5 years ago today I was a happy-go-lucky, single gal who hung out with my best friend (who happened to be a guy) every single Friday night, stayed in touch via text every single day of the week, and went to church just to meet up with him and make fun of all the other people there (it was a singles church). But this Friday was different. I had no idea what I was in store for when I woke up that morning.
N and I had made plans to go visit the local radio station who hosted a "psychic" every Friday morning. We thought it would be fun to go down with my little brother and have her read our cards. I was up first. I sat down, and as she pulled out my cards she informed me that I would be heading back to school in the fall, that I wouldn't find my spouse for at least another 6 years, and that once I did, we would plant roots and never travel. Yeah, I laughed at her. I told her I was going on a blind date that night and asked if I would end up marrying the guy. She told me no. She was adamant that I would not end up marrying him.
My little brother opted to have his cards read over the air. She told him that he would meet the love of his life in the next few months, that he would be married in just over a year, and that he would travel the world with his spouse. Again, I laughed. N and I decided that because my little brother and I are so close, she got our cards mixed up. My little brother protested very loudly and angrily and told me that she had read his cards right, even though he was the one returning to school in the fall (I had already graduated and had ZERO intention of ever going back to college), and I was the one who was dating every weekend while he didn't have any prospects.
That night my little brother helped me decide what I would wear on my date. I got all dolled up and headed downtown to meet the face of the sexy voice I had been speaking to over the phone. I arrived early and sat patiently waiting in the B&N. Then I saw him walk by outside the window. My first thoughts, "Nice! I hope this one works out!" Needless to say, we hit it off instantly. He first took me to dinner, then we hit an art fair that was in town for the weekend, then we went for the biggest piece of chocolate cake I have ever eaten. We rounded out the evening by making out in the parking lot for so long the lady in the parking lot toll booth left before we did and we ended up getting to park for free.
I knew within hours of meeting him that he was something special and that I was interested in seeing him again. I secretly wondered if I had met the love of my life.
4 Years Ago
4 years ago today it was the anniversary of our first date (obviously). I told Hubs I wanted to do something really special. I had hoped we would go to the second-nicest restaurant in the area, since the last time I had eaten there was for my high school prom my sophomore year. That afternoon, Hubs came and picked me up for our date. I excitedly asked what we were going to do. He told me to dress to go hiking. Needless to say, I was kind of ticked. You don't go to the restaurant I wanted to eat at dressed in anything other than formal attire. We were going hiking instead. But before we headed out, he told me I should bring some makeup and a few things to freshen up with after our hike. I was intrigued and no longer irritated.
We drove up the canyon to our favorite trail and took a nice 2-hour hike that ended in us getting caught in a downpour and getting soaked clear through. We laughed and waited out the storm under the roof of a public loo. When the rain let up, he took me to a hotel room just outside the mouth of the canyon where he had two dresses waiting for me that he had picked out himself, along with a pair of shoes. He told me to pick a dress and get myself gussied up. I knew exactly where we were going next!
We pulled up to the restaurant I had wanted to eat at, and Hubs had the truck valeted. While we were waiting to be seated, I looked on at a wedding reception going on outside and wondered if tonight would be the night. We ate our dinner and then headed out front to take a walk around the property. Hubs took me in his arms and we kissed and hugged for a bit. Up until this point, he had never told me he loved me. Yeah, for a whole year I never once heard those words and it killed me, but he always said he wouldn't say it unless he planed on marrying me. I looked into his eyes told him I loved him. He replied, "Yeah? That's a good thing, because I love you too." I stood there, shocked. I finally heard the three words I had longed to hear for months. Then he pulled out my ring, a fantastic 1+ carat heart-shaped diamond solitaire, and asked me to marry him. It was one of the most fantastic nights of my life.
June 25 will always be a very special day for us. The anniversary of our first date and the day we got engaged.
Card Reader Lady, eat your heart out and get a new deck of cards!
Sidenote: My little brother returned to school in the fall. He has not yet met the love of his life, but he travels the world and lives up the single life. It hasn't been 6 years yet. ;)






8 Thoughts:
what a great story! happy anniversary!
What a great love story. I'm so glad that you two found each other. I know that you love him very much and that he loves you too. Isn't it so fun to see how far you two have come together. You are now a cute little family.
Oh, what a great story. :-D Congrats on your anniversary. :-D
LOL man what a story! :)
congrats & happy anniversary!
You always write the BEST tribute type posts.
Totally amusing that your cards were swapped!
Oh and thanks for dropping by my blog-was nice to get a comment from someone new!
Fun story! My hubby proposed on a hike, but I had NO idea it was coming, because we hadn't even been officially dating; we'd been broken up for a year and a half. :)
Happy Anniversary!
What a sweet story! (Hubby and I had a whirl-wind romance as well.) Happy anniversery!
I am a firm believer in fate... and something was happening in the stars the day you met your husband...
Lovely romantic story Chelle....Some things are just meant to be!
Love to you and your family.
Michele xxx
Post a Comment