Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, July 18, 2008

What a Day...

I don't think I would ever chalk today up as being one of my most favorite ever. I am actually just hoping to finish out the rest of the day incidence free at this point. All I can say is that I miss my old OB, vet, and mechanic more than ever.

This morning just before I headed out the door to go to work, I made a loo run. To my horror, I noticed I was spotting. My heart started pounding and my head started swimming. It was all brown spotting, which did mean it was old, but this didn't bring me much comfort as my monthly cycles usually start with the brown stuff too. I tried to pull myself together, but walked over to Hubs nearly sobbing and told him I was spotting and what should I do. I didn't know if I should call in sick to work or go, or if I should call my doctor or just wait and see what happened. Hubs tried to soothe me as best he could while he was half asleep, so I got up and called my sister to see what she said. Of course I was barely coherent when I called her because I was freaking out a little at this time. She, too, told me to calm down and that everything was fine. She said the fact that it was brown blood was a really good sign, as was the fact that I wasn't currently cramping, even though I had been the night before. I told her I had had an exam on Monday, but it didn't make any sense that the spotting from the exam would wait four days to show up. She said she was sure that was what it was, but told me to call my doctor anyway.

I know this sounds really stupid, but I didn't want to call my doctor. I was afraid they would make me leave a message with the nurse's voice mail and they wouldn't call me back, because that has already happened once before. So I opted to curl up on the couch with Mags and go to sleep, but not before tearfully calling my supervisor at work and informing him I would be late. While I was asleep my supervisor sent me a text message and told me to just stay home today and take care of myself. Can I just say I work for one of the best guys ever? I am sure he is so sensitive to my pregnancy because his own wife delivered their little girl at 27 weeks just over a year ago. (Yes, their baby survived, and she is one of the most gorgeous baby girls I have ever seen.)

When I woke up from my nap I went and found Hubs. When he asked if I had called the doctor and I told him no, I know he wanted to smack some sense into me. Instead he gave me a frustrated sigh and asked why not. He thought my reason was lame and proceeded to lecture me, so I called the doctor just to make him stop. To my shock and amazement, they handed the phone directly to a nurse who asked my information and said someone would call me back in a few minutes once they had spoken with a doctor. My doctor was not available for whatever reason today, so we got a call from another doctor's nurse saying they wanted me to come in for a sonogram just to make sure everything was okay. By this time the spotting had all but stopped, and I wasn't panicking anymore, but I wouldn't refuse a chance to see Baby Bean.

The ultrasound showed Baby Bean quietly sitting upside down inside with her little heart beating away. Everything is just fine, and the spotting has been attributed to my exam on Monday. Although the doctor I saw today thought it was odd that it took so long to happen too. By this time it was 3:00 and there was no point going to work, so I went home and slept for a couple of hours.

Then tonight I went outside to play ball with Mags (it is her FAVORITE thing ever in this whole entire world - she would play fetch professionally if she could). We play fetch using a ball thrower we bought at the pet store (if you're interested in seeing what it looks like, see this link). As I was swinging the chucker back to throw the ball Sadie got right in front of it and it smacked her square in the mouth. I heard a noise like a tooth breaking, so I held her down and to my horror, saw that one of her canines had been broken in half and the root in the inside of the tooth was exposed and bleeding. I tried to call my old vet who is an hour behind me to see if I needed to take Sades to a vet, but was told to call back in an hour. I am just praying he says she won't need to go to the vet because it is a baby tooth, but where it is broken in half I can see him saying it will need to be excised to prevent infection. In which case, my credit card is going to get a nice little workout from the vet yet again.

Needless to say, today has not been a banner day, and I am anxiously waiting for the sun to go down and my clock to prompt me it is time to go to bed. I feel like such a bad dog mom, and I really, really miss my old doctor and my old vet.

7 Thoughts:

Smoochie said... [Reply to comment]

I'm super glad everything's ok!

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Aw crap. I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough day. Super happy to hear that Bean is fine, but the poor puppy!
Hope tomorrow is waaay better.

Steph said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry to hear you had a bad day too. I am glad you are feeling better and that you went to the doc also. Sending happy thoughts your way!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

blah. Sorry for the bad day.:(

Just Me. said... [Reply to comment]

argh! sorry for horrible day, sweetie! (((((hugs)))))

La La said... [Reply to comment]

Oh hun, don't you just LOVE days like that? Why does crappy stuff always happen all at once? Big ((hugs)) to you.

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry about your scare. I am glad to hear that you are okay. Let me know if I can do anything to cheer you up.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary