Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Stupidity Hurts

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I did nothing except lay on my backside, taking it easy, which left me feeling pretty good and hurting very little. So yesterday after I did my blog post, I vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen, and started cleaning my seriously cluttered desk area that is sorely visible when you walk in our front door. I did all of that and still felt great. Sweet! But I didn't do any more after that, for fear of overdoing it.

Then Hubs and Baby Bean got home. I thought it would be fun to let her play in the dog's pool I had just put fresh water in that morning, so I put her in a swim diaper and took her outside. Hubs went and mowed the front lawn while I watched Baby Bean in the pool. For some stupid reason, I decided she needed to get out before he was done mowing the lawn, so I picked her up, carried her upstairs, put her on her changing table, dried her off, dressed her, and then carried her back down stairs. I gave her some ty.lenol for a nasty diaper rash she was sporting, and then picked her up and carried her into the other room.

My stomach was burning.

It was starting to swell.

I knew I had been stupid in that moment.

Hubs came in, and I debated over whether or not to tell him. I knew he'd be mad, and I knew he'd say, "I told you not to do that!" But I was starting to get concerned that maybe I had busted an internal stitch, in which case, I would have to tell him at some point anyway.

I told him. He was mad.

Apparently not lifting anything over 10 lbs applies to the same 2-week rule as driving a car. But in my defense, Dr. D told me that I could pick up the baby as soon as I felt like I could. He said to just kind of play it by ear, and that I shouldn't have to wait more than a few days, even after I told him Baby Bean is nearly 30 lbs.

I think what did me in was carrying her up and down the stairs, and the changing table. I am sure if I just carried her from one room to the other, I would have been fine. But no, I just had to carry her up and down the stairs, as opposed to helping her walk up and down them.

I spent the rest of the night hurting, no matter how much medication I took. I was so swollen I looked 6 months pregnant. It was a very uncomfortable night sleeping too.

Today I can attest to the fact that stupidity really does hurt.

8 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Oh no! I hope the swelling has come down and that you did NOT bust a stitch! Get better soon!

Claire said... [Reply to comment]

I feel like i am reading my own thoughts on recovery from your blog. Only my situation was vastly different but the recovery about the same.

to be honest, recovery sucks. You seem to be handling it great though

best of luck

C

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Ohhh, it must be so hard to resist holding your baby girl. Sorry about your pain, and I hope you are feeling much better today. :)

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Step away for the vaccum. I've heard that is the worse thing you could do when you have surgery in the aread you did.

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Yikes! That's a lot of swelling. I hope you're okay and the swelling goes down! *hugs*

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

CHELLE! Uggg... I can't give you too hard of a time; I always push myself too hard too. But take care of you please!

Suzanne said... [Reply to comment]

Please take good care of yourself and take it easy! I hope that the swelling goes down soon and that you stop hurting soon.

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Get better soon! I love your set up btw. Beautiful.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary