Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thank You!

I had a seriously awesome day today, and for one gigantic reason: I found a new vet! So here's the skinny: I realized that my current vet was going to charge me $41.50 PER dog just for setting foot through the door this Saturday for vaccinations. The thought of yet another $200 vet bill was making me ill because I got my own lab bills for all of the blood tests that have been run the past couple months (not cheap), on top of which my car is now due for registration, which means I get to go have emission and inspections done, then I have to go register my car (which I am told by my BFF who recently registered her car it will be $160 cash), then I have to go get my new Texas drivers license. What does that mean? It means I have about $500 worth of bills and car-related expenses looking me in the face.

When I told my sweetie it was going to cost me $83 right off the top just for taking my pooches to the vet, he got steamed and told me I needed to look for a new vet. So today, I did just that. I called around and found a vet at a national pet store chain that only charges $34.50 for seeing your dog, but not only that, they waive that fee every Tues and Thurs between 2-4 for vaccinations. That meant if I took my girls there today, I would only have to pay for their shots and nothing else. Sign me up baby! In my pooches went at 2:00 on the nose. I loved the new vet, and I loved everything she had to tell me even more.

I asked how much it would cost to microchip Sades: $35 compared to $65 at the other vet who also charged a yearly $15 fee. Why the crud would they need to charge me a yearly fee? They put the chip in and they are done. They don't have to activate it or keep it activated. If I choose not to pay the $15 yearly fee, will the extract the chip next time I take the dog in? "$65 for the chip and $15 a year huh? How 'bout you take that chip and shove it up your bum?" :D

Next up I asked if it would be possible to have Sades fully vaccinated by the time we go to Cayman so that I can board my pooches. The answer: Absolutely! I wanted to kiss the new vet! The last vet would only do four sets of shots (instead of three), and would only do them four weeks apart (no sooner), which meant Sades wouldn't be fully vaccinated until the end of October. Screw that! Luckily my BFF had consented to house/dog sit just in case Sades couldn't be vaccinated in time, but that is now a non-issue.

Then to top it all off, I was looking over the pet hotel information for the same pet store chain to get an idea of the boarding facilities, the services they provide, and how much it would cost. I was moved to tears. No joke! Not that I am this pathetic, but if I wanted to call my dogs to check in on them, I could call them on the "bone phone" just to say hello. They also serve doggie soft serve frozen yogurt. My pooches will get hypoallergenic, sterilized pooch beds and get play time in the courtyard with other friendly pooches. I can also leave two personal items with each dog, and that nearly made my tears spill over. Maggie has a bear we call "her crate mate" and "Replacement Bear." The idea that she can have that bear with her while we are away makes me so happy. (Sadie pooped on her crate mate and I have yet to replace it. [No, I am not washing a poop covered pooch toy.])

As for the pregnancy, I have no idea if I'm getting fat, or if I'm showing. The reason I am confused is because I can still suck my gut in. However, I do have the "thickening" around the middle. I guess I am starting to poke out a bit because I saw the belly button scar from my surgery last October for the first time today. I have looked and looked and looked for that scar since my surgery and was never able to find it. Today, it made its presence known, and I keep lifting up my shirt to look at it. lol

I am 14 weeks tomorrow, and I LOVE being pregnant. My next appointment is next Friday, and then we will set up the appointment where we get to find out the sex of the baby! If you haven't done so already, be sure to vote on what you think the baby is in my poll. :)

Sorry this post is so scatterbrained, but I am soooo exhausted! All I can think about is how it needs to be bed time because I am seriously tired, so I am going to sign off and make my way to bed now. :)

5 Thoughts:

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

I am glad to hear things are going good for you!!!! =)
We take our furbabies to PetSmart, not sure if this is the same you are doing, but we love it! They have never let us down in 4 years and our dogs love the vet and nurses there.

I agree with you on the turning sideways and trying to figure out if it's baby weight or just plain old fat!! Hilarious! I refuse to wear anything that is not loose and I am right on your heels with the maternity pants.

*hugs*

Chelle said... [Reply to comment]

Boo, it looks like I accidentally deleted your comment instead of accepting it. :( Sorry! I just wanted you to know that the reason it isn't showing up is because I had a low brain energy moment and not because I found it rude or inappropriate.

And ouch about your kitty grooming bill!!!

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Awesome!
There are some really decent vets out there that don't charge and arm and a leg, glad you found one.
Sounds like the pregnancy is coming along nicely too, fantastic news. So you're going to find out the sex? I did, don't regret it for a moment.

Just Me. said... [Reply to comment]

I know, I feel so tired all the time. And I am trying to cope with m/s. But I'm not complaining. It's all worth it.

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

Wow (regarding the new vet). That's made me realize that I should call around for a new vet too. My cat Atticus hates the new one since we moved, and I would never have thought of calling one affiliated with a pet store.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary