Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just a Quickie

This post is going to be short because I have to head to an appointment in a few minutes. I just can't believe how fast the past 15 days have gone, yet it doesn't seem like they have gone fast at all. What really seems to have streaked by like a flash of light is the past 11 months. It seems like just yesterday we pulled into Texas after two days on the road and unloaded the car into our corporate housing. But now here we are, almost a full year later, situated in a house with two dogs and a baby. It is just CRAZY!

Baby Bean is doing AWESOME. Her daddy and I are so in love with her. She is just the most beautiful, perfect little girl ever. When I was pregnant with her we used a system called Baby. Plus, which is a fetal development learning system. I'll blog more about it later. I am SOOOO glad we spent the money on it because I am positive it is a major contributing factor to the perfectness of my baby. She rarely fusses, and self soothes easily. The point behind the system was that it helped develop the baby's brain while she was in the womb while it was making all of its connections. Babies who were exposed to the system in the womb were found to be less fussy, self soothe easier, hit developmental stages faster, have higher IQs etc. I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan so far! My baby is perfect! Now if I just knew what to do with her during her wakeful periods. lol

The past two weeks have been beautiful and rough all at the same time. I think the hardest part for me has been the sleep deprivation. I don't do well on small amounts of sleep, and I've been lucky to get 6 hours a day, including naps. This makes me super duper emotional and stresses me out big time. Last night, however, Hubs fed the baby at 10:00 so I could turn in early, and then he fed her again at 1:30 so I could continue sleeping. WHAT A BLESSING!!! That is the longest stretch of sleep I've had since Baby Bean was born. Granted I woke up regretting things at 4:00 a.m. when I hadn't nursed or pumped in over 6 hours. lol

I'm just not sure this whole nursing thing is going to work out for us. I have given it a good 2 weeks, as promised, and holy crap am I hurting! I'm not sure if Baby Bean isn't latching on correctly, nursing correctly, or what our deal is, but I am in constant pain. I'm headed to the lactation consultant in a few minutes to see if we can resolve our issues. But honestly, I am SO turned off to nursing at this point I am praying she is going to tell me it just isn't going to work out. On the other hand, our pediatrician's nurse basically braced me for the price of formula when I called today to ask for a recommendation. Now I'm scared. I just wish I wasn't so sleep deprived so that I could make a rational decision about the whole thing. I waffle from one minute to the next about sticking it out, about supplementing, and about quitting all together. Argh! I need sleep!

I guess that is all I have time for now. This tired mom is signing off.

3 Thoughts:

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

I remember well the indecisive-ness in those first few weeks. No one seemed to get how HARD it was to make a decision.
I hope the LC was able to help. Formula is expensive and time-consuming, but if your sanity is at stake, do what you need to to be happy.
Give that girl of yours a kiss for me. I'm so glad for you. b

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Well I had the same problem with J. Feel free to call me, seriously. I'll tell you how I feel about both and maybe it can help. I hope you can get things figured out.

Cece said... [Reply to comment]

I'm interested to see what the lactation consultant tells you... I'm guessing they'll have you try a nipple shield, and maybe the Bean isn't getting enough of your nipple in her mouth when nursing? That can cause pain for sure.

But. As a gal who 'only' nursed for 2 weeks... I spent a HUGE amount of money trying to freaking breastfeed. I spend $175 seeing the LC, $30 renting the pump to get my supply up, bunch of $$$ on supplaments for my supply and vitamins. So - when I switched to formula, I did the math on the cost (I use enfamil and get the big can at Costco) and it's 11 cents an ounce... so maybe $4 a day to feed the baby? And when you nurse, you are super hungry... so you'd be spending $$ on food for you.

I think it all evens out. Good luck, and kudos to Dad for giving you all that sleep!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary