Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Goodbye Frankie

Many people don't know this about me, and it saddens me greatly, especially today, but I had a cat named Frankie, whom I got when I was 17 years old from my brother-in-law's parents the weekend of my sister's and his wedding. As you all do know, I am HUGE animal lover. To me, my animals are not just animals, they are companions, they are best friends, they mean as much to me as people in my life do. They are very dear to me.

My kitty, Frankie, has lived with my parents since I moved out. Partly because I didn't want to uproot him from the only home he had ever known, but also because somewhere around the time I was 24-25, I became allergic to him. That didn't stop me from loving him and petting him, of course. I often gladly took the consequences to my love and affection for him.

Today while I was at work, my dad called me from the vet to tell me that he had to put my kitty down. The vet got on the phone and explained that he thought Frankie had a tumor somewhere, and that he suspected my cat's lungs were filled with liquid. He could barely breath, and my dad said that movement and even being touched and held were obviously painful for him.

Together, my dad and I cried as the vet prepared my cat, and then put him to rest.

I couldn't handle it. I was crying so hard. Sobbing. I loved my cat so much.

I knew I was drawing the attention of my coworkers, but I couldn't move. All I could do was cry and tell my dad to please have my kitty cremated and sent to me.

Frankie was always there for me. We went through a lot together. Whenever I needed a good cry, I would hold him in my lap and cry on his sweet, soft head while he gently purred and rubbed his lips along my jawline. There was nothing in this world as soothing to me as his purr. I told him all of the time that he was good for my heart, because as soon as I would touch him, no matter how stressed out I was, I could literally feel my blood pressure dropping and a sense of peace and calm come over me. It never ceased to amaze me how instantaneous my reaction to him was.

He was the sweetest, most loving cat. He loved to be pet and doted on. My brother and dad are going to miss him most because whenever they went out to the garage (which is where our cats live because my mother won't let animals in the house), Frankie would always run up and greet them. Even after I went away to college or moved away from home, I could always count on Frankie to come running when I opened the door and he heard my voice. He never failed. As soon as he heard my voice, he would come running, and start purring the second our eyes met.

The blessed kitty humored me too. I used to give him regular baths. While he didn't like them, he put up with them. Often times, I would bathe him, towel dry him, brush him out, and then curl up with him on my bed. He would always purr until he fell asleep.

One of my all-time favorite things was to cuddle with him and take naps with him. I used to hold him for hours on end. He was my kitty. My first very own kitty.

We spent many wonderful years together, and even though he was 14, it still doesn't make it easier to let him go. It breaks my heart that I wasn't with him physically petting him in his last moments alive. It hurts so much to think I will never see his yellow eyes again, feel his soft fur, or hear him purr for me. The next time I see him, he will be in a wooden box with his name on it, reduced to nothing but ashes.

I love you kitty. Thank you so much for being such a blessing in my life. I loved you so very much, and I am heartbroken to let you go. I will love you always.


Frankie 1996-2010

12 Thoughts:

mckala7 said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry to hear about Frankie. I also had a cat for a long time. From when I was 8 to 26 and losing her right before I had Dustin was very difficult so I can definitely relate. Love you bear. Hang in there.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Awww Chelle, I am so sorry. That is so hard. I love the pictures and stories about him, he is a beautiful cat. The age doesn't matter, it's always hard to say goodbye - so sorry for you loss of Frankie!

Suzanne said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh Michelle. . . I'm so sorry. :( I cried reading this post. I know how sad it is to lose a member of the family. . . and that's exactly what Frankie was to you.

Isn't it amazing how cats can be so supportive? My cat sat on my lap so many times as I cried about the infertility nightmare. Thinking of you girly.

~ifer said... [Reply to comment]

Pets have a way of becoming family, and the pain of losing them is so very real. You are in my thoughts and prayers today, my friend.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Totally made me cry. Man I love cats. Such a cutie.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Oh Chelle, I'm so so sorry. I too had cats with a relationship like this (though the wouldnt have let me bath them so that really speaks of Frankie's sweet nature). Mine died at 15 and 18 and it broke my heart both times so I know just how you feel. But if he was in pain it really was the best thing. Sending you lots of hugs today. xx

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

So sorry to hear about Frankie. I dread the day when that will happen to my Gabby. She has really been my only pet and I love her SO much. (((hugs))) to you! <3

Alex said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss of Frankie! I lost my dear cat at 13 years old last year, and I know how it feels to lose someone so special. Hugs to you and your dad.

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Awww, your poor kitty. :( Sorry that you lost your family member. *hugs*

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Oh sweetie...I feel SO bad I didn't see this until now. I feel like the worst friend. I know how much your animals mean to you. I'm so sorry about Frankie. I'm here for you if you need anything....I'm just a phone call away. (((HUGS)))

carrie said... [Reply to comment]

:( Sorry to hear about your kitty. We just lost one of ours about a month ago, too. It's so sad :(

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary