Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

What Then?

The past few weeks I have been watching the counter in my sidebar slowly count down the days until my IUD removal when we will once again be back in the TTC saddle. When I first put that little guy up there, I was excited. I couldn't wait for it to get to zero. Then the last few weeks I realized I could wait, and for couple of reasons.

The first and biggest being that once it gets to zero, it means my daughter is a year old. Just like my pregnancy with her, I relish each and every moment we have together because I know she won't be a baby forever. I sometimes struggle with the fact that she will grow up. I just want to savor these minutes and make them last forever. It will all go by too quickly, just as the past 8.5 months have.

The second reason is that while I thought I was all on board with TTC #2, I realize I am kind of scared. I don't think it really, honestly sunk in with me what that entailed until the last couple of weeks, and now I'm in a bit of a panic mode, willing that counter to take its time. I don't know that I am ready to get back in that saddle. The one that takes the intimacy out of my relationship with my husband. The one that has me biting my fingernails as I wait for results on OPKs and HPTs. The one that has my brain solely focused on it and barely anything else most of my waking hours. I don't want the last one to steal from my time with my daughter.

On top of the stress just brought on by TTC, I now have the added bonus of worrying about the pregnancy. I get the pleasure of praying that I won't miscarry because the embryo implanted in the same scar tissue my daughter did. Along with that, I get to worry about if it does, will its placenta make its way through my uterine lining and implant in my bodily organs, resulting in potential death to the fetus as well as me. I also face a small chance of an immediate hysterectomy, eliminating the possibility of more children. I won't even go into the other fears that one alone brings on.

Then there is the fear of premature birth. I have already been told I will not carry to full term again. My future children (God willing) will be born early via c-section because of my uterine rupture. I just worry that the birth will be too premature. I don't wish all of the potential complications that come with prematurity on my child. I realize that many babies are born early and end up being just fine. I know of one in real life who was born at 26 weeks and is the most perfect, on track little girl.

Sometimes when I tell people what we will be up against, they ask if I am serious about wanting more. Do I really want this? Yes. I really want this. There is no question in my mind. I want it even more now that I am a mother to a perfect little girl, because I feel like this is the whole reason behind my existence, to bring my children into the world and take care of them, love them, and nurture them, no matter the cost to me.

I guess I didn't have to seriously start thinking about these things the last few months because there was so much time between the birth of my daughter and the removal of the IUD, but that time is slowly passing. The closer I get, the more I really realize just what I am up against. It was easier to say it could happen than to realize it all really could happen.

These are the thoughts that have been constantly going through my head lately. I don't know why, but I feel like it will be time to really think about this once that counter goes below three months. I've tried to bench the thoughts, and have done well up until now. Even now I'm not majorly stressing, but they are definitely making their way to the forefront more as the counter goes down.

There are just so many unknowns and "what ifs". All I know is that this is absolutely, positively what I want.

14 Thoughts:

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

I guess if it's something you really want then you're gonna have to try and adopt a sort of zen about it. What happens happens. There is no real reason you absolutely HAVE to take it out when that hits zero right?

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I can relate, sister - I certainly can. I face many of the same fears for our trip to Thailand and beyond - not carrying the baby full term because of my uterus, having to have a c-section because of the deformity in the uterus makes it harder to push. Getting a blood clot on the trip or in the pregnancy (which is higher risk). I can't really give you any tips to put aside the fear but I will be here, reading along and will support you every step along the way!! All the best!!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Yup. That's the big thing.. the worry about the baby and not yourself so much. I'm such a chicken (and at an age) that I don't think we'll even TRY for a number 2. Honestly, I also don't think I could go through the TTC shit again.

If we decide on a number 2, we're thinking of state adoption like before.

Best of luck!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Chelle. You definitely have a lot to think about. I don't blame you at all for being a bit scared. Life must feel more balanced when you're not trying (I know it does for me) but at the end of the day, you sound very confident of what you want. Just know that when you do start trying again, I and many many others will be with you every step of the way.
:-D

~Ifer said... [Reply to comment]

Just remember, that counter is there to tell you when you CAN start trying again, not when you HAVE to. If the stress and worries are too much, you can take the time you need and try again when you are ready.

I love the fact that you are focused and determined on not letting it take away from the precious moments that you have with your precious daughter.

Stay strong, my friend

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, Chelle, that's tough. I hope you're not over-thinking and over-worrying about it to the point that you drive yourself insane.

I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog yesterday. You may think that you didn't give me any advice, but your comment gave me hope. It makes me feel like my problem is not that abnormal and that it may have nothing to do with my IF, and that maybe I can get pregnant as early as this cycle. I hope someday I can return the favor to you. ((hugs))

Chelle said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you sooo much ladies for all of your heartfelt comments. I sincerely appreciate them. I am very touched.

No, I don't have to get the IUD out in that day, but if I don't, I worry that time could be my enemy for TTC #2. The longer I wait, the harder it will be. I have to jump in both feet first sometime. I just wish the time between now and then would slow down a bit.

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Back again. And yes, it was that effin' Yasmin!!!!! After I went off of it and the spotting began, I researched it and found some horror stories. Of course, I found some positive stories, so back then, I took it all with a grain of salt.

I do blame the Yasmin entirely for my IF. I would like to blog about it one day, but I'm afraid my blog doesn't reach out to that particular audience, so it will fall on deaf ears. I strongly suspect that my hormone levels are severely messed up, but my dr's could give a crap. That's why I've been taking these funky herbs. I'm to the point that I feel as if I have to diagnose and treat myself.

I can't believe I've been off that stupid pill for 2 years, and my hormones are STILL not back to normal. It infuriates me, really.

I was no damn niave when I went on that BCP. But, my gyn encouraged it, and the research wasn't out there at the time. (Other than that, he was a great dr.) He was probably getting some kick-back or something from the drug co. ((angry sigh))

Well, at least I know I'm not going crazy. I finally have one person (you) that has taken this pill and can back me up on its negative side effects. Thank God for you, Chelle. Truly.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Chelle,
I know it's hard to think about it all but I don't think it is a bad thing to acknowledge the what ifs. They are always there, even if it's not baby related. You will find peace, you are an amazingly strong woman and your heart is in the right place and when the time comes for the next step you will have peace.

So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. ~Matthew 6:34

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. ~Philippians 4:6



Marla.z...I share your frustration! I was on Yaz & then switched to Seasonale for 2 years and I have never been the same since. I know it is why I have the issues I do, if only I could get those years back!!!

Alison said... [Reply to comment]

I think the most important part of all this is that you KNOW you want another child and all those "what ifs" will be worth it.

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. So tough. Of course you're worried and have those feelings...I'd be worried if you didn't. :) We'll all be here to support you 100% and be your biggest cheerleaders! We all love ya!!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

As you may know the best things can come to those who wait for it. Unfortunately you had to wait a long time with Baby Bean but I am sure that you know that this was the best time for her to be in your life. Take your time and take it easy on trying for the second one. Please make sure that you are healthy enough.

BB said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you for your comments and support on my blog. Your daughter is adorable! I admire your determination to start TTC again pretty soon... wishing you good luck and hoping that you do not have to face any of the fears you have been worried about! {HUGS}

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

I guess all things baby related are just destined to be difficult for some of us, you know? I can completely understand where you are coming from on all points. It IS scary when you know all the things that can go wrong! Ignorance is bliss, indeed.
I know that your timing will work out as it should, though, and God will have his hand on you protecting you, just like he did before.
*hugs*

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary