The purpose behind this post isn't to offend, but rather to help each of us find the joy in life, even if the joy centers around someone else. If I offend anyone, I apologize up front. Please know that is not my intent. Now let's dive into it, shall we?
Since I was diagnosed and labeled an infertile years ago, I was faced with the decision that all of us are: do we let infertility ruin our lives to the point that we become bitter, or do we take the lessons and the good from the experience? I chose the latter, and doing so meant that I revoked the right look at a pregnant woman and hate her or glare at her. Instead, I chose to look at pregnant women and smile while thinking of the blessing they had been given (this excludes women we all know shouldn't be able to reproduce).
One day I was walking my dog in the park back when I was doing cycles, and there was a pregnant woman with her child walking on the same path I was. I looked at her and thought to myself, "How can I hate her when I don't have any idea what she might have been through to get those kids. For all I know they are both IVF babies." I was taken aback by the thought, as I realized a friend of mine would have glared at the woman and hated her because she had what my friend wanted and couldn't have. How is that right?
There have been many times that I come across blogs where a fellow infertile has become pregnant, and they then post that they understand if some of their readership falls away because of their happy news. I am going to be honest and say that always makes me a little angry. I don't understand. Why when all of us are fighting the same fight can we not find the joy in our blog friend's success in getting out of the deep dark pit of despair? Look at it this way. If we were all taken captive and thrown in a pit, would we hate the person who got out simply because they got out and we didn't?
It seems to me that as infertiles we should be clinging to everything that is good and joyful in our lives, even if it happens to someone else. We shouldn't be hanging onto darkness and depression by our teeth and fingernails. "Men are that they might have joy." Sometimes finding our joy means being happy for others. I personally delight in the joy of others, even when I am in a dark place beacuse it reminds me that good things do happen and that someday soon, good things will happen to me again.
Life isn't about comparing ourselves to others. That is not where joy is found. Comparing our circumstances to others only brings sadness and anger. We have no idea what is going on in the other person's life. It isn't fair to judge without knowing what they have gone through. So you don't have everything you want in this life, and it seems like someone else does, but guess what? They have their own set of problems. They have their own life deficits. We simply cannot find joy hating others for having what we want and don't have.
Another thing that has been hard for me is to watch people compare their fight with those of others. "I cycled longer than she did, so my battle was harder. She has no room to complain." That's not true. If you are an infertile, your battle is hard from the get-go. Yes, the further you get into treatments the harder you become, but can you honestly tell me the first cycle you did that failed felt any better than the last one? Each cycle is hard, and it is hard for a different reason. Who cares if Betty only went through three cycles before success and I went through 12? Betty is an infertile. She deserves my love and support as well as my congratulatory feelings. I have no right to minimize her feelings or her fight. (I am not talking about women who label themselves as infertile because they tried for 3 months on their own, or the women who do one round of chlomid and get knocked up. I'm talking about us playing in the big leagues.)
I have had two sugeries now, and I did 12 months of medicated cycles, but to me my battle is not any harder than any of yours. It really isn't. I know that some of you think I am strong, but the fact of the matter is, all of you are too. The fact that you are pursuing treatment at all makes you every bit as strong as me, and you know that if you were in my shoes you would have done all the same things I did, and vice versa. Some of us have surgery, some of us do IVF, and some of us travel half way across the world for egg and embryo donations. We do what we have to do to achieve the desired result. We are all strong.
We are the 1 in 7, and as infertiles we should stick together and share in each other's success, not hate each other when one of us gets out of the pit. When the joy to be found in your life is rare, find joy in celebrating the joy of others.






19 Thoughts:
Beautifully written- great perspective!
Wow, I LOVE your perspective on things! I think you are sooo right...and although it's hard to be positive for others when your in the pit of despair, I think it's so important too.
Well I'm not an infertile... but u and I both know that I've had my share of struggles. I agree and I think that comparing pain is not usually a good thought pattern because you never really know anyone's battle unless you walk a mile in their shoes, and even then you may not be able to understand their battles. It's hard to watch people in pain and suffering.
GREAT post! It is hard to see pregnant women when they have 5 kids in tow! A co-worker and I got into a convo the other day. He and his wife went through 3 miscarriages and over a year of trying before she finally had a bean stick. He told me she would be bitter when she saw pregnant women - even lost a few friendships because of it. I told him to remind her that she doesn't know what they went through to get pregnant... maybe it was their 5th IVF, maybe it was their 1st try... or maybe they are a surrogate for another infertile couple. It keeps it in perspective... because maybe they have been on the same journey we have! Props to you girl!!!
I watched a couple of my cousins go throughthe bitterness that you described, before I even found out I had IF problems. I decided right then that I would never act that way. I made a conscious decision to be genuinely happy for others, no matter what. I love this post, and agree 100%. Not to mention, that if you share in their joy, you also get to share in the joy of their other people's children! :)
I couldn't agree with you more on this chelle! I have actually told many of my non-infertile friends that if they ever see me starting to become that bitter infertile woman, they should slap me. I don't want to be that, and I don't want to ever begrudge someone else having what I want. I think ALL babies are a miracle that should be celebrated, and I refuse to let the green eyed monster ruin my ability to rejoice alongside those mama's to be!
After Kelsi died, I had a hard time with pregnant people. Not just because I thought thy got their easily, but because they were preggo and I wasn't. But it was so much easier for me to be happy for those that I knew had struggled to get there.
Once I got pregnant with Kate all that went away. I had something else to focus my thoughts on. I can only imagine how hard it is for a certain red head we both know and love, to watch you and I, even with our struggles.
You really have done some good with your struggles and I am very proud of you.
Love you tons!
