Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Too Fast

This past week has been tumultuous and emotionally difficult, but not for the reasons you would think. I'll just sum it all up by saying I have had enough of puke, poop, and piddle not being in their appropriate places in my house. The puke belonged to my daughter, and the other two belonged to each of the respective dogs.

Hubs and I had been talking recently about when it was time to move Baby Bean into a toddler bed. I loved the idea of keeping her in her crib until she was able to climb out on her own, which is how my parents did it with all of their kids. But Hubs didn't like the idea of BB trying to scale the crib and falling on her head. I also liked the idea of keeping her in her crib as long as possible because I cannot bear the thought of my baby growing up!

This is one of those situations like a pregnancy test with me. Sometimes I have to just close my eyes and get it over with. So Saturday night, we converted BB's bed to a toddler bed.

I can't even begin to tell you how it wrenched my heart! The only other time I have cried so far about changing the bed is when we moved it down a setting for the first time. Once the bed was converted and BB was jumping on it, I cried. Great, big crocodile tears.

It seems like I tried forever to bring this little girl into my world, and she is growing up in the blink of an eye. Can't time just slow down a little bit? Does she really have to grow up so fast?

Getting into the Big Girl bed for the first time.

This smile broke the camera.

As if that weren't enough, I kid you not, right after that bed was set up, she took off her diaper and said she needed to go potty. So she ran down to the bathroom and waited for me to hoist her onto the toilet seat. This was the first time she had even hinted at wanting to use the toilet. I couldn't believe it. This is all seriously going way too fast.

That night after she went to bed, I ran to the store to buy her a step stool to get up into her bed, and a potty training potty. The next morning when she told me she needed to go potty, I took her upstairs and let her help me set up her new potty. I sat her on it, but of course nothing came out. Tonight, however, after I got her undressed to get in the bath, she said she needed to go potty. So I took her in, sat her down, and asked her if she was going to go potty. She said yes, and the next thing I know, she was actually going potty! I couldn't believe it! She went again after her bath.


BB's new potty.
(No, I did not take a picture of her next to her "accomplishment" like some TV stars do. This was just before she used it.)

THEN, as if all of that wasn't hard enough, my sister was finally able to bring her baby home from the NICU last week (which is awesome and exciting news and not the part that is hard), so I had to pull all of BB's clothes down from the attic to send to her. Of course everything needed to be sorted, washed, and then folded. So I had to come face to face with newborn and 3 month clothes that I thought were going to be up in the attic until I was happily pregnant. It tore my heart into a million tiny pieces as I folded the clean clothes and remembered BB wearing them. I wanted to cry and asked my husband if he thought we would ever have another one. He says he does. I think we will too. I just wish I knew when. And in a post for later this week I will explain to you all why I have no hope for this cycle. None. (I had a weird appt with my RE last Thursday; I go back on Tuesday, so stay tuned).

As usual, I don't want to leave my post on a down note, so I will provide you with some much requested gerbil footage. I tried to take pictures, but it is really difficult to get these little guys on camera yet. They are still pretty skittish and shy, and I don't think a flash would help ease them into their new home, so I took some video instead. (At about the minute and a half mark, you can hear them talking.) Enjoy!

10 Thoughts:

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

It sounds like she is potty training herself! I know it's rough having her grow up, but my oh my friend - that is one beautiful and brilliant little one you have there!

Fran said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! She is really growing! But for as sad as it is, you have to be proud of yourself for such an accomplishment!
And love the video! they are really cute!!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

My baby girl is now 7 months old, and I totally know what you mean about it all going WAY too fast. I cried when we moved her crib down a notch, I cried putting away her newborn clothes, and couldn't believe that my baby girl ever fit into them to begin with! Then she started sitting up, then eating solids! Seriously, this whole mothering thing is just emotional!

I also have a strong feeling that there will be kids in your future. It's always so hard to not know the when, but I just know your family isn't complete. Just like my husband always felt that I would be pregnant someday.

Thinking of you and your baby bean. . . who will forever be your baby girl. . . no matter how big she gets. :)

AL said... [Reply to comment]

Aww, she is such a big girl! Looks like she loves her new bed and it's awesome she's interested in using the potty already.

Good luck at your re appt tomorrow.

Kate said... [Reply to comment]

That is seriously the biggest smile I have ever seen...SO CUTE!!! She looks so proud of her big girl bed :)

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

From baby to lady over night, eh?

It is insane how much things happen after 18 months... like they grow in leaps and bounds instead of baby steps (quite literally). We are converting from crib to full sized bed in the coming weeks and I am with you on the pangs of letting go. I cannot BELIEVE that child is potty training herself! Can you send me your secrets pleasE? That is just fabulous!!! That picture of her smiling on her bed is TO DIE.

You are one blessed mama. Keep heart... I have faith God has good things in store for you.

xoxo

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Holy cow, she is growing up sooooooo fast!! Sweetie, I know that this is most likely not going to help but seriously give yourself a long hard pat on the back for bringing up such a beautiful, clever little girl!! She is a treasure, that's for sure!!

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, she is growing up waaaaay too fast! I'm so sorry. :( I wish time would be able to slow down some for ya.

AnxiousMummyto3 said... [Reply to comment]

Oh Chelle! She is so gorgeous but it must have been hard packing up the clothes and setting up her new bed. You are being so brave and i'm sorry there is no hope for this cycle. No, you didn't miss anything! Although I am convinced boy, I don't know what i'm having! I can't see the gerbil footage on my iPod, will check it out once laptop is free! Take care

Suzanne said... [Reply to comment]

Baby Bean is so adorable - you must be so proud of her! Thanks for including the gerbil video. The gerbils are just too too cute :)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary