I had my MRI yesterday, and I was there for a good long while. What I didn't mention to the tech, because I knew it would be an issue, is that I am claustrophobic. This wasn't my first MRI though, in fact I've had many (headaches). I usually go into the tube telling myself it is okay because they can pull me back out easily, and then I close my eyes. So the tech wrapped me in warm blankets, not knowing about my fear of small spaces, and into the tube I went.
I went about half way into the tube before I stopped. "No big deal; I can handle this," I thought. Then a few seconds I started moving into the tube again. Just as I was on the brink of claustrophobia, I stopped again. To keep from freaking out, I closed my eyes, and the test began. I could literally feel my muscles twitching from the magnets. Long story short, the radiologist ended up being in a procedure, and I ended up being in that tube for over an hour before the tech gave up waiting for them. By that time I had fallen asleep... during the scan even. With all of its loud knocks and clicks, I somehow managed to fall twitchely asleep.
More than two hours after I arrived, I was headed home, slightly dazed from being woken so abruptly from my nap. After arriving home, Hubs wasn't feeling good, so I packed Baby Bean into the car and went to the store to give him some peace and quite. While I was there, the tech called and said that they needed to me to come back on Sunday to redo the test because my bowls had been so full of poop that they couldn't get the info they needed. He told me to go to the pharmacy and ask for a bowel prep, to take it on Saturday, and come back Sunday morning. No problem.
It turns out you can't get bowel preps without a prescription. All of my doctor's offices were closed for the day. No problem. I'd call in the morning. Because my RE was out today, I called my primary care physician, told them what was going on, and had them order one up for me. My instructions were simple, start drinking 8 oz every 15 minutes starting at 4:00... and stay home for the rest of the night. I laughed and asked if I was going to need reading material. Yep!
Let me tell you, my idea of fun would never include a bowel prep! Not only is the job it does no fun, but it tastes like salt water. I have never in my life wanted a bidet before tonight. I understand why they would be nice now.
So tomorrow morning I go back in for another MRI, and hope that they get the info they need. The best part is they send me home with my scan on a disc. I can't wait to check it out and see my right follie all ready to ovulate. I know, I'm a total infertile.
My husband's favorite part of all this? "I love to tell you that they couldn't read your results because you were too full of crap." Thanks babe.
One thing I have learned this last week is that I am one in zillion. You may know someone who looks like me, has the same mannerisms as me, and thinks like me. You can tell me I'm just like someone you know, but I have found that your chances of winning the lottery are exponentially better than finding another person on this planet just like me. How do I know this? Because rupturing from a septum removal is almost unheard of, and because it is apparently really rare that someone's MRI test results cannot be read due to a full bowel, especially when they are looking at a uterus.
Go me! I AM the only one like me on this planet, and the only one like me who has ever lived on this planet. No sense in being like anyone else!






6 Thoughts:
wow I have never had an MRI and even though I am not claustrophobic, I think I'd still have a hard time in that tube.
Love the affirmation that you're one a zillion, I know I don't know you but I think that would be true even without the incredibly rare MRI results (or lack thereof) :)
ICLW #134
Oh man Chelle! I'm so sorry, but I am cracking up! I had a tech point out my poop on an ultrasound once, and it was actually exactly what I needed to lighten the mood, but... they could still see my business!
And, I had to do a bowel prep before my last surgery because they wanted to clear the endo out of my bowels. It was seriously rough, so I feel you on that! They also told me I couldn't eat for 24 hours before, and I get nauseous when I'm hungry. So there I was, nauseous, starving, and sucking down that crap just to be loosing all of MY crap! It was awful!
Chelle, I've never heard of that either! You did such a great job and now you have to do it again? UGH! As soon as I read "bowel prep", I cringed. Yikes!
Good luck with the repeat MRI. And, your husband's comment was too funny.
I am so sorry that you have to repeat the MRI. I am claustrophobic too and even the open MRIs freak me out!!! Hope the next one goes quickly!
UGH!! That sucks!! WHat a sh!tty way to spend the weekend (sorry, lame joke....). The bowel prep sounds like NO FUN...I hope it did the job...
It's too bad you couldn't just buy a bottle of OTC magne.sium citrate for $2. That's what I did when I had the lap, and it worked...like a charm??? Lol! Yuck! Hate colon blow!
And that sucks having to repeat the MRI. Especially when you claustrophobic. Yikes! I hate the MRI!
On to the next post...
Post a Comment