I totally agree! I wouldn't just stop following someone just bc they got pregnant. But, I have read some poignant posts from bloggers who say that they just can't bare to read about someone else's happiness when they're in the depths of despair over their own struggle. So, I guess, to each their own. We all have different ways of dealing with it.
I choose to continue to read those blogs bc I can't let IF ruin my life and I can't dwell on it day in and day out. It's just too depressing. But I'm just speaking for myself.
You know I am with you 100% on this topic. I applaud you for having the balls to post this, too. So many IF's I've come across just don't agree with this.
REALLY? Every baby is a miracle. Whether conceived by accident or after 2 years of fertility treatments. Every.single.baby. And? I don't wish IF on ANYONE. ANYONE. Anytime I see a big belly anymore, I actually hold my breath and hope that woman didn't have to go through what I went through.
And? At the same time, I am so thankful for what I want through. Because it changed me in to the person I am and I know this is exactly why God placed that obstacle in my life. And I look at my baby girl and know that she came at the exact right time and not a moment too soon. :)
xoxo
I don't think I have ever commented here but I just had to say that I LOVE this post and I truly feel the same way. We struggled with infertility for about 3 years before adopting our son, and I really wrestled with bitterness and anger. Sometimes I would look at pregnant friends and be so mad that it seemed so easy for them. I think what I've learned through this time is that, like you said, you never know what that person has had to go through in their life. Maybe they struggled with infertility too and you just never knew it (I found that out about quite a few of my friends). Maybe they have had some other difficult challenge in life. But for me to hate a person because she can have a baby and I can't...I've come to realize what a waste of time that is. Now that we have our son I am actually grateful for our struggles with infertility. I feel sad when I read blogs of people who are so angry at friends or family members who are pregnant...I understand it, but I feel so sad because I know you can choose to respond differently and it doesn't have to eat you up inside. Thank you for posting this!
I couldn't agree more! This was well-written and well-said. Thanks for posting this.
Oh, but I still do stare a little too long at pregnant women...wondering how they got to be that way. If it was easy. If it was IVF. If it was an accident. Etc. I don't think that will ever go away..
I agree. Before I got pregnant I used to force myself to read and support my bloggy friends who had gotten their BFPs before I did. I honestly was happy for them, even while I was hurting.
I'm here from Mission:Motherhood and just wanted to say THANK YOU for this post. I just forced myself to go to 2 baby showers on Saturday for friends who are both "accidentally" pregnant, and it was HARD, but I really want to find that place of happiness for others, even when it's such a struggle for us. Mind over matter...
What a beautiful and well-written post. I admit it is so very hard to practice that in real life and in the depths of my despair I could not look at a pregnant woman. But I always am happy for those IFers who get pregnant. Every single one.
hi chelle, i'm here from mission:motherhood and wanted to chime in with (part of) the comment (now extended!) i left on her blog. i hope you don't mind that on my first comment here i'm disagreeing with you, but i wanted to present a different perspective (and it's coming from the perspective of babyloss not infertility... although we've just been referred for testing as we haven't been able to get pregnant again since)
'my best friend is pregnant atm. her due date was saturday, and i've not seen her since february. i've emailed and texted her, and i've asked for news on her pregnancy - i've even asked for scan pics! (but she doesn't have a scanner so can't email them over) - but i just cannot be in the same room as her, knowing she is feeling her baby moving around and that mine should be in my arms by now. even the thought of it makes my stomach twist up in knots.
she has been amazing about it, and she knows that i'm happy for her and wish her happiness and joy. and she knows i miss her dreadfully. but she understands that it's not simple. it's not as simple as just going into a room i know she's in. it hurts too damned much.
i don't wish on anyone the pain of babyloss. but pregnant women are painful for me. i don't hate them - my friend had to go through IVF and this is her one shot, so i especially need her pregnancy to go well, but even other, even accidentally-pregnant people, i don't hate them. i wish them joy, but i can't speak to them... at least not once they get to half way and are visibly pregnant with moving babies. not right now, anyway. and i don't think that's right and i don't think that's fair, but it's the way it is for me and i'm not going to compound my own grief and pain by telling myself i'm weak or wrong for that. life is hard enough without giving myself even more things to blame myself for.
i hope one day this changes, but i'm not making any promises i don't know i can keep.'
i hope you can understand this viewpoint. i wish i could be like you, but doing so would make me ill; it would leave me exhausted and far sadder than i am.
like i say, i hope that one day this will change. and interestingly i am fine with babies. it's just pregnant people i find impossible.
sorry for the essay!
Here from Al's blog. This is a great post - definitely makes you think. I read somewhere lately about things to say to fertiles, advice for being nice to infertiles. And it said that you shouldn't have the facebook, and the work birth announcements. Are you kidding me? I just got a work birth announcement today, and I am happy for the father I work with about his healthy baby - truly happy. I know that it was an oops baby - before he even married the baby mama. But I'm happy for him. Granted, I could feel my uterus hurt with longing, but I was genuinely happy.
But I certainly understand about the pain in reading pregnancy blogs when you've recently had a loss. When I was recently pregnant, I started following some ladies who were all pregnant at the same time. And now they're giving their 12-14 week updates, and I'm not. It hurts, but I'm happy for them. There are some posts that are all about the pregnancy, like where do I go for a hospital, or woe is me I'm pregnant posts, that I just don't feel like I have anything to add. And so I don't. But I'm happy for them - I genuinely am.
Thanks for writing this post - definitely made me think.
B, I could never be mad at anyone in your position. You have every right to disagree, and in fact, you along with a few other gals have opened my eyes to another side of things. Sadly, my sister was one of those gals.
My heart breaks for all of your pain. I know that one day your pain will subside, and things will get easier.
I appreciate your comment, and am going to write another blog post because of it. Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and helping me appreciate your side of things.
Thank you Chelle x
Post a Comment