Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

PHEW!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, homes in Texas for some reason have ZERO storage space. At least where I am located. I am not the only person with this complaint around here. Storage is at a serious commodity. The closets in my house are pretty much worthless. You shove a roll of toilet paper in there and the thing is full. The one exception is the closet in the master bedroom, which for some reason is probably half the size of the smaller bedrooms in our house. As a result, almost everything that needs to be stored in this house got shoved in there. Want to see the horror? Here you go.



Yes friends, that closet is stacked from side to side, floor to ceiling.

Can I just say it was driving me INSANE?!?! On top of which, I need that space. So a couple of weeks ago, I did the unthinkable... I started to clean the stupid thing out to determine what could go into the attic, unprotected from the temperature and humidity fluctuations, such as books or old papers, and what needed to be protected, such as clothes.


I then bought stock in these babies. Because in addition to my closet being full, Baby Bean's was overflowing as well with her old clothes and blankets that wouldn't fit in mine. I think I spent about $100+ on SBs. I was serious!

Then began the cleaning. Oh the cleaning!


This pile doesn't look big in the picture, but let me tell you, it took up an entire large block SB. It was all of my maternity clothes. I certainly won't need them for a bit and they were taking up way too much precious space.

This pile was jaw dropping. Those are all of the blankets and pillows I pulled out of there. This isn't even including the boxes of books and files. It was one of those projects that when you're half way into it, you wonder why the hell you got yourself into it.

I did the majority of the cleaning in one weekend. Then over the next few weeks, I gathered everything in our front room that I wanted put up in one of our underutilized attics. Today I got sick of it all. I was tired of the boxes sitting in my front room waiting to be put in their new home, and I was tired of the fact that I still had some closet left to clean out yet. Without even meaning to, I finished the thing off today.

Here is the finished project.

Can you believe it used to look like this?!


Hubs and I couldn't believe I actually created some of this:


Do you see that lovely carpet?!

As for the goods, this is an example of what happened to them during the process.


Before


During

After

And finally, in their new home!


Oh yes, folks, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. I can't tell you how many times today I have walked into the closet just to believe my eyes. Or how many times I climbed up the attic ladder just to see how cool it was I was using that space.

Then guess what I did next? I cleaned out Baby Bean's closet! Not only did I clean it, I organized it, and then I cleaned and organized her room and her changing table. I feel so proud of myself. :D

Up next, Christmas decorating!

12 Thoughts:

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Awesome job, what a difference it makes! Plus if feels so great to de-clutter doesnt it!

It looks like you actually have a heap of room up there in the attic, make the most of it!

KE II said... [Reply to comment]

Good job Chelle!!! Wow, that was a mammoth task. I desperately need to do the same and just can't find the time or inclination to get started, but I know the sense of accomplishment afterward is so great!! I cleaned out little M's wardrobe the other day, it was chock full... I've not blogged forever, but i'm still checking of ya :)
Hugs

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! You sure were busy!! Can you come over to my house? :)

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

I love organizing! I also love the Container Store. I have to be careful when I go in that place bc I want to buy everything in sight. It just makes me feel better when everything is neat and in it's place. {It's insulting when Wackjob cleans up my things when I think they were pretty organized in the first place, by the way}

I have to totally agree about the lack of space in this "big ol state" of Texas. We used to have a large basement in our PA house (Texans don't know what a basement is), but now we actually rent a storage shed. It's annoying!

Hear hear, sister!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! That is amazing! I love before and after shots. I felt like I was watching an episode of HGTV. :-D The transformation is really quite amazing! Good for you for tackling the project! :-D

~Ifer said... [Reply to comment]

that is awesome, and a LOT of work! I wish I had some time to do something like that lol

AL said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, what a dramatic difference!! Isn't it great when a project like that is finished? Such a sense of accomplishment!

Megs said... [Reply to comment]

Wow!! Good job!! Im pretty impressed. Our house doesnt have much closet space either...I have several things that need to go in the attic before the baby gets here so that I can rearrange closets...I think that is going to be my over Christmas project.

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Wonderful, wonderful job!!! Congratulations!! As you know, we have been cleaning out the baby's room so I know how you feel - it is a mammoth job!

Stand proud, my friend!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

It looks fantastic!!!!! I live for that feeling of success, isn't it awesome! I am such an organization junkie!! :) The house looks great and I am sure that is a huge sigh of relief to have it done. Good luck with Christmas decorating! SO FUN!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I think your next stop on the cleaning adventure train should be at my house. Your closet looks so good now. I am amazed that you could fit so much stuff in there in the first place. I need to follow in your foot steps.

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Ditto for many homes (including ours) in Fla. Good job.

Do they think we don't need it b/c it's warm or something??

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary