 months ago, and we're still here. However, issues with my current job have recently come to light. The past few months I have been debating (9 months, to be exact) over where to post my resume to get out of my current situation. I didn't feel ready to pack up and leave everything I know behind yet, but I didn't want to get a new job here. That, coupled with my promise finally led me to bite the bullet. I posted my resume in the great state of Texas last night.

The whole time I was updating my resume, my blood was rushing through my veins. I do want to go, and sometimes I am ready to go, but I'm not 100% ready. I don't think I will ever be 100% ready. Leaving my family behind is the biggest reason, especially my ailing dad. Add those feelings to the Great Unkowns, such as: Where will we end up? How much time will we have to move if I do get a job? Will I like it there as much as I hope I will? What if I get pregnant before we go?

I always knew I didn't want to stay here, even when I was a kid. I always felt like I was supposed to be somewhere bigger and better. I always knew this day would come and I've always welcomed it, but that does not keep me from being a little afraid of the unknown. I know that everything will work out the way it should, and that I will be happy with my decisions because I never make decisions thinking I could regret them. I have never been inclined to live a life of regret. So last night, hands trembling, I posted my resume, and then cried. lol

Sometimes we reach those points in our lives where we know its time to move on. I have finally reached one of mine. For the past two years I've felt like our lives were on hold. Like we've been in a temporary storage facility. Home is not really home, its just a waiting place. Boxes have been left unpacked from the last move because I knew they were not in their final location yet. And what's the point in unpacking when you aren't staying? Emptied boxes were put into storage and saved in anticipation of being used at least one more time. I guess its time to retrieve them and put them to use.

Trembling, scared, and excited, I look forward to life's next great adventure....

5 Thoughts:

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Hi, I came across your blog this evening and thought I would share an experience with you. 9 years ago I thought it was time for me to start the next phase of my life and suggested moving to a totally different part of the UK (where we knew no-one and because it is in the middle of Wales ~ half the population speak Welsh, a language I still haven't got to grips with!).
I talked my idea through with one of my (very supportive and jolly wise) friends who gave me some wonderful food for thought. She said 'what's the worst that can happen?'. When I thought about it, even when I imagined the worst case scenario (poorly father included in my scenarios), I realised that either the problems were things that I couldn't change so would just have to think about ways to deal with them when they arose, or the imagined problems were just that... imagined!
Try the 'what's the worst that can happen?' thing and perhaps you will feel so much more positive about your move.
All the best, Liz
PS. We made the move to Wales and I am really happy that I did. Lots of the 'worst that could happen' has happened, but they would have happened whether we lived here or not! Good luck!

La La said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. I imaging picking up and moving like that would be very difficult, but also very exciting! One of my best friends recently picked up everything she owned (she is single) and moved to Texas...just to start over. She really loves it out there...I hope you do to! And I agree with the comment already posted here...what's the worst that could happen? GL!

Beeswax, said... [Reply to comment]

Dear michelee, I think it has all been said before in the other posts, and very well too, so all I can add is this, I moved to Perth from Glasgow, where my parents till are as is my sister and family, although we all originally came from the Perth are in the first place, it was my Dad who moved us all to Glasgow when we were little, he joined hte police force there moved us along with my mother and sister away from the clutches of our grandparents, who played a very big role in our lives, I personally do not remember as I was only 18 months old, but, what I do remeber was my grandparents feeling so positive for us all the while we were there and never making us feel that we had made the wrong desicion, in other words we were supported from day one,I think that helped my parents a great deal, and we did go on to have a wonderful life in Glasgow,but as you know we are now back living in Perth and my family are about an hour away from me, it may seem a small distance but it is a big one to me, but even though I felt very frightened about the right move or not, I can honestly say thatlooking back I am so glad I did it, my father like yours is unwell with no prospects of getting better, and I know that he wants nothing but the best for my happiness, and is also proud of me takingsuch a big dtep as we are a very close family, I do not regret it , not one bit, as Liz said in her comment, it is for you and your life, it will all come anyway so no matter where you are life does go on, and we cope with it when we need to...
And really what do you have to loose anyway, if you do not like it you can always come back, nothing is ever in concrete, but opportunities are there for taking, you have your reasons, go with your heart , it willmake the right choice for you!
Love Kath x well done for taking the plunge, your Dad will be proud of you..

louise said... [Reply to comment]

Well done you Michelle for biting the bullet. I have bitten one too, but wait until the end of February for my news. There comes a time in life when you have to make changes, familiarity sets in, and parts of life become just tedious monotony, and sometimes you wonder why you have been put on this earth in the very first place. Making a change is scary but exciting at the same time, but along with support of friends, both off and on the blog, I think we can do it! Louise x

Cowboys and Custard said... [Reply to comment]

Michelle
Go with your instincts.. I am sure they won't betray you..It might seem a huge leap into the unknown but whatever it brings will be an experience and a journey.. these things make life much more exciting.
I moved to Bath 29 years ago to pursue a career in Bookbinding. It was many miles from my family and friends ... I knew no-one living here nor had I ever been here before but it just seemed the right thing to do and I have never had a day of regret..
Don't look back..
Michelexx

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary