It has been amazing how much attention a newborn baby needs. I just had no idea what to plan for when I was pregnant. Doing laundry once a week and in a day? Forget it! I'm lucky to be able to change the load from the washer to the dryer in one day. Cleaning the kitchen daily? Forget it! Its lucky to get cleaned every few days. Nightly showers? Nope! I'm lucky to shower every other day right now. Yes, I make my choices. I COULD choose to do those things while my baby sleeps, but I just want to hold her all of the time. That and I can't really put her down when she fusses. I just want her to be a happy baby. I would worry about spoiling her, but everything I've read says you can't spoil them in the first couple months of life because they don't know any better yet. Hubs said he thinks maybe letting her sleep on him at night is spoiling her too because she certainly doesn't fuss when she sleeps on him, but she does as soon as she is in her crib. All I have to say about that is if it means we get sleep, then put her on your chest. We realize that for the past 9 months she was used to sleeping inside me where she was warm and comforted by the sound of my beating heart, and sleeping on a chest emulates that as much as possible, providing comfort and reassurance.
Back on the subject of laundry, I've been doing double duty. In addition to not being able to wait a week to get it done and doing it in a day, the loads add up faster because Baby Bean spits up after every meal. Burp cloths and receiving blankets are at a commodity, and the pile of dirty baby clothes piles up faster than I can keep up with. Do I mind though? Not one bit. Not now that I realize this is my life. If it means I have this sweet little baby girl, I will take all of her spit-ups and dirty laundry gladly. I am so in love with my baby. It is all completely worth it. Everything we went through to get her and everything we are now experiencing. I also realize that as she gets older, the old schedules will be able to return to normal a bit with just a few modifications.
One funny, yet sad thing is that with the new baby and everything that comes with it, I actually forgot to feed my dogs one night! My poor little pooches who used to be the center of my universe (next to Hubs, of course) are now relegated to a few pats on the head here and there. Nightly chewies have been temporarily forgotten. Doting has slowed considerably. But do they mind? Not so much. They both realize that the baby has changed things and have become less demanding of our attention. Instead they now play more with each other. I am so happy they both adjusted so well to the baby.
Time to go wake a sleepy baby for some lunch. :)






4 Thoughts:
It's amazing how something so small can go through so much laundry! I went out and bought some bibs with the plastic lining on the back for after feedings and that helped to keep the baby dry and not going through so many clothes. Good luck! :)
So nice to read such a joyous post. I'm so happy for you and your husband. The schedule won't last forever, but for now, give him a hug for me and tell him he's a better man than most for his help, especially at night.
Newborns do make for some work, but that too shall pass. You have so much fun coming your way as she grows. Enjoy every moment!
Oh Chelle, how special are you, you are just so thoughtful, I want to thank you SO much for your words and prayers, I'm so thankful for you. I am just so happy to hear you talk about baby bean, isn't it just the most amazing gift from God!! The picture in your last post says it all, you are beaming and she is just precious precious precious. Little M is 3 1/2 now and I still without fail go in every single night and climb right into bed with her and cuddle her. I was so happy when she went to a bed because I could get in and cuddle, when she was in the cot DH used to catch me everynight picking her up for snuggles, so I agree with you, spoil spoil spoil, they can NEVER be too loved. We did buy little M one of those womb bears for her cot which helped her when she was a baby, I'd LOVE to send you one, email me if you'll let me :)
Thanks again for your words ((HUGS))
The good news is that the every 2 hour or whate3ver feeding is shortlived... you just really have to survive a month of total sleep depivation! And you are close. You didn't tell us how the trip to the LC went?
Post a Comment