Back on February 19th when I was sitting in the waiting room at my doctor's office waiting to be taken back for my sonohystogram to determine the extent of my uterine deformity, Hubs was thumbing through Conceive Magazine. Obviously I was a little stressed while trying to be optimistic, but needless to say, my head wasn't in TTC at that moment. As he looked through he would make little hints and jokes about the articles, "Oooh! We should try that!" I kept looking at him, trying not to let my annoyance show through as I replied, "We need to find out if we can even have any more first."
He came across an article that talked about doing IVF treatments in other parts of the world where the care and successes were better and higher, and cost a fraction of what they do here in the US. In that same article it talked about how the cost of a cycle in Turkey is around $8k and includes hotel accommodations, transportation, and the cost of the cycle. All you have to pay for is food and airline tickets. He was all over doing that if we ever had to do IVF (don't know why he'd think we'd have to), so we slipped the magazine into my purse and went back for our sono.
When I found out my best friend was considering IVF, I immediately told her about the magazine and offered it to her. She and her husband were so excited! They wasted no time getting their foot in the door. Within a month of making the initial phone calls, their trip was booked. For the next month and a half we would talk excitedly about her upcoming trip, and how we both feel really good about things. Before we knew it, it was July 10th and she was on a plane to Turkey.
I got an email from her today letting me know they had arrived and have their first appointment tomorrow. I replied and warned her husband that she may get a little moody, but that when she does, he is to tell himself, "Its not her fault, its the hormones."
While I am sad that a dear, close friend of mine is having to go through IVF to obtain the dream of motherhood, I am so glad that I have been able to be here for her as they went through each and every step. I was here for her the second they knew something was up. I am even more grateful that she let me be a part of this for her. I can't tell you how wonderful it has been to be by her side, helping her through all of this, knowing it makes this journey easier on her. When she had a question about cycles, I had an answer. When she asked about medications, I could tell her what was what. There was never a doubt in her mind that I am right here by her side.
Before she left, I asked if I could blog about her. She said, "Absolutely! If my story can help just one other person, it helps make this all even more worth it." She wanted to get the word out that sometimes IVF at home isn't the best or most cost-effective path. She also told me I can blog about her as she cycles over the next few weeks, and report on her progress.
Please friends, take a moment to pray for my friend. Her journey is different from mine, but it is for the same reason. I pray that God blesses her and her husband with a child. They are two of the most wonderful people I have ever known. They are so full of love and compassion. Not to mention, they are adorable together.
Good luck S and A! I love you guys, and am praying for you so very much.






3 Thoughts:
I can't wait to hear how her experience in Turkey goes! I never would have thought to travel out of country, but I am now insanely jealous!!
I just love this...isn't that such an awesome feeling (helping someone else)?
HUGS to you ALL!
Oh how wonderful!!! I hope it works for them!! Keep us posted!!
Post a Comment