I asked my doctor if she had had a chance to talk to the high risk doctor yet, and she hadn't, but promised to talk to him that day and give me a call later that evening. For the 6 1/2 weeks leading up to that appointment all I wanted to know was if we would be able to have more children, so it was a major letdown to get there and still not have an answer. I asked her if she thought we would, knowing our history and about the new complication. Her answer was a grave, "I think it will be really risky." So not what I wanted to hear.
She proceeded to tell me that we wouldn't have problems getting pregnant, but that the pregnancy itself could present major complications to both the baby and me. The scar tissue from the septum removal, now a uterine rupture because of Baby Bean's placenta implanting in it and making its way through the uterine lining, is at the top of my uterus, which is where placentas usually implant. If baby #2 also implants there, we are looking at some potentially serious complications and they are riskier the second time around than they were the first time.
Long story short, I will never have a full term pregnancy again. I will not be allowed to experience labor contractions the second time around because they could cause the placenta to push through the uterine lining, thinning it out, and potentially leading to bleeding by either the baby, me, or both of us in which case, the baby will be taken ASAP. The list of complications went on, but I won't get into all of them. The only complication I am honestly worried about is premature birth, which comes with a whole slew of problems for the baby.
Of course I ended up in tears the whole time we were talking about the riskiness of another pregnancy. I really just want one more for Baby Bean's sake. My baby has no cousins close to us. We don't have any friends with children who will be her age. I grew up with siblings and I love them all very dearly. I want Baby Bean to have siblings and cousins like I did. Knowing she cannot have the latter, I want to at least provide her with a brother or sister. She needs to have a sibling. The thought that I might not be able to do that for her tears me apart.
We left the doctor's office with my eyes all red and puffy, praying to God that I would be cleared for a future pregnancy.
Later that night, I got the call I had been waiting for on pins and needles all day. We have been cleared to try again! The only caveat is that we have to wait for at least a year to allow my body time to heal from the rupture. My doctor is hopeful that the lining will grow back thicker than it was during my last pregnancy because of the repair.
My next pregnancy will absolutely be high risk and will be monitored very closely. We will have to have an MRI around week 24 to determine the placement of the placenta, at which point a plan will be formed, if necessary. I have been made aware of the potential complications and all of the end results. We just have to pray that things go smoothly.
After hearing that we were cleared to try again in a year, being on birth control didn't seem so bad. Why was I so upset about being on the pill when I was facing the possibility of not being able to try again? It seems so menial now. I'm just over the moon that we will get to try for more.






10 Thoughts:
I'm so happy to hear that you'll be able to try for another baby in a year. Baby bean may someday be a big sister!
A high risk pregnancy will be rough, but at least you're given the chance to try again. Wonderful!
Wow, Praise God, I was so hoping for that news. Glad you've got some peace about that now. LOL about the seasons, it's so hard not to try and take a peek into them isn't it?? At least you'll be able to focus on BB now knowing that in less than 11months you can try again :)
So happy for you guys.
((HUGS))
Congrats on the news, I was reading your post holding my breath but noticed the bolder green text so thought, there as to be something good below. Can wait to hear that your knocked up again :)
Yey! I'm so glad he gave you clearance! And I would have been so annoyed that the first doctor hadn't followed up like they were supposed to in time for your appointment.
So now you have a full year to enjoy Bean. :)
Yay! I was on the edge of my seat there for a minute. That's good news.
That is the best news ever! I'm so happy for you. This will give you a chance to spend more time with baby bean before you go for number two.
This is awesome news!!!! High risk preg IS scary, but I have known SO MANY women who had them and the babies all came out just fine! A year will totally fly by before you know it and one year of birth control is SO no big deal in the long run, you are right. I hope you find peace in this answer and know that God will always prevail in his plans for your family, no matter what any dr says. ;)
*hugs*
I'm so happy you'll be able to try again! That is great news. :-D It sucks that you'll be high risk, but I guess that just means you'll get wonderful support and assistance from the medical staff while you're pregnant again.
Congrats again. :-D
yeaaaa!
Yaaaaaay!!!! That is FANTASTIC news hun! I'm so, so happy for you!
Post a Comment