Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dilema of the Week

It seems that my dogs have decided to conspire against me and my plan to be rid of my debt before the baby comes. Every time I feel like I am making the tiniest bit of a dent, one or the other or both of my dogs needs a trip to the vet for whatever reason.

Friday afternoon I came home to go to lunch with my sweetie. As we were on our way out, Mags popped a squat in our dining room (aka "The Dojo" and "Catch All Room") and let a mass of liquid out of her bum. No warning, no odd behavior, and no going to the back door that was a mere 50 feet away to indicate she needed to be let out. Yep, I was angry all right. Sure it was an accident, but she is house trained and gave us ZERO indication that she need to go out, just popped a squat between us and let loose. This was the first time in my pregnancy that I threw up and the first time EVER that I have thrown up cleaning up after a sick animal.

Last night I didn't sleep well because Maggie was restless, and since she gave no warning sign on Friday, I was constantly afraid of being awoken by a foul smell and the sight of more brown goo on my white berber carpet. So when I heard her intestines gurgling around 5:30 this morning, I promptly put her outside.

This evening I headed upstairs to look for a document for work, and Mags preceeded me up the stairs. As soon as she reached the landing, she popped a squat and... you guessed it! Brown goo out the bum all over my white berber carpet. I absolutely lost my temper this time (btw, that means I yell at the top of my lungs, I do NOT hit my animals). Twice in three days with NO WARNING. It took me forever, three batches of carpet cleaner in the steam cleaner, and a quarter bottle of pet carpet cleaner to finally lift the stain.

As much as I don't want to take her to the vet because I know it will cost me AT LEAST $100, I am afraid that is where she is going to go have to go. I have no clue why she is sick. We haven't fed her anything outside of her dog food. Our only guess is she has been eating something outside, but what?! And how can we stop her from eating anything while she is out there? Sadie seems to be fine. Neither of them acts strange and are just as up for fun and games as they always are.

So now I am faced with multiple dilemmas:
  1. My sweetie is sick to death of the dogs pooping and peeing in the house, and I am not far behind him.
  2. I don't relish the idea of them doing their deeds in the house after the baby is born.
  3. I don't relish the idea of their hair all over the house when the baby is born.
  4. My sweetie is sick of the guest bathroom smelling like wet dogs because that is where I bathe them.

That all makes a strong case for making them outside dogs. However:

  1. Maggie is my baby and my "Snuggle Bug." I love snuggling with her, and she noticeably lowers my blood pressure on bad days.
  2. Maggie has always been an inside dog. While it wouldn't be a big deal to Sadie to become an outside dog, it would be to Maggie.
  3. Growing up my dogs were always outside, and I hated it. They are a part of the family to me and should be with the family. I want my dogs to be inside at least part of the time (and especially at night) to interact with and be part of "the pack."

It would absolutely break my heart to make my babies outside dogs, but the more bad things that happen with them inside, the more I am going to be pushed and inclined to make it so. It is something I am seriously having to consider now, and it makes me want to cry.

Tonight will be Maggie's first full night outside. I don't dare let her in the house because I know whatever ails her has not yet passed. It is going to be a rough night for me, but I don't know what else to do. I guess I get to make a trip to the vet tomorrow. I should just hand them my credit card and tell them to keep it.

Update: After sobbing for a good half hour before going to bed because I had to leave Mags outside overnight, I decided I could not make my babies outside dogs. Last night WAS rough, but after an hour of going back and forth between the bedroom and the back door, I decided it was best to leave her outside so she could do her biz if she needed to, and that the decision was best for both of us for the time being.

I called the vet first thing this morning, and they told me just to put her on a bland diet, as she is acting completely normal outside of her digestive problems. I have administered a couple doses of pep.to, and gave her a hearty feeding of rice. Her dinner tonight will consist of pumpkin soup (per the vet) and boiled chicken. She will also sleep inside tonight in her crate, as I can't bear the thought of her spending another night outside.

6 Thoughts:

kam said... [Reply to comment]

Ewww..... I feel bad you had to clean that up. :P Three times!!!

I really hope Maggie gets feeling better.

Sweet Georgia said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, so sorry that the pup's not feeling well. And, that you are at this crossroads. I have two dogs and my heart would break if I had to make them stay outside all of the time.

When the baby comes you'll be cleaning up your fair share of poop and vomit. Most likely off of your clothes, couch, bedsheets. So, maybe you're just getting a head start with the dogs.

Boo said... [Reply to comment]

I know how much you love your doggies and can understand completely what you're going through. I have 2 cats one of whom is a Maine Coon and sheds enough to make another litter! But, I'm guessing once the baby gets here, you'll be so busy cleaning up that you won't even notice the hair. I really really hope that Mags is feeling better.

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Poor Maggie. :( She may also have some sort of bug like giardia or coccidia that she got from a water puddle or anything like that. She wouldn't have a chance to hold it in if it were something like that.

I hope you get her checked out and the doc fixes her up. :( It's hard to have diarrhea in the summer heat. Keep a close eye on her!

Hugs to all of you.

Boo said... [Reply to comment]

I'm glad the vet didn't seem concerned. And you sound just like me....a HUGE softie when it comes to our furbabies! LOL

infantadoptionjourney said... [Reply to comment]

I can't believe that someone has left a comment that upset you Michelle, I don't know you but have been reading your blog for a little while as you know (I just changed pages recently) and I know that you would not harm a hair on your puppies heads. I hope she gets over this really quickly, as you know the littlest things can upset them like a change to their food. :)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary