Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

And the Fun Continues...

Apparently it just isn't my week. Maybe it won't be my month. But something sure as hell hates me lately.

I came home from work at lunch today like I always do to feed the baby and spend some time with her. I stopped off on my way to get lunch for Hubs and I and then took what turned out to be the long way home. By the time I got home, I had 15 minutes to feed the baby and then head back to work. By then my fries had gotten to the cold, disgusting point, so I tossed them in the garbage, kissed Hubs and the baby, and headed back to work.

I was happily driving along when I came to an intersection. Straight across from me another driver was threatening to turn left. She moved into the intersection a bit and my heart skipped. If she pulled out there was no way I could stop in time.... She pulled out. Time slowed down as I slammed on the breaks, listened to my squealing tires, and waited for the moment of collusion. Not if, but when. *SLAM!*

I pulled through the intersection and immediately called Hubs, shaking, trying not to cry. He didn't answer, so I dialled 911. I got out of my car and went around front to assess the damage. I couldn't believe how minimal it was. My bumper wasn't dented at all, but pretty badly scuffed up. I walked back to the intersection, heart pounding, shaking like a leaf as the 911 operator picked up. When I got to the intersection I could not find the other driver at all.

"911, what's your emergency?"
"I think I've just been in a hit and run accident."

The operator instructed me to pull my car off the road into the parking lot adjacent to it and she would send the police. Just then the other driver came walking over the hill. She was a young, 18-year-old girl. I pulled into the parking lot next to her car and surveyed the damage to her back bumper. It fared as well as my front, just badly scuffed. After I got off the call we both asked each other about 100 times if the other was okay. I couldn't help it, I was so relieved we were both okay that I hugged the girl tightly to me and told her everything was okay and that it would be okay.

The cops showed up and helped us exchange information. They told me that because Texas is a no fault state that if we reported the accident it would go on BOTH of our reports, even though the accident was 100% not my fault. (Let's pretend we're surprised here. Nope, can't do it.) Long story short, we opted not to file the report and I told her I would not file with her insurance so her rates wouldn't go up. She offered to pay 100% of the damages, and I told her that was fine. I will probably call her tomorrow just to make sure she is okay. I felt so bad for her because she is so young.

On top of getting my heart going, I got a nice little sun burn from standing outside in the 100 degree heat while we were exchanging info and talking to the police. By the time I got back to work my lunch was nasty and I smelled of dirty, burning flesh.

To round out the evening Baby Bean was a pill and wanted nothing to do with me tonight. In retrospect that could be because I smelled bad. All I wanted to was play with my bean, make her smile and giggle, and all she wanted to do was be fussy. It broke my heart.

When I put her to bed, Hubs had left the drawer under her crib partially pulled out. When I went to put the side of her crib down I thought it wouldn't go down because there were a couple of shoe boxes there and ended up kicking the drawer with my foot. When Hubs asked what happened and I told him, he opted not to apologize for not pushing the drawer back in, but rather chastise me for kicking anything in the dark.

I am so ready for this week to be over. Hell, this month. I don't know how much more my nerves and heart can take.

6 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. . . You are having quite the week. I'm just glad you and this other woman (okay, more like a girl) are okay. Hope your week starts improving. :-D

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Poor Chelle. What a time you're having!
It sounds like something out of a movie. I really hope things look up soon.

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

Aww... I am SO sorry! It really sucks when we get doled out one of those weeks. The great thing about those weeks, though? They do end and things get better. I hate car accidents so much. I am so glad yours was minimal!
I will cross my fingers that things perk up for you, STAT.
*hugs*

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Okay, this is my second comment to you on one post. Hee hee. :-D I just wanted to say thank you SO much for the very sweet and kind comment you just left on my blog. You had me crying. . . good crying of course. :-D You have been such a sweet, caring, and thoughtful blog friend of mine, and I appreciate the support you constantly give me. Thank you so much.

seussgirl said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time of it! What kind of screwed up law is "no-fault"? That seems crazy. I'm glad everyone was okay, though!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Blast! You are having some bad luck aren't you. Could be worse though. I'm glad that you two girls ended up being ok. That could have been really nasty. It's "funny" how accidents can play out in slow motion.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary