Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Just Have to Tell Ya

I have a few things I want to share tonight. Some are happy, like really, really happy, and some are sad.

So, I got a call from my RE's nurse tonight after I got home. I was sitting with Baby Bean in our family room, an entire house away from where my cell phone sat tucked away in my purse, when my phone started ringing. The girls are really sore right now, and it hurt to run, so I had to grab on and make a mad dash to answer the phone before it went to voice mail. When I answered, it was the person I most wanted to hear from today.

I waited with bated breathe for her to give me my progesterone results. Are you ready for this number? I can tell you right now it is 7 higher than I hoped it would be, which was 3 times higher than I tested in my OB's office at 3dpo. If you just did quick math you would know my progesterone level was

28!!!

That's right, TWENTY EIGHT at 7dpo!

I was gobsmacked. I laughed and started doing a happy dance right there. I told the nurse about the problem with my OB and how she said my levels were only 7.5 at 3dpo and that she didn't think I had ovulated. The nurse then told me exactly what I had found in my google search, and that is that my RE considers anything above a 5 indicative of ovulation, so either way I knew I had ovulated.

TWENTY EIGHT!

I need to go through my old charts back when we first started doing infertility treatments and see what those numbers were. I'm curious now.

I wish I had thought to ask if 28 meant there was more than one corpus luteum in there since my OB had mentioned after my u/s that it looks like I could have ovulated off both sides this month. Maybe I will ask my doctor that tomorrow when we have our WTF appointment. (Sorry mom, that's what it's called here in infertile-land.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ladies, I need all of you to give a shout out to and say a prayer for my sister please. She is about 25-26 weeks pregnant and just found out last week that her Rh antibodies are attacking her baby's blood. This means that her white blood cells are trying to kill her baby. They view it as a virus.

Because she has already lost a pregnancy at 24 weeks, she knows when things don't feel right, and last week she knew something was up. She went in and demanded her doctors take a close look at her baby, and it is a good thing they did. If they hadn't my niece might not be alive right now. Typical hemoglobin levels are around 14. This is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells. In other words, it what makes your life juice move. Her baby's hemoglobin levels were 1.9.

They had to do a blood transfusion on the baby that day, which is very risky. It is right up there with an amnio, if not worse. They actually have to transfuse blood into the baby's umbilical cord. Luckily the first transfusion worked, but it only brought her levels up to an 8. My sister had to go in again earlier this week for another transfusion, which brought her levels up a little bit further. She will have to go in again next week, and then hopefully it will only be every 2-3 weeks for the remainder of her pregnancy.

They think with the transfusions they can keep the baby alive and the pregnancy going, but with every transfusion, there is the risk of early labor.

The low hemoglobin also created other problems in that it resulted on water on the baby's brain and heart. They say the transfusions will help clear this up, and that there will be no lasting side effects.

Needless to say, she is in a very scary place right now. Having already lost a baby at 24 weeks, she is even more nervous. Please, visit her blog and give her some words of encouragement. Send her some love and prayers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't want to leave this blog on such a sad note, so I will end by telling you a cute story.

Yesterday when Baby Bean and I got home for the day, I pulled into the driveway and turned off the car. I turned around and asked, "Where is Baby Bean?" She replied, "Baby Bean is in the car."

I laughed and was astonished at the fact that my daughter already grasps that concept. She is so amazingly intelligent. In fact, her daycare teacher was prompted by her supervisor to teach BB a new word every day, and to keep track of the new words she learns. Her teacher created an art project with a little paper pot, and for every word each child learns each day, she will create a leaf to put in their individual pots. She hung these up on the cabinets in the classroom.

When she told me about the new project she laughed and said, "Your daughter's pot is going to fill up faster than anyone else's and is going to need a whole wall!" Oh my sweet baby girl. Her mama's wish for her to be intelligent is coming true, even at an early age.

7 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

HOLY HELL! 28 - WOW, that is so so so impressive. YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I secretly hope that means you have t2 babies making themselves at home! :) So happy for you and such great news. I can't wait to hear how the WTF appt goes tomorrow, I will be praying for you and that you don't end up in jail, LOL!

So sorry to hear about your neice and sister. That is so scary. I will for sure keep them in my prayers and hope that the quick catch will be the factor that helps her overcome. Thank God for a mothers intuition!

BB is so cute and she is definitely one smart cookie!!!

Love you girl, good luck tomorrow!

Sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Yay for the 28!!!!

I am so sorry about your sister. what a mess. I will stop by her blog and let her know she is in my heart.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

I'm standing in front of my computer doing the happy dance with you! That is fantastic news...and you KNOW I'll be saying prayers for your sister. xoxo

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

First of all, yay for your levels! Amazing! And so happy they were SO high. Holy crap!!! My levels at the very beginning of my pregnancy were about 21. Hmm. . . 28 sounds great. :)

And I'm so sorry about your sister. How wonderful that she knows her body so well and went to be seen. Thinking and praying for her.

AL said... [Reply to comment]

28 is AWESOME!!! Hooray for Ovulation!

I will definitely be thinking of and saying prayers for your sister and her baby.

Nixy said... [Reply to comment]

yea for 28! And I 'll say a few prayers for your sister.

And seriously, how cute is Baby Bean? I mean jeez...

Kahla said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats on a great number, hoping that will just lead to more good news for you!

Sending prayers for your sister, can only imagine how scary that is.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary