Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Fought the Law and I Won!

Back in June I got a ticket for speeding in an inactive school zone. Of course I was mighty miffed, but I decided to pay the ticket and opt for deferred disposition, which meant if I didn't get another ticket for 90 days, my violation would be dismissed. I didn't think I earned the ticket, as the school zone lights weren't flashing and it was the last day of school. However, my ticket was arguable because the school zone times are posted on the sign. I figured since I had only gotten one other ticket in my life (which I gladly paid because I knew I was speeding that time), so going 90 days ticket free would be no problem.

Two months later, I got pulled over again. This time for supposedly running a stop sign. This time I was angry. I didn't run a stop sign. I made a full and complete stop, and there were other cars at the intersection when I approached it, making running the sign very unwise. The (female) cop gave me a ticket anyway. As soon as I got to work, I called a lawyer.

My court date came and went twice because my attorney couldn't make it the first time, and then referred me to new representation in my area the day before my second court date, which got it postponed the second time. In speaking with the new attorney, I was told that the police in my area are notorious for giving out tickets for trumped up violations. On top of that, the judges in my city were as hard nosed as their cops, and usually sided with them. I was told flat out I would not get out of the ticket, even though I had done nothing wrong, but that the attorney would try to at least get me another differed. I was angry all over again. I didn't see how it was fair I should have to pay for something I didn't do. Especially when I sorely needed that money elsewhere. On top of which, I have now taken three days off work for court dates.

Shortly after I got my second ticket, I received a summons to a show cause hearing, informing me I had violated my deferred disposition and was now going to have to go to court to plead my case as to why my first ticket should not go on my record. Needless to say, I went through the roof. My husband told me he thought it unwise for me to represent myself at the show cause hearing, so I called the attorney again. His fee was $250. He then told me that I would probably be able to represent myself just as well as he could, so I should save my money and do it on my own. I asked how I was supposed to keep from getting tickets when I wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place. He told me to move. I asked if there was anything I could do. He told me I could call the city and complain, but that the police would target me if I did. Yes, he told me THEY WOULD TARGET ME!

I seethed with anger yet again. I was between giving up and going on a rampage, leaning more toward giving up. What else could I do?

This morning was my show cause hearing. I got a call from my daughter's day care just hours before my hearing, saying she was running a fever of 103.6 and that I needed to come get her. I rushed over and picked her up. She was going to have to go to court with me. We showed up to the court house, and I waited my turn as I held my daughter, burning up with a fever. She was so hot it was making me sweat. She began to get a little cranky in the court room, so the bailiff told me to wait in the hall and they would call me when it was my turn. They called me back in, and I was able to get my daughter to sleep just before it was my turn.

I walked up to the judge, sweating from holding my child, and a little shaky because my arms were getting fatigued. The judge asked what I was doing regarding my stop sign violation. I told her my attorney was going to represent me this afternoon. She then told me that she would let him sort out the details for that ticket, and that she was dismissing my deferred violation.

I couldn't believe it! I was shocked. I had my whole song and dance prepared, and I didn't even need to perform. I thanked her and went to the clerks office, relieved and still sweating. I fought the law and I won! Now I just need to wait and see what happens with the hearing this afternoon.

As for Baby Bean, she is peacefully sleeping in her swing. I have given her some tyl.enol, and she has a doctor appointment this afternoon. Hopefully it is nothing serious and she will be back on her feet in no time.

7 Thoughts:

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

What an absolute nightmare! Hope Baby Bean feels better soon!

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

You go girl!! Yay!

I sure hope Baby Bean gets better. The poor thing. :(

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

That is awesome news! Good luck with the other ticket too!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Good for you! Timely for me b/c I just got my first ever speeding ticket. :( Definitely my fault though. I felt so stupid. :(

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

Oh man, what a beating. I am so glad it all worked out, though! And I sure hope your baby girl gets to feeling better.
*hugs*

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Good for you for winning! I remember reading about when you got that ticket months ago! Can't believe how long things take to resolve, but so happy that you won. :-D

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Yay, you won!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary