Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

For Leah and Taher

For those of you who have not yet visited the fabulous Leah's blog of Life According to Leah, I highly recommend you do so. Leah and her husband, Taher, are in the process of adopting internationally after two unsuccessful rounds of IVF. While we do not know each other IRL, we have become friends via our blogs as well as email. I feel like we have made a real connection with each other. At one point, I seriously considered being an egg donor for her, until my sister reminded me that I have endometriosis and am classified as an infertile and no one would take my eggs. Oh yeah.

Since I could not give her my eggs, and she issued the call for friends and family to donate items she could raffle off on her blog in an attempt to raise money for her adoption, I answered. Today I got to spend the morning with a good friend of mine doing what we like to do best together: paint ceramics at our local Co.lor.Me.Mi.ne. I painted what I hope is a lovely vase for her cause. I have one almost just like it that I did for myself a few months back, and it has had nothing but praise filled with "oohs" and "ahhhs". Since apparently so many people liked it, I made a replica for Leah to raffle off. Below are a few pictures of the item pre-firing. Once it is fired, the colors will be very dark and vibrant, and the piece will shine.


Here is the piece "in the nude", or in its bisque state.
It has good shape and form. Perfect for raffling.
First, I drew out my basic pattern with a marker that will disappear during the firing phase.


I painted the bottom a very deep, beautiful blue.
I then painted over my patern with a chocolate brown.
Next, I began painting the first of three colors for the flowers.
(You can see my fabulous friend in the background to the right. We shared all sorts of gossip.)


The flowers have all been painted, and the vase is almost all ready for firing.
It just needs one final touch....


A reminder to the winner that they helped Leah and Taher adopt!

I can't wait to see it and post pictures of the piece once it has been fired. The colors will look totally different.

I hope you like it Leah. I thoroughly enjoyed painting the vase for you and the joy that it brought me in being able to spend time with my friend.

8 Thoughts:

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Darn it, now I know you can paint/draw*, you have to go on my 'I hate those people' list lol. Seriously, that's gorgeous and I cant do art to save my life! I think you've done something seriously sweet here, but I'm beginning to learn that that's a big part of your personality.

*also applies to anyone with natural rhythm or a spectacular singing voice

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

That's beautiful!

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

What a great idea to help out a friend. Oh, and by the way, you are auper talented. I could never paint like that - it would turn out to be blobs of paint everywhere. But I'd definitely buy your vase if I saw it in a store.

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh! I seriously cried when I read this post. I honestly cannot thank you enough, or tell you how much I appreciate you doing this for me. You are simply amazing!

I am SO thankful that our paths crossed. Although we have never met IRL, I consider you a friend.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are so incredibly sweet. :-D

~Ifer said... [Reply to comment]

That is really beautiful, nice work :)

Cicero said... [Reply to comment]

I teared up too! Damn it, I;m at work! Peoples hearts are so big that it shocks me sometimes. Thank you so much! IT means more than words can describe.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said... [Reply to comment]

What a splendid idea and a very creative one too!
We have a similar ceramics work shop in our neighbourhood.. it is a great place to create a personalised pressy.
How is your little Baby Bean .. she sounds like a real live wire!
I will be keeping everything crossed for you again Chelle over the next two weeks.. Here's to Baby Bean II ..
Much love
Michele xx

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

You are so sweet to do the vase for Leah and Taher. It is very pretty and I am sure she will appreciate it.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary