Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Why Do I Blog?

This morning as I was getting ready for work I was thinking about my blog. There have been many times I've thought about quitting and taking it down. Every time I do, I ask myself why I do it in the first place. The answers are always simple.

In no particular order, the reasons I blog:
  1. My family is usually the first reason that comes to my head when I ask myself why I keep going. We live hundreds and thousands of miles away from our families. This blog is a way for them to keep up with us and know what is going on in our lives when we can't talk every day or see each other very often. As much as I know it can pain my infertile friends, I post lots of pictures and the occasional video of Baby Bean for the grandparents and my siblings. I feel so torn because I want the pictures out there for the fam, but I don't want my infertile blog friends to feel like I am flaunting. If I post lots of pictures and it is painful for you, feel free to opt out of the post. It won't hurt my feelings. I've been there, and I understand.
  2. It is therapeutic. This blog was originally created as an outlet for me and as a journal of sorts to talk about my world with infertility. Here I could keep track of my thoughts and feelings as I went through the process. I started it all on a different blog, and then moved it over here after my lap, so occasionally my readers will see a blog post from my previous blog. The reasons for that are twofold: 1) I want all of my infertility adventure posts in one place; and 2) They just might help someone else who is struggling by either giving them hope or information they did not already have. It feels good to write about my thoughts and feelings, and provides me with an outlet where I can mull them over somewhere other than my head.
  3. I can provide support. When I started undergoing infertility I was going it alone. I didn't know anyone else who was suffering from it, but I knew there were other couples out there who were. I chose to use my experience to help uplift and educate others, to show them that they were not alone. I decided that instead of being hurt by infertility, I would use my experiences for something positive. In going through my own battle, I hope my words have provided support and love to those who are struggling. I can also empathize with the struggle of others, so most of the time I know what not to say, and can hopefully provide encouragement.
  4. Blog friends. I have "met" some incredible people through my blog. Getting comments from blog friends really brightens my day. I love that we are all here for each other through thick and thin. I love being there for all of you and providing you with words that I hope are meaningful to you. Each comment I leave is very heartfelt and is never a canned response. It is my way of providing all of you with a hug no matter the circumstance. Sometimes I have no words for what you're going through, but my heart and my thoughts are always with all of you, and I mean that. I am constantly sending all of you well wishes and praying for you. You're a great group of women who are all very strong and caring.
  5. My battle isn't done. There will come a day (in less than 4 months) where I will be back in the Baby Making Rink, and I will have moments where I will need all of you as much as you sometimes need me. I will be the one who needs to be lifted up, who needs the words of encouragement, and the hug a comment can provide. I try not to think about this one too much, as I haven't yet reached that bridge, but it is always in the back of my mind.

In short, it helps me keep in touch and helps me stay sane. With a list like that, I think I will be around for a while.

9 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I have to say that I LOVE your blog, it has been very encouraging me to...infertility wise & also seeing your success has given me hope as well. I know everyone is different and some struggle more with seeing others overcome infertility, personally it just gives me hope. Everything you post seems to be from the heart and I have really enjoyed reading...I say keep up the good work!! :)

~Ifer said... [Reply to comment]

Well I for one hope you don't stop writing. There are other blogs that I read to fill the time during the day, and then there is yours that I read because I feel attached to the story.

Good post!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I love that you blog. I love reading your thoughts and being a part of your life. I love your writing style.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said... [Reply to comment]

All great reasons.

I have to agree, the "friends" I have made via the net have been as good or better than my IRL friends in a lot of cases. Pretty amazing if you ask me!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

I for one, am SO glad you're sticking around!

I think I blog because I feel empty without it? It is weird to me when a day passes without me having done a post.

Louise said... [Reply to comment]

Love this post. You mention many reasons why I blog too. We lost touch for a while, but from now on I shall pay more visits. x

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Absolutely love this post and agree 100%. I'm so blessed to have you as a fellow blogger. You're so supportive and can't wait to support you in your next baby-making journey. :) (((HUGS)))

Mom said... [Reply to comment]

I read your blog every day too. And I LOVE the pictures of the baby because if you didn't post them, I would never get to see her and share in her successes and growth. THANK YOU for posting!!
Love you,
MOM

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

These are all wonderful reasons to blog. :-D I love that you don't leave canned responses. Everytime you respond to one of my posts, I feel like it is a comment from the heart, and I really appreciate that. :-D

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary