Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, May 12, 2008

She Has Arrived

My pup has been born! I got a phone call from the breeder yesterday informing me that he had a female pup for the taking and that he had sent me pictures of her so I could take a look and see if we were interested. I immediately went out and checked my email to take a peek at the pup affectionately dubbed, "Lorna." Yes, her name will change ASAP, and that will be addressed later in this blog entry. After viewing the sweet little puppy pictures below, I called the breeder back to ask what number she was in the litter, hoping she was the runt, but alas, she was born right in the middle. I had hoped for the runt because they are usually the smartest and snuggliest dogs, but the fact that she is not the runt can be got over. Maggie is the runt in her litter, and I picked her out when she was only 3 weeks old. The thing that is funny to me is that the new pup looks the same size at a few days old as Maggie did at 3 weeks.

Now the moment you've been waiting for, pictures of the new pup:

I love the fact that her white collar doesn't go all of the way around her neck. Maggie's doesn't either. I also love the fact that this pup's white socks go all of the way up her arms. In many ways this pup reminds me of Maggie's half sister, Roo.

Can you believe that they come so small?!

She almost looks like a little guinea pig. What a sweet baby.

Now for the naming. I know that my poll showed the favorite name for the new pup was Molly, and we had every intention of naming her Molly, but have decided against it for a couple of reasons; the first being whenever I thought of the new pup, I kept thinking of her as Sadie. The second reason is that we thought Molly might be too phonetically close to Maggie, and the dogs would get confused. Hubs doesn't care for the name Sadie, and truth be told, I don't like where I got the name.

I will post the full story tomorrow in a post completely dedicated to my first Border Collie, Roo, who was a very, very special pooch. But to keep from going into a long story now, I got the name Sadie from the day that Roo died. I was sitting in the vets office just after I had let her go, and the nurse came in with a book of options so I could choose what I wanted to do with Roo's body. I chose cremation so that I could always keep her with me, and in this book was a page where I could pick the box I wanted to have her put into. The name on the box in the picture was "Sadie." I really like the name Sadie, but I am afraid it will always remind me of the day the Roo died. Hubs and my little brother both voted against Sadie for that reason, which leaves us with Sidney.

Now I turn to my blog friends and readers again. I know you have all already voted on the puppy's name, but I hope you all understand the reason for putting the name to a vote again. This time there are only two options that are not phonetically close in sound to Maggie, and they are Sadie and Sidney. I am torn because I really like the name Sadie, and I like it better than Sidney, but I am afraid it will remind me of the day Roo died. So please take a moment and hit the poll one last time to help me make the final name decision.

9 Thoughts:

~kamie~ said... [Reply to comment]

Such a cute little puppy! How fun!

Kara said... [Reply to comment]

I vote for Sidney, we have a Sydney (and Foster). We were not very creative in picking out names for our Austrailian cattle herding dogs but they fit now and I would not change them for the world.

Sorry to hear about Roo, we have two dogs that have passed away in our family in the last 4 months and it's EXACTLY like loosing a member of the family. I'm still grieving thier loss.

Good thoughts and vibes sent your way.

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

*grumble* fiiiiiine, if Molly as a name is out, I vote for Sidney. (and, come ON, Molly & Maggie?? SUCH a cute name set!)

But, in "Sadie's" defence, perhaps at the beginning it will only remind you of the day Roo died. I'm fairly sure that as you get to know your pup and she grows, you'll start positively associating (does that make sense?) the name with this wonderful new puppy.

Why don't you decide when you meet her? I named my puppy Molly because, well, she looked like one. And she took to the name awfully fast - within a day she knew it was hers. Maybe you'll even come up with a different name altogether!

/end blabber. :)

La La said... [Reply to comment]

Awww! She is cute beyond words!! I am such a dog fanatic...EEEEeeee! I have a big, goofy grin on my face right now. Congrats on the new "baby"!!

finallyitcouldbe said... [Reply to comment]

She is so cute, I can't wait to see her with real fur and a wagging tail!

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

oh, so cute!!! i love puppies, they are so adorable. ;) lucky you! you're a new mom!!!!
i think if sadie brings up painful memories you should go with sidney... name association is very strong, stronger than i think we realize sometimes.
good luck!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Soooooooooo CUTE! I chose Sidney b/c I know so many Sadie's, and it seems more old fashioned to me. But remember that it's ultimately what you feel most comfortable with!
xo

KE II said... [Reply to comment]

Ohhhhh, she is just SO cute!!! I bet you CAN'T wait to get "Sidney" home!!
Guess that shows you my choice then. I'm all for Sidney, I have to admit that I voted for it a couple of times on your last poll, think it's just cause I live here ;)

louise said... [Reply to comment]

I would choose the name Sidney. You need no unhappy memories of the past, just happy thoughts for the future. x

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary