I work for a company who designs, manufactures, installs, and maintains operating rooms. Not the little tools used like scalpels, but the show behind the show. In this company, I write all of the manuals that go with each product. The installation, service, and users manuals. Yep, I'm the person people who have to use those manuals hate and the person who everyone else is glad they don't have my job. But honestly, I love it. It is my calling in life. We all have to have something.
A few months ago the construction of a new hospital in my city was announced. Everyone in my company was hoping we would land the deal, if for no other reason than it is on our home turf.
We landed the deal.
Since the announcement, I have watched the site go from a tree-filled lot to a hospital building. It is still very much under construction and not slated to open until later this year. But here is where the excitement comes in. Over the next 6 weeks my company will be in the new hospital installing all of our equipment. Of course the whole company has been given the opportunity to see the new building and to attend an installation, if we so desire.
Being the person who writes the manuals on installation, I figured it might be a good thing if I actually not only saw an installation, but helped. I sent the PM a request to be to the installation of each of our products, and highlighted the ones I specifically wanted to attend. One of the rooms I requested to help with was the C-Section suites. Can you see where this is going?
If I ever get pregnant again, I will one day be wheeled down to one of those suites where my child will be born, hopefully after a nearly full term pregnancy and under a non-emergency situation. I want to look at that OR and know I helped install all of that equipment, and then to one day tell my child about it. How many people do you know who have an opportunity like that?
Even if I don't get to grace those ORs as an expectant mother, I will still enjoy knowing that I helped bring babies into the world.






6 Thoughts:
That is so crazy cool! You DESERVE to have a baby in one of those rooms!
That is so awesome girl! Yes, it will make a wonderful story for your child!! (((HUGS)))
That is very cool Chelle! It must be a great feeling. :-D So, you are one of those writers? Hee hee. :-D I actually used to work in a technical communications department at my current company, and that's what we did too. . . write user manuals. I found it interesting, and like you said, we all have our life's calling. :-D
That sounds like an interesting job. Are they hiring? Lol! I'm still waiting to find my calling. :p
I really think that it all sounds so neat and exciting! Have fun with the project!
Wow...amazing :) I hope that you get to attend the installation! It sounds so cool!
Very cool! Have a great time on the project.
And I think your job is interesting :-)
Post a Comment