Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dang Cool

My fetal doppler came Monday afternoon and I didn't waste any time opening the box, getting the unit set up, and finding Baby Bean. A few minutes after searching, I found the baby. I just sat there with a big grin on my face as I listened to her heart beat away. I loved sitting there listening to the baby and thinking about what it looks like right now and imagining her squirming around, kicking her little arms and legs. Of course I couldn't turn in that night without hearing the heart beat again. This time I had Mags with me, since she sleeps in my room. She was not sure what to think about the sounds coming out of the unit. She sat there cocking her head from side to side and occasionally getting closer to the unit for a visual inspection and sniff of the speaker. When I hadn't found the baby after about 10 minutes I decided to get up and fold laundry for a bit and then try again. The next time I tried it took a few minutes, but I found her again. Last night she hid out for a while, so I gave up and played tug with Mags for a bit. The second time I tried I found her. This time I could tell she was really active because her heart beat would get quiet and go away, and then it would fade back in and get really loud. Then I could hear her swishing arms and legs and she did her baby aerobics. She was a really active little squirt. I am seriously glad I bit the bullet and bought the doppler. It has made my day every day since it came and it has helped me not worry about the baby.

Yesterday evening I went and had my first prenatal massage. I signed up for a massage membership a couple of years ago, so I get a prepaid massage every month that is included with my membership. I haven't been able to go since we moved here and had about 4 prepaids before we moved here. Needless to say, I have enough prepaid massages at this point that I could have one every other week for the rest of my pregnancy. Sweeeeeet. I was hoping it would help alleviate some of the pains I've started having in my legs lately, but the therapist yesterday gave me little more than a rub down. It was a disappointment to say the least, but at least the bed was a nice, warm contrast to the freezing office I had just left. And who doesn't like a full hour of complete relaxation?

I found out from my sister last night that the leg pains I've been experiencing are sciatica pains and that there isn't much I can do about them. If you haven't ever experienced them, all I can say is that they are near excruciating. Its the muscle on my outer, upper thigh and each respective side hurts when I sleep on that side. I've been trying to sleep only on my side lately, since I am normally a stomach sleeper, but after about half an hour on my side, the leg muscle I am laying on will begin to ache and hurt so bad that I can barely move my leg. I have also been trying not to sleep on my back, since this can be bad for both the baby and me once we both start to get a little bigger, but being on my back is the ONLY way to alleviate the pain once it starts. I just hope they eventually stop or go away because it is really disrupting my sleep, in addition to be extremely painful.

Today was a sad day for me. I went and got my car registered in Texas. I cried when the lady at the DMV handed me my new plates. After getting my car registered, I headed over to the Driver License office and applied for my Texas DL. You wouldn't think that any of this would be a big deal, but it put a damper on my day. I've never lived anywhere else before, so it was hard for me to let go of that little piece of my life. Hubs was happy for the change though. He told me I should be excited and be doing the happy dance. Not today sweetie.

I guess that is it for me tonight. I am really distracted while I write this post, so you will have to forgive me if it doesn't read well or is a bit jumbled. I just can't seem to focus today. Perhaps it is the lack of sleep (that would explain the eye twitching, too). Hopefully I will be more coherent next time I post.

4 Thoughts:

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

I felt sad each time I changed my plates to live in a new state too. Don't feel weird about it. I think it's perfectly normal. :)

louise said... [Reply to comment]

I am sure you will feel more at home when your little Texan bean is born. This is just the very start of the exciting new chapter in your life which is ahead of you all. Joining the church is going to bring you many new friends and any feelings of isolation will eventually pale into insignificance. x

Steph said... [Reply to comment]

Fun to have a doppler - I think I would be doing the same thing, listening all the time. Can you believe that my doctor told me to drink Mountain Dew when I was worried about not feeling the baby. WOW that made Ali an acrobat, I didn't think that was so great for her so I didn't do it much. Hope you feet feel better soon. It is miserable when something doesn't feel good.

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering sciatica pains. I hope they ease. Mine didn't, and I found it so painful that I didn't get much sleep throughout my last pregnancy. To help ease the pain, I would get up in the night and walk around, then head back to bed for a few hours. I would often rub the general area and apply warm compresses. I don't know if that helped, but walking around in the middle of the night for a few minutes occasionally helped.

I always wanted a doppler. That's so exciting that you can listen to baby bean whenever you want.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary