Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

What bow? And was that your head?

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you constantly felt like a complete jerk regarding one person in your life? That was me last week.

Sunday was my little brother's birthday. I had sent him a gift and a card in the mail, but then I forgot to call him on his special day. When I realized this the next day, I felt like a total jerk. I sent him a text message telling him I was sorry, I felt bad, and wished him a belated birthday. As are all text messages to my brother, this one was filled with much joking. He gave me only a little bit of grief and then forgave me.

My birthday is coming up in the next few weeks. My husband was planning on buying me a food storage rack for our garage, but Tuesday of last week offered to fly my brother out for my birthday instead. I jumped on the opportunity. I would so much rather make memories with my brother than enjoy stacking food storage on a rack in the garage.

Long story short, my family got in on him surprising me by flying out for my birthday. My husband and brother told me they couldn't find flights cheap enough, so he couldn't come out after all. I wouldn't take that sitting down, so I went out and found a cheap flight that flew in and out at the perfect times. I'll skip the details, but my brother told me he had duties with the Guard every weekend we had tried to get him to come out, which meant he wouldn't make it out.

But as is the case with me, I wouldn't let it go. I wanted my brother out here. At one point I figured they were planning a surprise, but everyone was so good with their lies, I finally decided he really wasn't coming. Then I got frustrated and upset with him. Here I was, offering to give up a great birthday present to get him out here. We had initially offered to pay for his ticket, but my brother's excuse was constantly that he couldn't afford it, which really started to grate me. I never once asked him to fly out on his dime.

Finally by Thursday night I had come to terms with the fact he wasn't coming out, but I wasn't going down without a fight. I called him up and started the conversation with, "Let me tell you why I am so frustrated with you right now, and if you interrupt me while I'm talking, I will hang up on you." I then proceeded to rip his head clean off, but I did it in the most loving way I could under my frustration. When I finished there was a moment of silence, and then my brother said, "I couldn't book the ticket you found because I already booked one, so screw you." Then he hung up.

Toward the end of my tirade, my husband had gotten up and started walking into the room where I was ranting to tell me to knock it off, but he got there too late. He came in just after my brother had hung up. "He told you, didn't?" I shook my head and said, "Yep. I'm an @$$ hat." Holy deuce did I feel bad!

That was twice in one week that I felt like a total jerk regarding my little brother.

I called him back, and we eventually smoothed things over. I still went to bed feeling pretty bad, but promised I would be nothing but happy the next morning, and I was.

The morale of the story to me is to learn how to let things go before I rip bows and heads off of future surprise presents.

12 Thoughts:

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

Uggg! Yes, I know this feeling completely. I can be so stubborn and hard headed it isn't even funny, and when I'm mad I can spit venom. I (almost) always end up feeling like a jerk. It's a viscious cycle.

K said... [Reply to comment]

I kind of love that he hung up on you. ;)

(((brothers)))

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Oh NO! That completely sucks but at least you get the chance to make it up to him in person lol.

mckala7 said... [Reply to comment]

Yeah, I hear ya! My Mom (Dakota's Gma) forgot his birthday. Of course it wasn't until I talked her to and reminded her that she realized she forgot. Oops.

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

Hahaha... that sucks but I laugh because I can completely relate. I remember throwing a MASSIVE tantrum for my 16th birthday because my boyfriend at the time didn't make any plans for me (hello, SWEET 16?!??!) and after spending the entire morning crying and chewing him out, I opened up the door to a huge surprise party he had set up with ALL my friends and family. I still remember the photos from that party because my eyes were so red from having been crying so much. How awful was that?!

Make it up to the brother when he is here and take him to do something especially fabulous... turn the tables and surprise him a bit. :)

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I am so much like you in that regard. I've ruined many surprised (including my engagement! Oops) because I meddled a bit and pushed. But hey, we mean well, right? :-D

Glad your brother is coming to see you. I'm sure that will be great fun. :-D

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Oh bugger, I have done that before as well - yell first, apologise later. That is a great thing that you faced up to the situation and smoothed it over, good on you!

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh! Chelle, I'm so sorry! I've done that before and I've felt so horrible. Glad you smoothed things over, though. Hope you have fun with your brother...what a great birthday gift. :)

~ifer said... [Reply to comment]

Well, I have the tendency to internalize hurts like that, so I don't think I would have called him up and yelled. I am much more the "let me stew in my own pity juices" kind of person lol.

MOM said... [Reply to comment]

Please tell your brother to send you a better picture. He's much better looking than the one shown here! :D
Love,
MOM

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

This story cracks me up! I am so glad that he is going to fly out for your birthday. I know you are going to love seeing him.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Haha, I tend to do the very same thing you did about the visit. I am the planner, I must know EVERYTHING! aannnddd, oops, lol.

ICLW

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary