Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Show and Tell

This post is in response to the Stirrup Queen's Weekly Show and Tell Thread. I am excited that I have something I feel worthy of show and tell this week.

I recently made a trip home to visit my parents. The reason for which will be disclosed in a post later this week. After marrying Hubs, but before moving to a completely different state, my dad and his siblings had the unpleasant task of cleaning out the house in which they grew up, as my grandmother had moved to a nursing home and could no longer maintain the house.

When the clean out commenced, the sad divvying of my grandparent's life possessions took place. This was the first time in my life I realized that everything physical we own in this life is just stuff. We can't take any of it with us when we die. It brings us pleasure while we are here, but it stays behind when we leave. You always hope that your possessions will go to those you love, and that they will treasure them as much as you do. In the case of my grandparent's things, I do treasure them very much.

The house cleaning was taking place right around the time Hubs and I were getting married, and so a few pieces of furniture came our way. I obtained some very prized possessions, such as my grandparent's antique writing desk, a coffee table they bought when they were newly married, and a few other personally valuable items. I accepted them, honored to have them in my home, and hoping to one day have children of my own to pass them onto.

The whole process broke my heart, and I ached for my grandmother as she watched all of her things being divided among her children and grandchildren. Some items brought tears to her eyes as she knew she would never see them again. Someone else would use her china at Christmas. Someone else would look lovingly at her trinkets. Someone else would look through her old photos, only the chances were good that the looker would not know the subjects, the subject matter, or the reason the photo was taken.

She cried and I held her in a tight hug as she instructed me to take the coffee table from her entryway. She told me it was one of the first pieces of furniture her and my grandpa purchased together. She told me that she dusted it weekly with furniture polish and to please take care of it. I promised I would.

Here I digress. It was during my trip home that my dad presented me with a cedar box full of negatives from my grandma's house. It had belonged to my grandpa. I had such mixed emotions. I wanted that box and the photos inside, but I felt an ache taking it from my dad. I know it is just stuff, but it was his father's. My dad has given me many items that belonged to his parents and were special to him, even though I could tell it was a little hard for him to part with them.

I promised myself I would get the photos printed or scanned. A few weeks ago I bought a scanner, and this past week got around to scanning the negatives. Some of them didn't turn out, but I did get some very prized pictures. They might not mean anything to most people, but they mean a lot to me. Without further ado, I present a whole slew of pictures from 1946.


My dad as a baby. THAT is fun to look at.


My dad and his two older siblings.


My aunt, at 2 years old, smelling my grandmother's flowers.
My uncle and aunt, riding tricycles on the driveway.


My great-grandmother. I never met her.


My grandmother, standing proudly in front of her flower garden.
I'm not sure who these kids are, but this picture is fun to look at.
The Christmas tree.
The table shown on the right is the one my grandmother gave me.

16 Thoughts:

~Ifer said... [Reply to comment]

I adore older pictures, and those are amazing!
Hold on to your past and your heritage with both hands.

I am glad you have part of your family to carry on with you and to pass on...

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Love the pictures. How precious to be able to look at them. I LOVE taking pictures because they capture such fond memories. And I LOVE looking at pictures of my parents and grandparents as young people. It makes me realize that they weren't always the older people they are now, and it makes me appreciate my youth SO much more.

Thanks for sharing. :-D

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

They are amazing! I too, have all the old family slides. I've done some of them and got some amazing photos of my family but I have a heap yet to do.

A.K. said... [Reply to comment]

what great pictures- and your family will treasure that everyone gets to "keep" the picture!

..al said... [Reply to comment]

I love old family picture...Black and White photos have a charm that colour seriously lack.

Can't comment on the way things got divided in front of your grandma between family, but I think it would have hurt a great deal.

Are those Hollyhocks growing in the background? The one pic where your grandma is standing in front of the garden.

Beautiful!

Lin said... [Reply to comment]

Those are great! There's something so special about old pics of family, even (or maybe especially) those you've never met! Thanks for sharing!

areyoukiddingme said... [Reply to comment]

Fantastic pictures! The best part of technology is that pictures like that can be shared with everyone.

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

What great pictures! It is so neat to get to look back on life in the 40s. To see what was important for them to take a picture. A little piece of history

Chelle said... [Reply to comment]

WG - I think those actually are hollyhocks! You're good. I didn't even think about that until I read your comment. Then I remembered my grandma talking about them one day in the nursing home and how she missed them. She loved those flowers. Thanks for the comment and reminding me of another special day with my grandma. :)

Kristin said... [Reply to comment]

What wonderful treasures. I love looking at all the old family pictures.

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Great photos!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

There is nothing like seeing old photos of your family. My father is doing a similar project with all of my grandmother's photos. It has been wonderful seeing her as a child with her siblings.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I love old photos I think they have a certain innocence about them and these ones are no different. Plus they hold so many memories for you that were created before you were even here which makes them even more special.

ICLW

MelissaP05 said... [Reply to comment]

Those pictures are amazing! Thanks for sharing them. *ICLW*

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

That is awesome that you have these photos to show your kids and they can possibly show them to their kids. It is always fun to look at old photos.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said... [Reply to comment]

What a treasure!

FYI there are (not-too-expensive) scanning services that you can try for the ones that didn't turn out, and often if they still don't turn out, you don't have to pay for them. LMK if you want a recommendation for the service I've used -- I've been very happy with it.

I've been on a big family photo kick this year, wanting to document the family history while there are still a few grandparents around to identify the faces in the pictures.

Happy ICLW!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary