The disappointment I felt with that wonky cycle far outweighed any disappointment I felt while undergoing treatments. While I was skeptical that each treatment would work, I still had hope that pregnancy would eventually happen, and so felt the urge and desire to continue. I always felt like even though I was in the infertile statistic, I would one day change to the statistic group where I underwent treatments successfully. But after my 7 days of spotting leading up to AF last month, I felt 100% completely hopeless. Yes, the bitterness of it all has finally set in. Then to top it off, I have spent more time spotting during the last 25 days than not for this current cycle. I honest to God no longer think that children are in our cards.
I realize that most people think that when you give up that is when babies happen. All I have to say to that is that those people have never been through what I've been through, and while I appreciate their optimism on my behalf, I would appreciate those words to be unspoken at this juncture of my life. I am already in a dark place, and those words at a time like this are not a comfort. I always used to think the way those people did; that if I just gave up it would happen. But now that I am to the point where I give up, I don't feel like it will happen. Ever.
I told my sweetie last week that I want to completely give up, but surprisingly, he wouldn't have it. He wants me to at least see a new doctor here and see what she has to say different from what my last two doctors said. To appease him, I will go. But I honestly do not feel like I will ever bear a belly rounded by a growing baby. The only rounded belly I will sport is the one that gets fatter and fatter despite my cutting back on sugary snacks and meal portions and daily 4-mile walks.
I do realize that there are other options, and that we probably only scratched the IF surface during our year and a half of treatments (yes, I lied and said we had been trying for a year when we started treatments because I knew we would have a hard time getting pg on our own), but to be honest, undergoing treatments made my life a hormonal living hell, and it will be a cold day in hell before I excitedly sign myself back up for that program.
Before we moved a couple of months ago I threw out the hundreds of condoms that we bought or were given when we first got married. Yesterday I threw out the Sponge contraceptives I found lurking in the corner of a drawer. I couldn't help but smile in that moment and think that the upside to not being able to get pg means we will never need contraceptives again. I will never need to go on birth control or get an IUD (intra-uterine contraceptive). We can pretty much do whatever we want whenever we want and never need to worry about putting a bun in the oven and the inconvenience of it all. Maybe not being able to have children isn't such a bad thing.
The other side of never having kids is whom do I leave all of my crap to when I pass over? Whom do I leave my grandmother's antique furniture? I want to raise a child and be the beaming mother of the bride or groom.
I guess its just time for me to leave everything baby behind and face the facts. My hope for a family is gone. I am not the first, and I won't be the last woman to go through this. I will just have to find fulfillment through my marriage, my family, my precious pooches, and the scads of money that will build up in my bank account. Now if I could just pull myself out of my current funk. I haven't been here for long, but I already hate it and want so badly to get away from it. I hate being in this mental place. Perhaps I should turn my thoughts from babies and funks to learning my new job and really excelling at what I do and really focusing on losing my newly blooming gut that makes people ask/wonder if I am expecting (I'm really not that big at a size 4, but apparently I'm big enough).
Enough dullness for one day. I'm off to read all of your happy blogs.






9 Thoughts:
I'm sorry that you feel that way but totally understand. I find it really hard to think that it will never happen or if I had married someone else I could have a load of kids by now. But I love MY husband and couldn't imagine being married to someone else just to have the kids. I want to give up but my mind won't let me. We are looking at adoption but nothing takes away from wanting the morning sickness and the kicking from within. But most of all I just want a child to love. I wish you all the luck in the world coming to a sane decision about ending this fantasy about having children.
I am so sorry. :(
I do hear you about the contraception. I realized a couple of months ago that we won't ever need to worry about that again. In spite of all the IF crap, it was kind of liberating.
I pretty much believe our lives are mapped out for us, we all have good times and we all have bad times. The most important thing is to keep smiling, and keep reading those happy blogs! x
You are totally entitled to stopping when YOU feel it's time to stop. I know we've all said this, but it's so true that it bears repeating: Each of our experiences is our own. We relate to them and deal with them the best we can, and only we can decide what is best for US in the end. It takes a lot of courage to make a decision like that. And if you do change your mind in the future, you're completely entitled to do that as well. This whole process isn't linear or neat. It's messy, confusing and difficult. And if the people who say "Give up and it will happen," or who say, "think happy thoughts and it will happen," would only realize how many difference cycles of "giving up," or "thinking happy thoughts" we've gone through without results, they may just hold back on that "advice." Someone has to be the statistic. Not everyone gets what they want out of life, and not everyone gets to have a biological child. Many times I, too, feel like I will be the statistic. I wish people would think about that before they jump in with, "I know it will happen for you! Just think positively!" bleh.
I often feel like you do, as you can see by my ramblings. ;) I hope we both find the solution that leaves us with the most peace. I know realistically that I still have an eensy chance of getting pg (and having a baby) someday, but it seems like such a small chance that I'm even beginning to lose the daydreams I used to have on what it would be like.
Hang in there and lots of hugs and good wishes as you work through it. That's the best any of us can do.
I understand how you feel, this is soooooooo hard. This journey that seems damn near impossible some days.
I am thinking of you and rooting for the hope of what CAN be.. I also want to tell you that my RE is the MAN. Seriously, he is one of the leader in uterine issues and I feel more trust for him that I ever thought I would with any doctor.
Anyways, he is at medical city Dallas. I know you are seeing another RE first, but if you don't get warm fuzzies from him/her, I would love to refer you to Dr. C. What I love is he is the kind of guy that will tell you up front if there is nothing *he* can do and I think that level of honestly is invaluable in such a dishonest industry!
*hugs*
Hi Chelle, not going to comment on the majority of your blog as you know that I can't even begin to put myself in your shoes, but... size 4? SIZE 4 IS TOO BIG? Good grief, I think my legs are probably a size 4 each! (I know US sizes are different to UK, but even doing the conversion, that's a slim figure you have girl!) Oh for the days of standing in my underwear, looking down and still being able to see my knickers! Or for the days when elasticated waist trousers weren't my favourite choice for comfort(or for the days when I dressed to impress and not just for comfort). Nowadays the only real impression I make is the dent I leave in the sofa cushion...
take care, xx
I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way ((hugs)). But I have to say (and I know that you may not want to hear this), but I have felt that exact same way MANY times over the years. Also, I wanted you to know that for the past few years I have had spotting 7 days or so before AF *every* cycle - and I still got PG.
I never did find out what it is (though in most people it is a progesterone issue). That said, I know you have made your decision and I totally support you - I just wanted you to know that I was in very similar circumstances and it turned out that I was able to get pregnant with IVF.
Anyhow, focus on YOU right now. Get a pedicure, get away for a weekend and play with your fur babies!
Chelle,
Just wanted to tell you that I love you! Miss you! and you are in my prayers! Lots of hugs and kisses!
PS. I also wanted to say that I love what pretty practicals had to say! She is right on and you have a small frame. LOL!
Post a Comment