Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Single-Awareness Day

Okay, I openly admit that I am not actually a fan of what I call "Crapentines." No, its not because I am bitter, I have just never appreciated the holiday. It seems so silly to me that we have to have one day a year set aside to tell the people we love that we love them. Why can't we tell and show them this the other 364 days a year? Roses would mean so much more to me if I were to get them on any other day of the year versus when the calendar prompts the delivery.

Perhaps the fact that my birthday falls so close to the holiday has something to do with it. Or perhaps I have some repressed childhood memory of getting a mean valentine from another kid in elementary school. Who knows? But for as long as I can remember, I never cared for the day. I told every boyfriend I had over the years not to do anything for me for Crapentines and threatened a breakup if he thought I was kidding. I actually had a guy test me one year. His roommates had convinced him that I was being "a silly girl" and really did want him to do something for me, so he did. We broke up. (Don't feel too bad, he was kind of moron anyway. He liked talking to me like I was a baby. NOT cool!)

I always like to test Hubs by asking him what he's getting me for Crapentines. His response, of course, is always, "Nothing!" I ask him why not, to which he replies, "Because I don't want it thrown at me!" Of course I would never throw anything at him, but we get a laugh out of the thought. "Why did you buy me these stupid roses?!" *chucks roses at sweetie's head*

But for those of you who do enjoy the holiday, which I am sure most of you do, I wish you a very happy Valentines day and hope that your sweeties adorne you with red roses, candy, and teddy bears. :)

3 Thoughts:

La La said... [Reply to comment]

Well, Happy Crapentines Day. ;) I agree, I don't do much for Valentines either. Hubby and I usually go out to dinner and a movie the following weekend (no way are we giong to battle the crowds on V day!), but we usually do that anyway. Eh.

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, I'm with you on this one ~ Dave & I don't do Valentines in our house either... we do however celebrate all the other 364 days a year... not one day has gone by since we have been together (12 years now) that we haven't said 'I love you' to each other (isn't that cute?). Chat soon, Liz

louise said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, I'm back! John and I didn't have time to buy Valentine's cards for each other this year, we decided that we were lucky enough as it was, to be spending the day together, as we haven't yet returned to work. I do love the sentiment of Valentines, but only that, who needs the commercial side of it, with the price people pay for roses it is no wonder half the country is in debt! x

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary