Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Clarification

I realize after my last post (or maybe even couple) that I need to make a bit of a clarification.

First of all, I do NOT ever physically abuse my pets. I don't believe in hitting animals for any reason. They don't understand why you are hitting them, and it only makes them scared of you.

When I say I am angry about something (like Mags pooping on the floor) it means I audibly voice my displeasure in her current choice of activity and in a very negative tone of voice. She gets the hint.

When I say I "lost it" that means I screamed at the top of my lungs and swore like a sailor. I am not a physically abusive person and I don't throw things.

At no point during Maggie's displeasing bowel releases was she harmed by my hand. My husband does not hit my animals either.

I understand my dog is sick, but that does not mean that I have to smile and praise her when she poops on my floors. My first instinct is to clean up the mess ASAP to keep it from setting in and then ask myself why she is sick. I do everything in my power to keep my pets healthy (as evidenced by my last $200 vet bill for vaccinations). I've said it before, and I will say it again, my dogs are like my babies. I treat them as well as I can. I am a completely responsbile dog owner (yes, that means I carry poop bags on dog walks and clean up after my pup). I do the best I can by them, and that is all anyone can ask.

I did not put white berber carpet in my house. I purchased the house just over three months ago and it came with brand new, white berber carpet. If I had my choice, I sure as hell would not have picked berber. But as it is new, it would be completely wasteful of us to change it out, and we have a million other places our money needs to go (like trying to make our house energy efficient so we can avoid any more $450 electric bills).

Maggie is in good health right now and acts completely normal and happy even though she has diarrhea. I called the vet first thing this morning before I did anything else, and they were not concerned. They did tell me to put her on a bland diet, and I will have you know her bland diet is almost as yummy as mine. Her menu tonight will consist of pumpkin soup (per the vet) and boiled chicken. She had a generous helping of rice this afternoon.

I also sobbed for half an hour last night before I went to bed because it absolutely broke my heart to leave my baby outside. I literally walked between the bedroom and the back door for an hour, debating over whether or not to bring Mags in for the night. In the end I determined it would be better for both of us if she just stayed outside where she could do her thing the minute she needed to without the possibility of being scolded and without the possibility of me needing to be awake for an hour and a half during the night cleaning carpet when I need to be resting (now more than ever).

I firmly decided before going to bed that I cannot make my dogs outside dogs, and told my sweetie so before turning in. When he saw how hard it was for me to leave them out overnight, he didn't put up even a hint of a fight.

The last couple of weeks have been really hard and stressful for me even without my dog being sick. Work has been hell. My hormones bring out Psycho Bitch with little to no warning. Our bills are ridiculous and depressing, and they never seem to stop adding up and conspiring against me.

The bottom line: I am doing the best that I can. I am trying so hard to deal with everything that is going on right now, and it is just not easy. So please, don't judge me. I am not a horrible person. I realize my last post may make me sound like one, but I am a dramatic person who can sometimes have the tendency to blow things up and make them sound way bigger than they are.

So there you have it, clarification for all of our sakes.

7 Thoughts:

Boo said... [Reply to comment]

It made me so angry to read that one comment that person left you. Your post in no way shape or form made me think that you were an abusive pet owner in the least. If fussing at your pet was abuse, then I'd be guilty of it too.

I'm glad Mags is feeling better but where exactly does one get pumpkin soup.

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry you have to deal with so much crap, both literally and figuratively. That rots. I have been following your blog for a while now and have never doubted that you adored your doggies. Don't let one person's comment (perhaps also having a Psycho Bitch moment, no?) get you down.
Hope everything clears up (again literally and figuratively) very soon.

Sweet Georgia said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry you felt the need to clarify. I can completely relate to the frustration of a sick dog. Hopefully, you (and Mags) are feeling better!

BTW - I've read your blog for a while too, and know from what you've said that your dogs are your babies and you would never harm them!

infantadoptionjourney said... [Reply to comment]

I'm glad that you are doing better today and I hope that this has clarified your feelings for your dogs, if you have to clarify at all. Hello people if you don't know this woman reading her blog P*SSOFF.

Anyway,hope Maggie is ok now.

BTW - I've started to stop my puppies sleeping in the bed, thought I really should since they are so large and I'm trying to adopt. If I had a baby naturally I;m sure it wouldn't concern anyone but since I have to impres our children services, thought I better start to change a few things around our house.

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, what a shame that someone made you feel you need to clarify anything. Your previous blog entry made it perfectly clear that you raised your voice (and not your hand). Now you have written this piece, lay the whole thing to rest and do not stress any more over this as you need to keep yourself calmer for little bean (oh and for Adam!).
Chat very soon, Liz

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

some people just have no common sense. I don't think ANYone with two cents to rub together thinks you do anything to mistreat your dogs. Hell, I probably yell at my dog three times as much as you do. Pffft.

*hugs*

louise said... [Reply to comment]

I hope both Mags and Sadie Roo are OK now. I am sorry you received a negative comment, it is upsetting I agree, but don't stress over it, you are not the one in the wrong here. x

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary