Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Anniversary

One year ago today I started my new job in Texas. Friday the 13th marked the one year anniversary of when we rolled into Texas to begin our new lives.

The past year has been absolutely remarkable for us. I had no idea so many wonderful things were going to happen, but I knew that after the hell of a year we had before it, something good had to be coming our way.

It seems like it was just yesterday we drove away from our town home and drove 1300 miles in over 24 hours to Texas. The movers had been there the morning of the 12th to pack up everything we could not fit in my tiny car and hit the road a couple of hours ahead of us. That evening after we had made sure we had everything and given away all of our food to the neighbors, we loaded Mags in the car, and my dad and I had a tearful goodbye. By 6:00 that night, we were on our way. I remember crying as I watched the mountains I had grown up in for the first almost 30 years of my life fade off into the distance. Feeling nostalgic and sad to be leaving my family and my home, yet being excited for the new life we were embarking on. As a parting gift from my home state, I came down with the first cold I had had in over a year and a half.

That night at around 1:00 a.m. I convinced hubs to pull off the road and stay in a hotel, rather than driving straight to Texas. Mags didn't know what to do, since it was her first night in a hotel. All she wanted to do was sniff around, rather than sleep. The next morning we were back in the car by 7:00 a.m. The next 14 hours were painfully dull and long. We literally drove 100 mph the last 5-6 hours of the drive because we were so sick of being in the car.

Around 9:00 p.m. our GPS was giving us the final directions to our corporate housing. I was filled with so much anticipation. Everything was new and exciting! We were pleasantly surprised at the corporate housing digs. The two bedroom apartment was wonderfully laid out and came with everything we needed live there for the next 30 days, minus food and personal items. I just couldn't believe all of it was actually happening. I felt so incredibly blessed and lucky to be living my life.

That weekend we looked at about 40 houses, trying to find our current home. Then came Sunday night. I didn't know if I would be able to sleep because I was so excited. I also lamented the fact that I was starting my new job sporting a fantastic cold.

Monday morning came before I knew it, and I was all dolled up for my new job. I excitedly greeted the receptionist as I waited for my new PM to come get me and show my the ropes. When G showed up and heard my voice, he asked if I wanted to go home because I sounded so terrible. I told him absolutely not and promised him that no one else would get sick from me, and no one did. That first day was fantastic. It was the first time I started a new job where I didn't feel bored and sleepy. Everything interested me, and all of the people were so friendly. I knew I was going to love it there.

Here I am, a year later in a great house with my wonderful husband, our beautiful daughter, and two almost perfect pooches. This move was the best thing that has happened to us since we got married. It was the culmination of a perfect life.

Happy anniversary to me!

5 Thoughts:

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

Yay for you! That sounds like a WONDERFUL year!

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Happy anniversary indeed! You have had quite the year. I hope this one is even better!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so glad that your life took a turn for the better. I watched your situation go from stinky to great. I'm so happy for you. Even though I miss you tons I know you made the right choice. This is by far the happiest I've seen you.

Vanessa said... [Reply to comment]

I remember reading this the first time you wrote it and thinking how sad I was for you, but Im sure everyone can agree that it worked out for the best.
Check out my new blog, I took some time off but Im back to blogging about our journey to parenthood.

Vanessa
http://vanessasjourneytomotherhood.wordpress.com/

La La said... [Reply to comment]

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I'm so glad that things have gone so beautifully for you sweetie!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary