Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Can't Make This Stuff Up

So much to write and so little time!

I will start out with a letter from my body.

Dear Chelle,

You don't know me. You don't own me. So please quit trying to figure me out so that I can quit thwarting your every move. My pitching arm is getting great at throwing you curve balls. Please learn this lesson already: you can't control anything I do, so stop!

Sincerely,
Your Body


I went in to see my RE last Thursday on CD9, and based on the fact that the readings on my Ov.acue were really low, I knew something was up. Something wasn't quite right. So I went in braced for disappointment. Unfortunately for me, my RE was working with a future RE in training, so I felt like my appointment was not for me. He inserted the ever friendly d-cam and started looking around while talking to Trainee. First he wanded over to my right follicle while failing to tell me if my lining was good or not, which I wanted to know because I had started the estrogen patches on CD6. Right away he found a gigantic cyst that looked be at least 15 times the size of a mature follicle. I kid you not, it was huge. Then he wanded over to the left ovary and found that I had multiple follicles, all at around 10mm. He then told me that I did not have a dominant follicle yet and handed the wand over to Trainee, all the while giving her my "interesting history."

At the end of their exam, he told me the cyst was a watch-and-see deal, but that there was a slim chance of it being chosen as the dominant follicle. He then said I should not worry that I didn't have a dominant follicle yet. Ha! On CD9 I know I should have a dominant follicle. Don't worry, my @$$! After I got dressed, I walked up to the front counter and called him over to ask why no dominant follicle had been chosen yet. He then told me that a dominant follicle is chosen when it is around 10mm, and I had a bunch of them.

I left the office feeling, once again, deflated and disappointed. SNAFU, that's me. If things are not SNAFU with me, something is wrong. If anything ever goes text book with me, something is wrong. The only thing predictable about my body is unpredictability.

Although as I drove back home, I started thinking about things and realizing that with "multiple" 10mm follicles, it could be possible I would produce more than one egg this month. I didn't mind the idea of having more than one chance at conception. However, the fact that the cyst could be The Chosen One was always present in the back of my mind.

I then spent the rest of the weekend keeping my mind on other things while knowing full well this would not be my cycle once again.

Sunday night (CD12) my monitor readings dropped, which means that my body is preparing for ovulation. I expected they would drop even further Monday night before spiking and confirming ovulation on Tuesday, or CD 14, which would be a new early ovulation record for me. Apparently my body had other plans.

When I took my reading Monday night (CD13), my monitor confirmed ovulation.

Wait. What?

I then spent the next hour on the Ov.acue website reading about secondary fertility, which occurs when more than one follicle matures and the one that had originally been chosen as the dominant follicle falls behind, and a secondary follicle takes over. In that case, I would have another LH surge and get another ovulation confirmation in a couple of days. I was convinced this was what was happening, as I have never ovulated so early since I started keeping track almost 5 years ago now.

This morning I went to the RE bright and early. I bombarded him with a billion questions I had come up with after reading my new book (more on that in a later post), and then we began the exam. In went the d-cam, and the sono commenced. First up was the left follicle, the one with all of the 10mm follies on Thursday. There was nothing. It was smooth as a baby's bottom. My heart sank. Then he moved over to the right. After looking for a second he said, "You have already ovulated."

Wait. What?!

"Your kit was right. You have already ovulated." He showed me the ruptured follicle and then went back to my lining, which he said was already showing leutinization, which means my progesterone had already taken over. (On a side note, I finally had an awesome lining! Woot! Woot!)

When I was checking out after the exam, I told Dr. D that if I had a dime for every time I left his office with this expression on my face :O I would be able to pay for all of my copays and prescriptions.

So, I am once again in a TWW. I don't have a lot of hope for this cycle still, as Hubs and I were supposed to do The Deed last night, but he had been sick with a fever for almost 24 hours and wasn't feeling up to it. I told Dr. D that, but he felt we still had a chance today, and so should try anyway. He also thinks we still have a good chance because we did our thing over the weekend too. I don't know. I had already written this cycle off, so I don't think it will be too crushing when AF shows up in 10 days.

In other exciting news, I get to start Prom.etrium on Friday, and am going to see an acupuncturist for the first time tomorrow morning. I promise to blog about that experience as well as tell you all about the book very soon.

12 Thoughts:

M.A said... [Reply to comment]

Hey Chelle-

WTH is going on??!!? Our bodies are so complex and confusing aren't they? Just when you think you know your cycles very well, it throws you a curve ball!

I did acupuncture from January to May 2010 and I really think it works. I know that it didn't work for me, but I don't think I gave it enough time. I know 3 women that did acupuncture and were totally successful. One girl she conceived naturally with only acupuncture and herbs! The other two, they did IVF cycle concurrent with acupuncture. I wish I could afford to have acupuncture treatments along with IUI cycles with the RE, but the costs were getting out of control!

Anyway, good luck girl! Let me know how your visit goes!

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

Can I beat your body up please? And tell it to just stop picking on you already!!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. . . Talk about unpredictability. On the plus side, your ovulation detector is definitely working! I'm so sorry for your frustrations, but I agree with you RE that there is hope. Thinking of you!

Jill said... [Reply to comment]

The weekend could have done the trick for sure! The first time I got pregnant hubby had gotten sick too and I know for a fact we had DTD 5 days before I ovulated!! Good luck!!!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Craziness! I think there is still hope too. Remember how I thought there was no way in Hell that I was going to get pregnant until 2 months after I did because of when Kenny was out of town? Hope it works that way for you too. :)

Suzanne said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry that your RE appointment didn't go as well as you had hoped, but it's encouraging that your RE still has hope for this cycle :)

Obviously acupuncture has not given me my BFP yet, but I have found the whole acupuncture experience to be invaluable. It has helped to make me more centered, more self confident, healthier, and less depressed. It has also given me regular cycles for the first time in my life. I have nothing but good things to say about acupuncture. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first appointment!

AL said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, this is so frustrating! Seriously, if only it did the same thing every month so you knew what to expect! Come on, body, help a girl out! There's still hope, Chelle, you never know!

Kathleen said... [Reply to comment]

why don't our bodies listen to us, huh? enjoy your acup session! hope you enjoy it.

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

Wow that is craziness! Congrats on the good lining though!

AnxiousMummyto3 said... [Reply to comment]

Those are some crazy appts! The good thing is you are ovulating though. Still crossing fingers for you, good luck Chelle :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Fingers and toes crossed for your 2WW lovely lady! and I hear you on the growing up too fast as I was super excited to get babe potty trained I was less then thrilled to move her into a twin bed. Though your daughter is an absolute cutie, such great photos and that gerbil video takes me back to my youth. Thanks for posting it.

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

Hahaha.... it's such a shame these things didn't come with proper instruction manuals, eh?

xoxo

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary