So, I have a confession. The other day while I was feeding the baby I was sitting in front of the TV when I noticed that Brin.ging Ho.me Ba.by was on. I am a person who loves to relate. Being able to relate makes me feel normal, and while I was deep in post partum blues, I needed someone to relate to just so that I knew I wasn't mental. Especially after my doctor told me at my appt last week that she was concerned I was a bit too deep in the blues. So I started watching BHB and relating to the women on the show. Some of them seemed to be struggling every bit as much as me, and some seemed even worse off than me. It all made me feel better. Plus I loved seeing their newborns and watching them deal with the first 36 hours at home. So what did I do? I set the DVR to record it every day so that I could sit and watch it while I feel the Baby Bean every day. I can't help myself. I love the fact that I can now relate to these women. I also started watching A Ba.by St.ory for the same reason and actually watched a c-section! The latter made me cry with emotion as I envisioned me being that woman and my baby coming out on her birth day. I could relate, and I loved it!
I do want to mention at this point that the baby blues seem to have passed. Thank heaven! I was so afraid I was going to end up on medication or in a psychiatrist office (per my doctor). I really, really didn't want that, so I battled the blues with everything I had. Hubs had a hard time watching me go through it, which is why he has been ensuring I get some good sleep every night. It is his attempt at helping me combat them. I am so happy to say they have passed. I guess I didn't realize how bad it was until yesterday when I was happily laughing that Baby Bean had smiled her first big smile at me and Hubs mentioned it had been a long time since he had heard me laugh and seen me smile like that.
I feel like I am totally stepping into this mommy role. I seriously love my child. I just can't get enough of her. The past few days have been full of smiles and laughter on my part as I completely dote on her. I am finally getting past being sad about not being pregnant with her because now I get to hold her and interact with her on a whole new level. I absolutely love it. I can't wait until she starts knowingly smiling at us.
I am thanking God every day for this wonderful opportunity and experience of being a mother. I look at her and think, "I made her. I grew her in my tummy." It is just plain incredible.






7 Thoughts:
I had the blues too and actually called the psychiatric department at the hospital, but I never ended up going. Still, I understand how it feels to not be in control of your emotions and thoughts. It's scary. I'm glad the blues have passed for both of us and that you are enjoying motherhood so deeply.
(PS I watched both of those shows all through my pregnancies and PP, it was nice to relate)
Good for you! I'm glad things are finally starting to come together. You deserve it and I'm sure you're a wonderful mommy!
YAY! Bye bye baby blues. I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I was worried about you there. It's amazing how much joy a baby can bring to your life. It's fun to look forward to the next time they do something so adorable and cute.
Aww... I am so glad to read this. Sounds like things are starting to settle down some for you and thank God! You deserve it!
I worry about depression a lot, I am already feeling so hormonally charged and pushed to tears on a dime, I cannot imagine what it's going to be like with post partum hormones on top of it!
*hugs*
Baby Bean is a miracle.. all babies are and there is so so much to look forward to with each passing day .. getting to know your child.
Enjoy being a Mummy.... it is the best role in the world.
Michele xx
Glad you're feeling better and that you are managing to get some good sleep!
I'm so glad you're feeling better sweetie. I know sleep deprivation always makes my depression periods worse than they would be otherwise, so Hubby is a gem!
xo
Post a Comment