My head went into a tailspin. I couldn't wrap my brain around what she was saying, or the fact that she was saying it was happening to her. I wanted to sit down and cry, but I was in the middle of a store with Baby Bean on the verge of being fussy. I choked back my tears, and checked my emotion. My personal phone call was not the business of anyone in that store. Our conversation continued for a while more, as my mom told me how she felt about all of it and how she would handle treatment. The diagnosis wasn't 100% positive yet, so she had a biopsy scheduled.
A few weeks later, the biopsy revealed that she did, in fact, have breast cancer. It was in the early stages, but it was spread throughout the tissue, leaving her with the only course of action being a mastectomy.
Not very many people know my mom recently had breast cancer, or that she had surgery to remove it. I have wondered to myself many times over the months why I wasn't comfortable talking about it to anyone. I love my mother very much, and I care about her and what she is going through, but I was having a hard time expressing it to anyone but Hubs.
After much soul searching, I realized it is because if I told anyone, it was like admitting that my mother is human. She can get sick, and one day she will die. I can't handle that thought. My mom has always been the rock. The person who never gets sick. The Eternal Being. So to hear that she had a life threatening illness was something my subconscious would not let my consciousness handle.
I had suppressed my feelings for months, and still only told a few people. I didn't want people telling me they were sorry and asking how I was doing. I wasn't the one fighting the battle, my mom was. Normally I don't turn away people's good intentions, but when it came to my mom, I couldn't handle them. I didn't want them reminding me she is mortal.
It wasn't until the day of her surgery that I finally let all of it reach the surface. My little brother sent me a text to tell me she was in surgery, and I sat there, thinking of her in the OR, sedated by anesthesia, and I cried. I cried so hard. It hurt. I ached for my mother. I couldn't bear thinking of her in an OR, and it pained me to think of her trying to recover from it all.
I had booked a ticket home a month before the surgery. I would go home to be with her and bring her newest grandbaby. I didn't care how much the ticket cost or the fact that I really couldn't afford it. I knew that flying by myself with my 5-month-old could be disastrous, and at best, would stress me to the max. In the days leading up to the trip, I managed to stress myself out pretty good. Every time I thought about getting through security, take-off, and landing, I would start to sweat and panic, but I made myself get over it. I would make it work, and I would be there for her.
Since the surgery, my mom has gone back in and been found to be cancer free. It has been determined that she will not need any further treatment. They caught the cancer earlier enough that it had not spread anywhere else in her body. She has officially fought the war with breast cancer and won!
She might be sporting a battle wound, but my mother just returned to her immortal status in my eyes. She is a fighter and a healer. With my dad, she is the glue that holds our family together through thick and thin. I am not ready to be without her, which is why I could not entertain the thought of cancer besting her, and it didn't.
I love you very much mom. You are an amazing woman, and I am honored to call you My Immortal Mother.






13 Thoughts:
Thank God she's free of it. Lots of hugs
hooray for your mom. she is a hero, just like all the other women and sometimes men , who battle this disease daily. my mother had breast cancer when she was 40, just three years older than i am right now. she found the lump herself and had a mastectomy. she is now 22 years cancer free. last year we went and had the BRACA test done to see if there was genetic involvement. I am happy to announce there was not and it was a sporadic case of cancer. You are a strong woman for being there for your mother. I was a teenager and did not know how to be there for my mom. my father was terrible at handling stress so he ran away. my mother fought that horrible disease on her own. and she prevailed. your mom will celebrate too, every day that she is cancer free is a reason to celebrate. best to you and your family
THANK YOU for your sweet words! You made me cry.
I love you, too. A lot!!!!!!
Love,
MOM
PS: Does that mean I've gone from MOM to MIM (My Immortal Mother? :)
Glad to hear that your mother is cancer free! My mom is a two time breast cancer survivor. The first time she had it I was quite young and didn't realize what was going on. Now that I'm older I realize how close I came to losing her at such a young age and it breaks my heart to think about.
ICLW
www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com
That's a really tough thing for your family to go though but what an amazing end result!!!
Hugs to you and your very brave mum!
My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer five years ago and has been cancer free since her mastectomy.
Its a very very scary thing and to see someone so strong be almost defeated broke my heart so I can understand your pain.
~ICLW
Here's to Your Immortal Mother!
I am so happy that your mother is over the huge scare, and I can understand what an emotional, physical and mental roller-coaster this must have been for you.
Double Yay!
Good Luck!
ICLW
Way to go to your mom!!!
She is a true fighter!!
ICLW
I am glad your mom is now cancer free. My mom is as well. It is one of the best feelings in the world. I am happy that you were able to fly out and spend time with her. I'm sure she enjoyed seeing her newest grand baby. Cancer doesn't just effect the one that has it but it also effects any one who knows them. It is funny though that some times the person with the illness is the one who is comforting others through their a trial that is mostly theirs.
I'm glad your mother is doing well. I hope she continues to heal.
Cancer is a scary thing. We found out a few months ago a close family member who has been breast cancer free for 15 years, now has another cancer completely unrelated to the BC. She's fighting it, but it's hard when it hits so close to home.
Amazing story, I'm so happy your mom is doing well. *ICLW*
Wow. I can't believe you kept that in, that is so hard! I am so glad to hear she is doing well and recovering. I cannot even imagine facing something so scary, you are so blessed to have one another. :)
*hugs*
I am so sorry for your Mom but am SO relieved the cancer was caught early. I cannot even imagine how scary all of this was. I know exactly what you mean about Mom's being immortal, that's how I think of mine, and it's so hard to realize our parents are human.
So glad she is on the mend, and how wonderful that you and Baby Bean got to go see her.
Post a Comment