Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Hello Stress, My Old Friend

Yep, the stress has finally set in. My little brother came down over the weekend for the last time in this house and helped me clean out unwanted clothing and DVDs. We spent the whole day Saturday running around; we made three trips to second-hand donation center, sold back DVDs to F.Y.E. ($42!), picked up boxes from our storage unit, bought new bathroom fixtures from Target and Home Depot, ate dinner, and went to the grocery store. After all of my running around on Saturday, I was glad to have a 2-hour massage already scheduled for Sunday. I'm still a little sore from that, but I sure did love having my feet and hands rubbed. Ahhhhh!

Yesterday evening we went to my parent's house for some Sunday dinner and I grabbed most of what was left of mine at their house. This was when everything really sunk in. I am leaving my family behind. I'm leaving the only place I have ever really lived (outside of college). Needless to say, countless tears were shed. I even ended up with one of my most prized possessions that I was not allowed to take from my dad's house before yesterday: my grandpa's trumpet. (My grandpa played trumpet for over 40 years and had his own band in the Big Band Era. He played at a lot of dances in his time.) I took with me a lot of my childhood memories including a box of notes written from my old best friend to me during our junior and senior years of high school. I can't wait to read through those and remiss in the daily stress of a teenager. I came across boxes of goodies from my college days that have been stored and forgotten in my parent's basement until last night. When I left my parent's last night my mother and I said tearfull goodbyes, even though I will be back up at their house all day this coming Saturday. It just really hit us that I am moving far away from my family. I cried the whole way home in the car as I looked over the valley where I spent most of my life and realized what I was leaving behind. The thought, "I hope I know what I'm doing; I hope I like Texas," kept going through my head. I guess I cried more than I thought last night because I woke up with puffy eyes this morning. lol

Now I have mixed emotions about the move. I was so excited the first few days after I received the news. Excitement changed to stress as I realized what needed to be done before we leave. Stress changed to sadness as I realized I am leaving behind my family and the only place I have ever known. Today I am a mixed bag of emotions ranging from sadness to stress to downright pissiness (I think that's the PMS talking [I have never prayed so hard I wasn't pg]). Right now I just need to learn how to stop stressing. My new employer has done everything in their power to make this move as easy on us as they could. What I need to do more than that is stop taking my stress out on my sweetie who is, as ever, a calm, stress-free rock.

6 Thoughts:

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

aaww the suckiness of moving. I'm so sorry. Please know that this is all normal!! And you WILL miss home for quite a while, but give it some time and things will get better. And if they never get better, you do have options.

I still miss home and family, and I've been gone for 8 years. But I know that balanced with all the other pros and cons, this is the best decision for me and DH. And when I DO go home, i'm brutally reminded of why it would be such a bad place for us financially, job wise and culture wise.

Sorry for the assvice. It's just that I've gone through this a lot, and wish someone had told me that I'd feel so homesick for about 6 mos, but that I WOULD start to fit in and things WOULD go well. AND that some of these scary decisions would end up being the greatest, most exciting ones I'd made.

Lots of hugs.

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

I hope that the move goes smoothly for you. We will miss you!

The story of your grandpa's trumpet is awesome! I would love to have keepsakes as precious as that.

La La said... [Reply to comment]

It would be really hard for me to move away from my family. I would (and may) do it...but it would be *really* hard. You are a BRAVE woman!! =)

kari and kijsa said... [Reply to comment]

Oh the excitement and stress of a new adventure! We loved the part about your grandpa's trumpet...truly a treasure to help settle you into your new home! We hope the move goes smoothly and are so excited for your new opportunity (and a little jealous at the thought of a yummy Pappasito's meal...or delicious Blue Goose fajitas...mmmmmm)

blessings,
kari & kijsa

louise said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, everyone gets last minute nerves, and there is no doubt you will miss your home and family. You know that sacrifices do have to be made for your future happiness, and you have weighed up the pros and cons, and believe this is the way forward for you both. Maybe set up a webcam so you can keep in touch with your family, communication is made so much easier nowadays, texts are another good way of keeping in touch too, you can send as many of those a day as you like. Saying all this, the job and move must be what you really want? x

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, I think stressing over leaving things behind is only natural... it would be foolhardy if you were just up and moving without some thoughts of 'is this right for me?' Remember I told you about 'what's the worst that can happen?'... if you hate it, well you are such superstar girlie that you can find another job and move back again! Give Texas a really good go, enjoy each day for what it is, stress and all. It's only by being stressy that we know when the good days are!
Love as always, Liz

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary