Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Have an Issue?

After yesterday's call to the May.o Clinic, I will be honest, I'm upset about the situation, so is my husband. The doctor has all of my records right there in her office. I don't understand how she thinks seeing me in person is going to change what tests she might think she needs to run. Even if she gives me an internal, she isn't going to find anything or see anything that isn't already in the records I sent her. Bottom line is, there should be ZERO reason she can't take a precursory glance at my charts and determine if she needs further testing. She just doesn't want to do it, and that makes me a little angry.

I understand she is a prestigious doctor working at a prestigious hospital, but her unwillingness to take 20 minutes to look at my charts tells me right off the bat I am nothing more than a number to her. It tells me she won't be a compassionate doctor. She can't be bothered. I understand that $1k is chump change compared to an entire infertility cycle, but this is money that doesn't have to be wasted.

I think the thing that frustrates me most is I feel like that black fog I left behind when I moved to Texas two years ago has creeped back into my life. The one where I was going through treatments and waiting for appointments and answers. The same one that made me feel like my life was in a holding pattern. I'm there again, and I didn't want to be.

I was hoping for things to be easier this time around. I was hoping we would get clear cut answers and help where our problem is clear cut. We know exactly what needs to happen and exactly how it needs to be done. I don't need to chart. I don't need to figure out if/when I ovulate. I don't need injectables. I just need surgery. A simple surgery. There are no question marks in this equation, so the fact that the doctor has put them in there unnecessarily is getting to me.

I thought going to a prestigious institution would make things easier and I would get the help I needed right away, but instead it is turning out to be a frustrating hassle that adds stress and complications to my already complicated life. That is what is bothering me the most.

The sad thing is, I couldn't figure out why I had been so down the last few days. Its spring here. Its warm, sunny, and gorgeous. I LOVE spring, and I especially LOVE the Easter holiday. So why was I feeling so blue? Why weren't the things that normally made me happy budging my blues? Then yesterday I realized that this whole IF thing is really bogging me down. I had tried to pin all of the blues on something else, but the reality is that this IF crap is the root of it all.

Hubs and I have decided to go to the appointment anyway, if for no other reason that peace of mind that we are in capable hands here in Texas. So, I'm trying to pull myself out of the bog and move on, but I'm finding it hard, despite my best efforts. I just keep telling myself things will turn around after my appointment next week with the RE here, and after the visit on the 9th.

If nothing else good comes out of going to MN, at least I will meet two fantastic blog friends IRL and get to spend some time with them. THAT alone will make it worth it.

7 Thoughts:

K said... [Reply to comment]

Did you talk to the doctor directly, or did you just talk to the scheduler? I'd get on the Mayo website, track down an email address and email her. Worst case scenario, she's pissed you emailed her. Best case scenario, she says yes and takes a look. If she hates you, ehhhhhh. You have bigger (baby) fish to fry, and you know you tried.

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

The only thing that I can think of the doctor wanting to meet you in person, is if she wants to do an internal to see if she agrees with the findings. Right now, all she has is a picture from your doctor in Texas. I just know so many times a different doctor takes a looks, and does not agree with the initial findings, or the way the picture was taken, etc. That's the only thing I can think of.

I can understand your frustration though. I think you and your husband are so brave for taking a trip to MN in the first place. IF is SO expensive anyway. . . and then add travel on top of it. It's so darn difficult. :( I remember many times wanting to just go to NY and get a 2nd opinion from their docs there.

Whatever you decide, you need to be at peace with. I do wish Mayo would at least explain why they need you there in person, because it would be so disappointing to go there and not even have the doc take a second look.

Thinking of you.

Nixy said... [Reply to comment]

How frustrating, and you are probably right about her not wanting to take personal time for a phone consult.

I had a very long response, so I sent you an email.

AL said... [Reply to comment]

I am frustrated that they refuse to do a phone consult with you so you're not wasting your time and money just to get to the appointment.

It will be great to meet some blogger friends IRL - it will be a great trip for just that.

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

I am so sorry you are frustrated - I would be too! I think you have the right idea though. Even if it just gives you peace of mind, peace of mind is worth it... It's still annoying though!

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry I haven't been around in your time of need, love - gosh, it is all so damn frustrating. The waiting, wondering and uncertainty is so difficult - I really feel for you.

The other good thing that can come out of your trip to MN is that you won't then wonder - hopefully you will get some answers and your journey will continue to progress.

Thinking of you!

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

I feel so bad for you. I'm frustrated for you girl! We're so blessed that our MI clinic said they could do a phone consult so we only have to go there once. I don't understand why they can't do one, especially knowing how much you have to travel. Or like you say, take 20 min to look at some records to see what other testing can be done at the same time.

So sorry sweetie. (((HUGS)))

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary