Between the yoga and talking, I had calmed down. I no longer wanted to shout at God and demand answers. I would still like to have a chat with him though.
By the end of the day I was back on the surgery train. There is a chance a rupture could occur, a great one, but there is also a chance it won't, a very small one, but a chance none the less.
This morning my new RE's office called with a time for my MRI. Did I mention yet I decided to do that? I figure the MRI will be the deciding factor. I'm not holding out hope... as in, at all. But I want to see what the MRI finds and what both RE's say after they have that in hand. Honestly? I think I'm screwed.
Then tonight I talked to my sister who went through two very high risk pregnancies due to pre-ecplampsia. She lost the battle in the first one, and lost her baby. But by the grace of God, she sailed through the second one, and now has a healthy, beautiful 3-year-old. Everyone told her not to get pregnant again after she lost her baby, but she did it anyway. So if anyone knows what I'm going through, its her.
I asked her to put herself in my shoes and tell me what she would do. It took her a while, but she said 95% is too high for her. Now, that is a 95% chance the embryo would implant in the scar tissue, not of a rupture. Last I heard, it was a 40% chance, but that might have changed. Dr. P wouldn't give me a percentage yesterday. My sister then told me she had a friend whose sister died from a uterine rupture.
Take a minute to gasp. I did.
All I could do was sit there. I said three times, "She did? She died? From a rupture?"
Of course my first thought was, "No way in hell can I go through with this!" My second thought was, "Friend will have to surrogate. She wants to so badly. I want this as badly as she does. I will call her and tell her it is time to research."
I tried to talk to Hubs about it tonight, but he is closed off emotionally to all of this, which doesn't help me. He says that it is all my decision, and he says that he doesn't want to have a say until I stop waffling. He says that he will support me with whatever I decide. In other words, he is zero help. I am on my own with this. And you know what? That sucks. A lot. But I don't want to get into that here.
I called Friend and told her what my sister said. She is still on board with being a surrogate. In fact, she sent me a text last night saying she bought super prenatals to show me how serious she is about doing this. We're going to get together on Saturday and start the ball rolling on information gathering. Neither of us is entering into this lightly (although it may seem like it on the blog). We both want this, but we're not stupid. We need to make sure this can work emotionally, physically, and financially.
I then looked up death by uterine rupture. Honestly, its scary, but somehow I'm not scared. Is that called stupidity? I'm sure anyone who has ruptured would say it is absolutely stupidity. What I found is that if I am in a hospital setting with immediate access to surgical facilities, things could be okay, and most likely would be. Yes, things will go wrong and there will be consequences if it happens, but it happens more often than people realize.
I want this so bad, but I don't know if I want this because it is what I am supposed to do, or if it is just because I want it and can't accept reality.
Am I willing to chance an immediate hysterectomy? Yes.
Am I willing to die? No.
Am I willing to let my child suffer the consequences of my actions? No.
What are the chances any of that could happen? Good.
So why can't I let this go?
I will wait until I get the MRI results back and hear from both doctors before deciding. That is what I am telling myself, and that is what I'm going with. Until then, I need to think about other things because there is nothing I can do about any of this right now. So until that appointment where I am read my first verdict, this will be my last post on this subject.






7 Thoughts:
Oh lady, I don't even know what to tell you. This is just such a hard decision and choice... I'm pulling for you - I know you will figure it all out one way or another!
Aaargghhh!!! I had a big long post written and I accidentally closed the window. Crap!
OK, let me summarize. Keep an open mind about the surrogacy. Half the battle is finding a person who's willing to do that, and she just fell into your lap. Maybe God did bring the two of you together for a reason.
I know that people tend to be positive and they think that they will be the one to beat the odds, that they will be the 1 in 100 that survives something deadly. I have also seen it end badly, but that's just my ER experience talking.
I just want you to be healthy and happy, Chelle. Is that so much to ask for? *thinking of you * *hugs*
So this is what I want you to consider: If this was happening to you after you'd successfully had baby number two, would you be willing to take such a major risk to carry a third child? Would you be willing to risk leaving two children motherless? If not, what makes Bean less important of a consideration as an only child?
It is clear to me that you want/need another child. But if two would be enough, I just cant understand taking this risk! Not when you have an alternative that will give you the same end result, but safely!
Your friend loves you so much, she WANTS to help. She doesnt want to risk your family unit, she doesnt want to lose her best friend and she knows how much this means to you. I know enough of your personality to know that a baby your friend carried would be as fiercly loved by you as Bean is.
I think it's always good to know exactly what is happening in your own body so tests are good. I also think it's nice to be around to watch your child/children grow up.
You know I'll support you whichever way you go but I'm sure leaning one way!
Chelle,
I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I can't imagine the thoughts that are swimming through your head. I hope that you are able to try to focus on other things until you get the results. Don't fault yourself though if you can't do that; you're only human.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))
OH darling...
There are so many variables aren't there?
I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago. My daughter was 4 months old. I'll tell you it sucked, but I'm glad it's over. We adopted 3 years ago.
You have to make the choice that is best for YOU and YOUR HUSBAND. No one else can influence that. If you allow others to make decisions for you, you'll regret that someday. Pray about it. Hard.
I will too, OK?
I am praying for you. My insides hurt when I read your blogs about this topic and I wish I knew exactly what to say. Most of the things I would say would probably just frustrate you, so INSTEAD I say, pray about this. Even though you are angry with GOD, pray and ask him what you are supposed to do. Meditate on his word and open your ears to receive his message. I know that sometimes it is IMPOSSIBLE to hear Him through our own emotions and other times we really just don't want to hear what it is he is telling us because we don't like it... but someday, someway, you'll know WHY he is working the way he is in your life.
I am so sorry you've had yet another hurdle thrown into your path. It royally sucks having to deal with that. I hope and pray you find a solution that works for you and your husband.
~ICLW #31
Post a Comment