I think we have decided I am going to go on the birth control pill for the next year. We talked about it yesterday and decided that was the best route because of the endo. But if I turn into a hormonal wench, I'll go off ASAP and we'll go the IUD route. I wish we hadn't discussed it in a public place at lunch though, because it made me cry. I really don't want to do any form of birth control for so many reasons. I understand I have to, but that doesn't make it any easier. I just don't understand why my fertility has to be a constant struggle. I'm sure you can totally relate. I just want things to be easy like they are for the 17-year-old in the back of a car. lol I have also found that I have already started to think about charting my next cycle. I guess the infertile in me is so ingrained I don't remember what life is like when I wasn't charting and not pregnant. I see the box of feminine hygiene products and I want to cry at the thought of using them without counting cycle days. My instinct is to get upset that I have to do this, but perhaps I will draw from your strength and just plug through the next year. But maybe I am getting ahead of myself. What if I go to the doctor on Thursday and she says we aren't allowed to have any more? I just can't even go there. I feel like we will have at least one more, if not two. I just pray my instincts are right.
The thing that gets me is when I was pregnant with Baby Bean I would always have this sense of calm about the pregnancy. I did from the moment I found out I was pregnant. I always felt like the pregnancy would be good, she would make it here, and she would live a full, wonderful life. I would think, "I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about the next one." Its the "I'm worried about the next one" that gets me. I didn't know then that I would have the scar tissue complication. That kind of worries me. I never got past thinking "the next one", or even what about it worried me. Will the next one make it here okay? Does that just mean that if I get pregnant it will be a difficult pregnancy, or does it mean that the pregnancy won't be good?
I find that even now, I'm waiting for the post partum bleeding to end and my next menstrual cycle to begin so that I can begin charting and determining if I still ovulate on day 19. When I realize I am going to be on birth control and I won't ovulate and my days will be counted for me by the pack of pills on the counter, it breaks my heart. I have to remind myself I have no use for OPKs right now. I realize it is only for a year, or so I hope and will find out for sure tomorrow, but I still do not want to do it. It brings up so many painful emotions and feelings from 15 months ago when I was sitting in a waiting room full of pregnant women while I was there to determine why I couldn't get pregnant. Those feelings are still there and they are still very real and painful. Do those feelings ever go away?
I guess I need to retrain my brain. Remind it how fun it is to practice making babies without the stress of actually trying. Remember how it feels to be free from the chains of infertility. To just enjoy life and each day I am given. To focus 100% of my emotion on my new, precious baby girl with the realization that she may be an only child and that I need to be okay with that, just like I needed to be okay with the fact that I might never have children before she was conceived.
Don't get me wrong, I realize I am so extremely blessed that my infertile journey ended with a perfect baby girl. I know that the journey made me a very grateful pregnant woman who enjoyed every second of pregnancy and viewed it as a blessing and that it has and will make me a better mother. But the infertile is still inside me and she still aches.
I am so hopeful tomorrow's appointment will go well, but I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic, just in case I don't hear what I want to hear.
I guess the infertile in us never goes away.






5 Thoughts:
I know every story is different. I just hope the following story makes you feel a little better. My sitter and her husband have tried for 11 years to get pregnant. They were eventually told that they wouldn't have kids so about 5 years ago they adobted a little boy. A few months ago she was feeling really sick and couldn't figure out why, so she went to the doctor and found out that she is pregnant. They had given up on trying or even thinking that they would ever have a kid together other than the one they adobted.
I also know that no matter what I say it could be taken meanly. So I guess I'll just say this and hope for the best, I just want you to know that I do truely feel sad for you and I hope that brighter days will come your way. I think about you all the time an worry about you as well. I want you to be happy.
Oh hon, I hurt for you. I want to give you hope, but I don't want to give you unwanted or stupid/cliche advice. I hope and pray that the doctor will say you'll be all clear after a year, and that you can spend that year enjoying the beautiful daughter you have and anticipate "trying" for the "next one." I pray that the year won't move so quickly that you'll miss Bean's milestones, but that you'll be so immersed in her that you'll find the year has passed and you didn't find yourself stuck in "I want to try" mode at all.
I wish you the best at your appointment!
I really do understand sweetie. I think we all know we'll be there when and if we get that first one. Hub and I are very inclined to try for one and then if we get that one, never try again - go for adoption so we don't have to go through this Hell anymore.
As for the "knowing," I've felt a terrible fear of not being able to have children since I was very young.. before my period. And then when my periods never normalized, the fear got worse. It makes one think...
I know exactly how you feel. It was so strange to NOT be trying to have a baby that I could't stop keeping track of cycle days! I just couldn't NOT do it. I've been doing it for over FOUR YEARS. (On a side note, I guess it's good that I did...or I might have missed the fact that "Surprise" was on it's way).
Hang in there sweetie. I have a feeling this year will go by really fast for you and that you will be off those yucky old pills and TTC again before you know it.
((hugs))
Oh sweetie, firstly, sorry I haven't replied to you yet seems that will be our normal correspondance anyway :)
I'm looking forward to hearing how your appointment went, and have been thinking of and praying for you all.
I went to a wedding yesterday and was looking for a message to place in the card. I found the following quote, and although it was written for marriage, I find comfort in it, and hope you do too:
We do not wish you joy without sorrow
Nor endless day without the healing dark,
Nor brilliant sun without the restful shadow,
Nor tides that never turn against your bark.
We wish you love, and strength, and faith, and wisdom,
Goods, gold enough to help some needy one,
We wish you songs, but also blessed silence,
And God's sweet peace when every day is done.
-- Dorothy Nell McDonald
This is a season of your life, I know it's hard not to think forward to the next season, but I pray you'll feel peace and comfort in this one. If you can, and want to, maybe read Ecclesiastes 3:1-11, I've found it really helpful and encouraging. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ecclesiastes%203:1-11;&version=31;
Much love my friend
((HUGS))
Post a Comment