As some of you may recall, one of my best friends is in Turkey right now doing an IVF cycle. If you missed that post, you can read all about it here. Basically I found an article in Conceive magazine that talked about other places in the world to do IVF for less, in better circumstances, and with better success rates. One of those places was Istanbul, Turkey. For around $8k you get a full cycle, lodging, and transportation. All you have to pay for is airfare, meals, and souvenirs. They put you up in what I assume is like an extended stay hotel for 20 days, and you cycle while you are pretty much on vacation.
It turns out, Turkey has been very kind to my best friend. Last weekend they extracted 12 eggs, 8 of which made it through fertilization. Tomorrow is her embryo transfer, and it sounds like they will not only have some good candidates to put back in, but they will also have quite a few left over to put on ice. The best part about that last bit is the clinic she is at only charges $500-600 to freeze those babies for up to 5 years. Should she and her husband decide to do another cycle later, they will only have to go back for 5 days and at a fraction of the cost.
If you want my guess as to how things will go for her, I think she is coming home knocked up. The only question in my mind is, will there be two babies, or one? Both she and I felt really good about this cycle back when she started getting ready to book the trip. If there is one thing I've learned, a hunch like this is rarely wrong. It just felt and still feels so right.
Their whole time in Turkey they have had a liaison who has helped them through the cycle by delivering their meds in person and straight to their refrigerator, taking them to see the sights, and taking care of them overall. Over the past few weeks they have been able to explore Turkey and the Grand Bazaar, as well as temples, and other local attractions. They have absolutely loved every second of their experience there. This cycle has been so good to them, and I hope and pray it continues to be so.
While I am glad she has had this opportunity, and I know she is going to come home and get her BFP in the next two weeks, I am so excited to have her back here with me. I have missed her greatly, and she has not been far from my thoughts since she left.
S and A, I can't wait to get you guys home! Good luck tomorrow. I am totally praying for you, sending good vibes your way, crossing my fingers, braiding my hair, braiding the dog's hair, braiding the baby's hair, anything and everything I can to send you good luck. Love you guys!
**They transfered FOUR embies today. GADZOOKS!** (They still had four left over to freeze too.






6 Thoughts:
Turkey huh???
And what about when your hunch is wrong? I'm so not trying to be poor me right now, but my hunch was so strong and I was wrong, and honestly Chelle? I'm so freaking confused by that right now. Like I can't even trust my own gut right now. Because I was SO sure it would work. I believed it like I have never believed anything else. And now? I don't know if I know how to believe in another round.
And crap. Now I'm crying. So freaking stupid right now. I'm sorry.
I truly hope your friend has a better result and I will really be looking forward to reading about it.
And then, I may be booking a ticket to Turkey.
Got goosebumps reading this, thinks that's a good sign! ;o) Sending prayers for your friend!!
Please keep us posted on your friend! My thoughts are with her and I really hope this works. People go through such extreme measures and it just brings so much joy to my heart when it all pays off. :)
Your hunches are pretty good, I think.
*waits to hear about barfing after transfer*
:)
Fingers crossed for your bestie!! That is so excited, and very interesting. Didn't they just go to Turkey on the bachlorette or did I make that up. Anyways, I hope she not only gets an enjoying vacay but a bambino or two out of this experience!!
Wow, very cool. I love the idea of traveling with fertilizing, lol.
Post a Comment