Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, August 24, 2009

What I've Learned

I have to say that while trying to keep up with ICLW has lead to me sitting awake until 2:00 a.m. reading blogs and leaving comments like an obsessed person, I am thoroughly enjoying the experience because it has brought to my attention so many amazing women and men who are fighting the same war as me. It has been worth the lack of sleep. :)

When I started on my infertility journey, I was alone. I didn't know one other person who was going through what I was. In fact, I lived in a state that had one of the constantly highest birth rates in the country. I was surrounded by pregnant women everywhere. I honestly felt alone. I dreaded going in for each and every single appointment because my doctor was also an OB/GYN with an unsegregated waiting room, which meant I got to sit with all of the pregnant 19- and 20-year-old bitties who complained unmercifully about their pregnancies. They always took for granted that because they were there for a pregnancy, every other woman of child bearing age in that waiting room was either there because they were also pregnant, or was there for an annual pap. I can't count the number of times it took all of my will power to not jump over rows of chairs to strangle an ungrateful pregnant girl, or the number of times I tried so hard to focus on the work I had brought with me so as not to cry as I helplessly listened to complaint after complaint from an expectant mother. Too numerous were the times that I was barely able to contain my tears until the door to the exam room was shut when they would stream warm and relentlessly down my cheeks.

Then one day, I started a blog. In the beginning it was just as a joke. I had no intention of keeping it going for more than a week or so. A couple of months in, I realized I could use it as an information outlet and a journal of my journey through infertility. After a few months, I moved it over here where I had more freedom with the layout. I didn't know then that I was about to meet so many women who were fighting their own battles with infertility. I had no idea my support group was coming around the corner.

Here I am, almost two years later, and I am just now getting really involved in the Infertility/Loss/Adoption group. I've been involved with a few blogs, but not like I will be able to now that I have joined ICLW. What an amazing support all of you are. Over the past few days I have read about so many of your journeys through infertility. They are all so different, so individual, yet all the same. Some of us have been through a lot more than others, but we all want the same thing: to be parents, and we all want it more than anything.

I am so glad that I have been afforded this opportunity to meet all of you. I only wish I had jumped on the band wagon sooner. You are all incredible, strong women, and your stories are uplifting. Thank you for taking time to stop by and say hello these past few days and leave such heartfelt comments. I wish you all the best in your own journeys.

8 Thoughts:

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

I need to figure out the ICLW thing. I've looked into it, and it seems like I'm currently too late to get into the August, so I will try again in September.

I also started my original blog as kind of a joke. I love writing, thought it would be fun, but thought it would last for a very short amount of time. Well, here I am, still blogging, and I'm so grateful for everyone I've met through the process. It's a wonderful feeling knowing that I'm not the only one whose been down a particular path. :-D

MelissaP05 said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks so much for your comment. I'm also very thankful to have found such a great support group in the blog community. I wish you the best too in your journey! *ICLW*

Kate said... [Reply to comment]

It is amazing the support that IFers give one another. I'm overwhelmed and I know I would sink instead of float were it not for the amazing woman who write and read and form a community we cannot seem to create in real life.

ICLW

Baby Hungry said... [Reply to comment]

I love what you wrote. I have felt the same thing this month as it is my first ICLW. It is amazing to hear how people have overcome the same struggles as you and to get strength from their experiences. I hope that I can be the same help to someone that many have been to me. I am so glad I found this community, and that you are also benefiting from it.

Ruth L. Snyder said... [Reply to comment]

It definitely is good to know that we are not alone. Reading the blogs has brought back many memories, many of them painful. However, sharing the memories makes us all stronger. I have walked the road many of you are on, but I happen to be further up the road than many of you. After dealing with infertility we decided to adopt. Our first daughter arrived June '98. We now have 4 adopted children and the wait was definitely worth it.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

What a wonderful post. I usually get up real early to start my reading for the day. Since starting my blog, I have found an outlet for all my emotions. Sharing and learning from others ...gotta love it !

ICLW

Journey Girl said... [Reply to comment]

Cripes, you are one tough cookie, I tell you. I don't know how I would have coped if my clinic had heaps of pregnant women there but the word *massacre* jumps into my mind for some reason. I 100% agree with you on the ICLW, it has been brilliant and has really picked me up whilst I was down (plus it has really helped me pass the time whilst waiting, waiting, waiting!). Oh and JourneyMan has been so proud, thanks for the comment you left him - he is walking a bit taller right now!!

Cheers,

JourneyGirl ICLW

seussgirl said... [Reply to comment]

My ob/gyn's clinic continues to drive me nuts and hurt my heart. I see so many young, ungrateful, repeat "oops" pregnancies there, that it makes me cry for my friends who want it so badly. if it weren't for the wonderful doctors and NP's there, I would have to switch.
So glad you found and have benefited from the community!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary