Its in moments like these that I go into a bit of depression and wonder why people who don't want children can have them. Why people who have children and mistreat them can have them. But people like me, who will go to these horrible lengths to become parents just can't seem to catch a break. I would like to say a big part of the reason I feel this way is because of all of the stress I've been under lately with the move and new job, but God's honest truth is that I feel this way because I can't believe after the last 2 years I am right back where I started. I feel like all of the hope I felt after my surgery has been dashed, and all I want to do is cry. Yesterday at work I holed up in my cubicle with my headphones on and rejected all social interaction. Not because I am bitter, but because I am just plain disappointed.
I can't help but allow thoughts that maybe this all just too much trouble, and that maybe it just isn't worth it. I think to myself that maybe I really need to throw in the towel and call it quits. Perhaps I need to realize that my life will never include children of my own that I will get to raise and watch grow up. There will be no weddings, no grandchildren, no one to pass my grandmother's heirlooms onto. It all just seems so unfair.
At what point do I give up? I'm not willing to give IVF a go because I can't justify spending that kind of money on the off chance I MIGHT get pregnant. I couldn't handle the small potatoes in the infertility world as it was; things like FSH shots, every-other-day ultrasounds to check my ovaries, HCG triggers, chlomid, birth control, etc. I hated who those things made me and the way they made me feel compounded with the monthly disappointments. So do I give up now? Do I go to the doctor here and seek out a third opinion? If I don't like the third opinion, do I seek out a fourth? At what point do I draw the line?
I think this recent setback is going to be the absolute hardest to get over. I could handle it better when I would do the full gamut of treatments and end up with nothing but a hormonal, crazy me. I could handle it when our IUI didn't work. But I don't know if I can handle this. I was never as depressed after those treatments failed as I am about this. I never pulled into my shell the way I did the last couple days at work. I don't even want to talk to anyone about this or about anything at all. Maybe it is the setback compounded by the stress of the past couple months. Then again, maybe it belongs 100% to itself. To top it all off, my close-knit support group is gone. The people who helped me through the past year and a half are now thousands of miles away. The doctor I trusted is thousands of miles away. My smiling, hopeful, helpful, caring doctor. This just plain sucks.
So here I stand, at this precipice, wondering, waiting, thinking, deciding.... What is my next step? What do I want my next step to be? Maybe it just isn't in my cards.






5 Thoughts:
My heart goes out to you!
It's such a personal journey, determining the length is decided only by you and Adam. It sucks, it's hard and you have EVERY right to be sad about this.
Unfair is the perfect word, totally perfect. Hang in there and I hope the blog world can be a support for you. I honestly don't know how I would make it through the week without you and others in the blogosphere. Just knowing you are all going through the same feelings and emotions is a comfort and sustains and strengthens me in a very powerless situation.
You're right. I've been mulling a post very similar to this one for a while. I just get so angry that I was one of the "chosen few" to have to deal with this. There are a lot of whys and "if I am only a good girl..." bargaining involved. It's been so bad for me lately too that work has been involved. This is all compounded by the fact that I'm still strongly grieving my Grandfather and the loss of my best friend's support. It was a while ago, but it still shook my world up so much that ramifications are still being found.
I'm sorry. It's so inadequate to say, but there's nothing else I can say. Assvice just makes one feel completely worse. It's like a mesh bandaid on top of a gushing artery wound. It just doesn't help. All I ever want is someone to say, "I understand. I'm here with you. I'm sorry for all this." And it happens so little. But here in the blog world at least we can get it once in a while.
By the way, one of the reasons this part has been particularly difficult for me is because it's the end of the line for us. We have very little in the way of treatment options left. Sounds like you are facing similar thoughts. I've also just started to realize that adoption will come with its own set of rejections and heartache, and I just am so scared to start that all over again. It's enough to make me want to crawl under the covers and cry.
So here you go Michelle... I really am sorry. I really, truly get it, and I'm here to listen.
xoxoxoxoxo
Michelle, I don't know your inner depths and emotions, I know nothing of how you feel. Maybe if you can focus on the things that are going right, god willing given time, this one thing that you want so much, will happen. x
There's no words, this journey is a bitch.
I hope you found a great doctor, though, and can find peace in your decisions. And if you don't like this new RE, let me refer you to mine. He is the best.
*hugs*
Post a Comment