Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Million Dollar Question

Today while I was bored at work, I read a blog that got me to thinking about how bad my allergies are right now and how the allergy medication I am taking is affecting me. It wasn't until after I read that blog and the writer talked about the disadvantages of decongestants for those of us who chart CM that I realized why I had been so unable to stay awake the last few days. I realize that has nothing to do with CM, but you have to know this epiphany hit me after I had fallen asleep at work and wondered why I have had such a hard time staying awake the last few days. It suddenly hit me that my drowsiness was being caused by my need to double up on my allergy meds, which aren't doing a thing for me anymore.

So like any other bored person does, I got on go.ogle. I found out that if you suffer from allergies, you need to switch your meds around every 3 months or your body gets used to the current medication and builds up an immunity to it. That immunity makes the drug useless at combating histamines. Wish I'd know that last week!!!

I am really awesome about being easily distracted or going off on strange tangents for no reason (just ask my husband). As such, my google search led me to looking into what else in this world contributes to endometriosis. I guess I really just wanted to make sure caffeine really is at the top of the list because I was really hankering for a frapp today when I realized I couldn't make a baby (someone is fertile right now [hint: its me]) until after my surgery. Hey, if I can't have one, I might as well have the other, right?

Guess what I found out? I found out that EDAMAME, one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE things in this world, and that my freezer is currently stocked with, contributes to endo.

FREAKING WHAT?!?!?!

Yeah, apparently soy in almost all formats, save three, contribute. I've been sucking down edamame like it was made just for me to eat by myself. I LOVE that stuff.

I have to admit, I was a little angry. I still am. I'm not sure I believe it.

I kept reading down the list of things I shouldn't have, and it included meat, dairy, wheat, sugar, and chocolate. I wanted to throw my hands up and ask the cosmos exactly what was safe for a woman with endo to eat then? Walnuts and fruit. Bite me.

After looking at that list I came to the realization that apparently there is nothing in this world that doesn't contribute to endo.

Waking up in the morning contributes to my endo.

Brushing my teeth contributes to endo, as does not brushing them.

Using OPKs definitely contributes to endo.

Showers contribute to endo.

The list goes on and on. So what is a girl to do?

That is the million dollar question, my friends. And the answer for me is:

Enjoy life, you only go around once.

Why spend my life denying myself all of the things I love best? What person in their right mind can live without eating meat, dairy, chocolate, and edamame? No one who is sane, I can tell you that much. And hello, I live in TEXAS! If I don't eat meat, they will run me out of this state on a rail.

I've been saying for years that life is terminal. We all go one day from one thing or another. I don't want to look back on my life and regret anything, if I can help it. I am not about to not enjoy the things in this world that bring me pleasure because they contribute to a disease I have. We all have something, and this is mine.

Endo, you can stick it where the sun don't shine! This girl is going to continue sucking down edamame and enjoying the occasional frappuchino!

7 Thoughts:

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Being an endo girl I can totally relate to your story. I had a very similar experience when I was researching ways to stop / slow down endo and came to the same conclusion - you can't freaking eat anything that doesn't contribute to endo so I enjoy life. In the past I was a bit of an all or nothing girl and finding out something like that would have tipped me over to the crazy disciplined world of the endo diet - thankfully though I have changed my tune to 'moderation' - I don't think anything really hurts you in moderation - especially for a crazy disciplinarian like myself - restriction is not my friend.

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Yes, apparently, just breathing and eating and pooping causes headaches, too. Several months ago, I read a long list of foods to avoid, and I figured that if I followed it, I might end up with anorexia, which could cause death, too, obviously. I can't win for losing.

Eat whatever the hell you want, and smack your lips when you're done, Chelle.

K said... [Reply to comment]

I know there are some people that go all out for the endo diet. And to some extent, I think you need to try certain things to see what works for you. But I've recently hit the point where I am tired of letting endo or infertility rule my life. Am I supposed to have eliminate caffeine right now? Probably. But when you ask the RE or the nurse, they say, "Oh, you don't drink coffee? Just limit your intake."

It's whatever *you* feel most comfortable with. At the end of the day, if I have another chemical, am I going to blame it on the caffeine? No. Thus, I drink my Diet Coke when I want it.

Enjoy your frap. ;)

AL said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, so much contributes to endo, that's crazy.

I think you're right to live it up, Chelle!! You only live once.

Tammy said... [Reply to comment]

I'm an endogirl too, and this post is the absolute truth. The reason why so many things contribute is because no one really knows what the deal is. I think it is both genetics and auto-immune (and I have allergies too, onset in my mid-20s) and have handled it over the long term mostly through a diet that minimizes estrogen intake (the biggest change was no longer eating chicken or other meats unless I knew the source ~ we have a family farm ~ because of the estrogen and other stuff that goes into some of the meat, esp chicken breasts in the store. My pain has often been much less when I am exercising regularly and keeping my weight off. And I do find that overeating stuff like chocolate and dairy really wreaks havoc on my pain levels but restricting it completely just seems ludicrous. Also, anemia can be a big factor in endo and not eating meat lowers the iron intake even more, kind of defeating the purpose of the diet to begin with.

You are right. You have to live WITH it, not allow it to keep you from enjoying life.

ALso, deep tissue massage, both on my abdomen and lower back was instrumental in helping me cope with pain. But mostly what helped me cope was enjoying the good stuff in life, and yes, that includes caffeine and the occasional chocolate bar.

Here from ICLW and I'm hoping that the surgery is a success and things work our for you soon.

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

Find a good allergist and just go get a shot every month... that is really the way to go. I hate taking medication more than anything, ESP after IF.

Costco also has these things called "Veggie Straws" on the chip aisle. Check them out, they are our favorite snack IN THE UNIVERSE. The baby and I eat them all the time and they are so LOW CAL!!! YUMMY!

I think your attitude about food/endo is spot on... Do what you want, don't limit yourself because some study says it might happen. Every day is an experiment in life when you think about it... Hell, driving to work could kill you. But you can't live in a bubble! You only live once. (and Dr Google is a dirty whore)

XOXO

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

It is sad how some times we can worry so much about things we don't have much control over, that we end up missing out on other things. It's amazing how much is said about how doing this or not doing that is what is always best for you. I say you eat or drink what you want and enjoy it!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary