Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Deucedly Mad

This past Friday was the last day of school in our area. On my way to work, I drive through 5-6 school zones. Depending on whether or not I am late to work, I hit six. Friday morning, I was running late. My hair wasn't cooperating. My car was completely out of gas and had to be filled up before I could go to work. I had promised my coworkers the day before that I would bring donuts Friday morning. I dashed out the door and sped down the street, slowing down appropriately for each school zone and thinking I was so glad school would be out Monday, cutting a few minutes off my drive to work. As I reached the third school zone, the lights weren't flashing. I figured they were off because it was a high school school zone and maybe they didn't activate it that day because they figured the kids wouldn't be going to school on the last day. I reached the intersection, turned on my left signal, and pulled into the left-hand turn lane. The light changed, and I went through the light, accelerating at my normal speed. Off to the right I noticed a cop car, so I checked my speed. 30. I was fine. It wasn't a school zone, and the speed limit is 40. A few seconds later, I saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror as the cop pulled in behind me. I looked down at my speed. 46 in a 40. Okay, he's got me. I was speeding.

I pulled off the street onto a side road while I sent my husband a text, "Guess who just got pulled over? lol" The cop came up to my window and asked if I knew why I was being pulled over. I politely admitted I had been speeding, hoping that he might take my politeness and either let me off or at least knock down the number he supposedly clocked me at. He informed me he clocked me going 31 in a school zone. EXCUSE ME?!?!?! I was completely shocked. Floored. Pissed off. I told him the lights were NOT flashing, and therefore the school zone was not in effect. I NEVER speed in school zones because the tickets for doing so are massive (at least they were in the state I just moved from). He returned to his car and a few minutes later came back and told me he was issuing me a citation for speeding in a school zone. I was pissed beyond pissed as I fought back my angry tears. On top of which, I might as well have not been polite, as the cop issued me a ticket for the full 31. I wished as I pulled away that I had been down right snotty, belligerent, as my politeness had gotten me no where, unlike the last time I got pulled over for doing 11 over and had the ticket knocked down to 5 over.

Here's my thing: if I had been speeding, absolutely give me a ticket. I earned it. I deserve it. I broke the law. But this time, I was NOT speeding. The school zone was NOT in effect. The lights were NOT flashing. The price of my supposed speeding: $200. Sorry Baby Bean, you getting to be the first baby potty trained at the tender age of 4 months, mommy can't afford your diapers this month. The new shoes I've been needing because my feet have been killing me lately? Not going to happen this month.

Fight the ticket you say? I would, but how the hell do I prove the lights weren't flashing when they otherwise would have been? I can't. Hubs told me to only take it to court if I'm willing to get a lawyer, and then if I lose, I get to pay the court costs, the lawyer fee, the ticket, and I get the hit to my driving record. So what do I get to do? Bend it over and take it up the a** like a big girl. Yeah, two days later and I'm still pissed. I will be for a very long time.

Did I mention my car registration is due along with my inspections? Freaking Texas.

Let us not forget that since moving closer to the equator, the sun has dissolved the clear coat on my car, making it look like it has some serious eczema that not even a powerful prescription could cure. I want to get a new car, but with the oil companies being such greedy b*****s (pick your word choice there), I REFUSE to buy another gas-dependant car. I was thinking about it for a while, like getting a cross over with more space or a bigger car, but then I read a few articles about how gas prices are going to go up, and I decided the gas companies can stick their oil where the sun don't shine. That's it you morons, raise the gas prices in a seriously deflated, depressed economy. THAT will get people to drive more. Especially when it comes down to buying gas for your car or buying food to eat. It won't make people like me hold off their next car purchase until cars that don't rely so heavily on gas come out next year. Me thinks someone has lost their ability to think clearly due to excessive amounts of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere.

There's nothing like a little shake down to ruin your sunny day.

The weekend was not lost, however. Hubs and I tackled a couple small home improvement projects together that will make a nice difference to our house, and I lost another 2 lbs. The latter is very exciting. I can totally see the weight coming off, which makes me very happy. I have plenty of resolution to keep going still too, especially now that I am seeing results.

Well, that's it for me. I'm off to find something tasty to eat.

6 Thoughts:

mckala7 said... [Reply to comment]

Ask for a court date, then ask for a trial. By the time you get around to all that they will probably throw it out. They did with my husband's ticket after he asked for a trial. Yes I said a trial.

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry your day sucked so bad on Friday. Wish we could have gone to Zupas for lunch. I'm glad that you and hubs were ablet o giet some small projects out of the way. I am so excited that you have been able to lose some weight! That is such exciting news. Keep up the good work. Hopefully this week will be better.

Infertility is Hard said... [Reply to comment]

So sorry about the ticket. I had this happen to me recently (different scenario of course, but one in which I wasn't guilty) and I was furious!!! I ended up contesting the ticket, and the courthouse messed something up so I had to come BACK to contest it, and the cop didn't show up and I ended up getting off. It's so time consuming to fight tickets, but I feel bad for you because you are obviously a good driver who pays attention. Ergh. Good luck! And congrats on the weight loss. YAY! I'm working on that too. It's tough!

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

Hahaha... I got nailed going 79 in a 60 on Loop 12 a few weeks ago... my ticket was $250. I wanted to hurt myself. I hate those days!!!
Glad you guys had a great weekend!!! You go with your weight loss!

Jen D. said... [Reply to comment]

Welcome to Texas, my friend.

PJ said... [Reply to comment]

Cop probably had a quota to fill. Ugh!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary