Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

For Beeswax

Hi Beeswax,

The best way I could think of to respond to your comment was to post a blog just to you.

First of all, I wish your daughter and her partner all the best of luck. Infertility is a painful process. You try so hard not to get your hopes up every month you undergo treatments, but it is still hard when each month produces nothing but a hormonal woman and a load of doctor bills. Its not anything I would ever wish on my worst enemy, and I wish that no one ever had to go through it.

My husband and I have been undergoing treatments for over a year now, and it has been a tough year, but one that I feel has brought us so much closer together and has really helped us gain a better understanding of each other and our love. So there are positives to be had by the process. I learned early on that it was all a matter of my outlook and how I chose to take each potential blow. But I also understand that outlook is not always easy for everyone.

If your daughter is just beginning the process, then tell her to hold on! Every time I went to the doctor, I left with my head reeling. It got the point where my husband going with me was not an option just because there was more information to take in than my brain could handle. Each visit brought choices, and always more than just two. It all came down to a matter of what I was willing to do. Yes, my husband had a say in the matter, but he always told me it was my body, and therefore ultimately up to me. Every time I thought I had my head around all of the possibilities, we'd go back to the doctor the next month and I'd feel like I had to start over on new turff.

When you say your daughter is undergoing tests, I assume you mean progesterone. I had to take those stupid tests every month for the first four months of our process. My counts were always low too. It just meant that my body was not ovulating on its own for whatever reason. If that is the worst of your daughter's problems, she is in luck. Ovulation can be stimulated by certain prescription drugs. They did get me to ovulate, but that was not our only problem.

The most important thing you can do is to be there for her, support her, and let her know how much you love her. Please think about the things you say before you say them. People always mean well, but they don't always understand the underlying meaning of their words. For example, I am always told to "RELAX!" I finally someone if she knew what she was really implying, which was that I was so uptight it was my fault we weren't getting pregnant.

The most important thing your daughter can do is to educate herself and make sure she is with an excellent doctor. I loved my first doctor, but I found out a couple months ago that she was not the best doctor for us, and we were really disappointed to find that her methods were actually hurting our chances rather than improving them. I wish I had known that about six months sooner. It would have saved us a lot of heartache and money.

I wish your daughter all the best. I sincerely hope that her endeavors to become a mother are successful and that the road is not too long. I really admire your desire to help and be there for her. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

1 Thoughts:

Beeswax, said... [Reply to comment]

Thankyou so much , that was very touching of you to insert a blog on my behalf,thankyou for takig the time and effort in doing so. I have taken on board all your advice with which I will try to follow in order to help my daughters emotional wellbeing of the whole situation, I will find out the best advice for me asa parent, but as you say , she and her Fiance are the ones who are going through this time of thier lifes, and I can only support them both inbeing there if needed.
She has had 3 homrmone tests so far now, but doctor is insisting on another one before she is passed on to the fertitlity clinic, she is so frustrated and would like to be passed now!!, but is prepared to wait another month, gosh how many months have you and your husband endured so far?, countless I guess, so in the big scheme of things I suppose at this stage for my daughter if nothing else she is learning to be patient, something which may come to be part of her life for a while, but as you say maybe and hopefully she can be given a hormone course, it may be all that is needed, fingers crossed, at the moment she works her socks off, she is a vet nurse, and is also the owner of two delightful labradors, so her time is pretty full, thankfully, although I'm sure she does not see it quite like that!
Thank you again , and was pleased you like d my pictures, I will post up some more of our special places, and where my dogs, two yorkshire terrirers, have their daily run, your dog is lovely what a n unusual colour, my other daughter has a beardie collie(which is a cross between a border and a bearded), she is adorable, as are all of them, I am sureyour pup gives you lots of fun and pleasure,
thanks again very much appreciated, wish you both well, and hopefully I can update you with my daughters progress, from a mild winter day in Scotland.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary