Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Shattered Dream

I went to my ultrasound this morning to check that everything from my rupture had healed well enough that I could start trying for another baby in the next couple of months. I feel so stupid now that on my drive in I was thinking the biggest of my worries was when to start using OPKs. I got the answer to that. Never.

I went into that appointment so hopeful, so sure that everything was going to be okay, that it was going to be a fantastic appointment, I would skip out of there with my prescription for prenatals. I watched as the tech found my scar tissue, and as she found a 5mm cyst on my right ovary (which explains all of the pains I've been having), and as she found my beautiful left ovary. I'll hand it to her, she is a professional. Her demeanor never changed. She asked me to wait while she asked my doctor if she wanted to come in and make sure there wasn't anything else we needed to look at. I sat there, praying everything was fine and preparing myself for good news.

My doctor came in and watched the screen. The tech moved the wand to my scar tissue and pointed at a black spot right next to it. I looked at her face and at my doctor's face, waiting for any indication of good or bad. I held my breath. I held out hope. "Everything is fine. Its perfect. Don't freak out."

Then came the bomb shell.

There is no muscle on my uterine wall next to the rupture. The wall right there is paper thin and my intestines could be viewed through it on the ultrasound. As it stands right now, I am no longer able to have any more children.

My world fell out from underneath me. I was not prepared for this. I never in a million years thought I would hear that today. I started to cry and ask if it could be fixed. My doctor isn't sure, so she is going to call a high risk OB and consult with their fertility specialist today and call me back. I have to say right now, my hopes are not high. I just sat there and cried. What did I do to deserve this? Haven't I been through enough? My doctor held me in a tight hug, told me she was sorry, and that she would see if there is anything we can do.

My doctor and the tech left the room so I could get dressed, and I cried so hard. I sobbed like my world had come to an end. I couldn't collect myself well enough to stop sobbing. The tech came back in a few minutes later and told me I could use the back entrance so I wouldn't have to walk through a waiting room full of preggies. She told me my doctor would do all she could, and she hoped for the best for us.

I did not expect this!

I walked as fast as I could out of the hospital and to my car, avoiding all eye contact and trying to keep my tears in check. As soon as I got to the car I sobbed from the very tips of my toes. My heart was breaking. I called Hubs and told him about the appointment. All I could do was cry from my very core.

I didn't want to be back here again, but here I am. This is so unfair. I have done everything I was supposed to do. I have been through enough. Why am I facing this?

I know I am very blessed because I at least have my daughter. I am so grateful for her, and I am still grateful for everything I had to go through to get her. I always will be. But right now, I feel so very broken again. I feel like I am worse off now than I was before as far as TTC is concerned.

Why did God let me feel like everything was going to be okay when it isn't? Why did He put such a strong desire to have more children in me when it isn't going to happen? Why did He let my "instincts" tell me that I would be able to start trying for another baby in a couple of months when I'm not? I don't understand. If this isn't going to happen, then He needs to take these feelings and desires away. For the last four years of my life, ALL I have focused on is building a family. That is all I have truly wanted. More than anything.

I want my daughter to have a sibling. I don't want her to be an only child. I want her to have a friend who is always there. Someone to grow up with, play with, get in trouble with, have secrets from mom and dad with. It is so lonely being an only child. I had siblings, and I want that for my daughter.

Please, if you leave a comment don't tell me to be glad I at least have my daughter. I AM glad. I am so blessed to have her. I know that so many of you are trying for your first and are struggling, but that does not make my pain feel any less great right now. The bottom of my world and all of my hope have been pulled out from underneath me. My day went from being exciting to wondering what the hell I am going to do now, to questioning myself, my hope, and my instincts. To realizing that even IF this can be fixed, I am at least another year away from trying, if not longer. My life plans have all gone out the window. Everything I have been hanging onto this last year was ripped from my grasp in a moment this morning.

I am dumped right back where I was three years ago, only worse in some ways. I have a bathroom cabinet stocked clear full of OPKs and pregnancy tests. All of them will have to be thrown away now. All of the pregnancy items I have waiting in my closet have to go away. My hopes and dreams have gone away.

Everything hangs in the balance on a phone call from my doctor. Will they be able to fix it? How long will recovery take? What will happen with my endo and PCOS while we wait? I'm getting older, I don't have much time left to continue building my family. How is all of this going to affect world again? This just plain is NOT fair.

I may be absent from blogging for a while. Right now, I feel like I need to be away from everything TTC-related. I just can't handle this. I can't handle the fact that I am where I am. I need to grieve and pick up the pieces of my shattered dream.

19 Thoughts:

Jess said... [Reply to comment]

{{{Chelle}}} I cannot even begin to understand what you are going through and feeling right now. My heart just breaks for you and your husband. I will be praying for both of you during this time.

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh Chelle,

I am SO sorry. I'm crying right along with you, and am so sorry about the news you heard today. And I'll beat anyone up who tells you to be grateful for your daughter. Of course you are grateful for her, but that doesn't mean that you don't have the right to mourn what you heard today. You have every right to mourn.

Please know that I am thinking and praying for you. And if there is anything I can do for you (ANYTHING) please let me know.

And trust me. . . You did nothing to deserve this. Sometimes we are all dealt things that are so beyond comprehension.

I wish I had something profound to say that would lift your sadness, but all I can say is that you always have a friend in me.

Dana said... [Reply to comment]

Oh Sweetheart! I am crying for you! I am just so sorry to hear this. I hope your doctor calls back with good news for you! Would yall ever do a surrogate? ::HUGE HUGS!::

laurieb145 said... [Reply to comment]

So sorry for your devastating news..I am thinking about you and your family while you try to make sense of all of this. Take care.

Nixy said... [Reply to comment]

oh Chelle! I'm so very very sorry for you. You are in my prayers, and I hope the doctor has good news.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.

Marla said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, God, Chelle. I'm so, so sorry. *hugs* There are no words, but just know that I can sympathize bc I am in a semi-permanent holding position as well. I was on high for a couple of weeks when my world fell out from underneath me, so I know a little bit of what you're going through.

I'm really sorry and I was not expecting this at all. *hugs*

Allison (Ali) said... [Reply to comment]

There really aren't words to help when we get news that devastates. I'm sorry

AL said... [Reply to comment]

My heart just broke into a million little pieces reading this. I'm so incredibly sorry, Chelle.

I hope the doctors will have some more positive news for you in the near future. I will be thinking and praying for you.

Big ((HUGS))

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. I definitely wasn't expecting this at all. I'm so sorry sweetie. I know there are no words. Please know that i'm thinking and praying for you. I'm always here for you. (((HUGS)))

Carrie said... [Reply to comment]

Oh goodness... I wasn't expecting this at all either. I had to reread things multiple times because it wasn't making any sense with what should have been happening.

Yes, take a break if you need to and if anyone says something about being grateful for your daughter, kick them in the shins because they obviously just don't understand.

When you are ready to talk more (or vent or cuss or cry) you know we will all be here waiting to listen.

(((hugs)))

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my god, I am crying. This is horrible, horrible news and you have every right to feel devestated and don't let anyone tell you any differently.

Take all the time that you need and don't worry about commenting on other people's blogs - if I may offer a small smidge of advice (that I won't be offended if you don't take), let yourself blog if you need to and leave it as one sided (don't feel guilty about following anyone else or keeping up with their news)
- it can help you work out your feelings and be cathartic for you. Though, of course, just do what you need to to survive at this point.

You are in my thoughts and I am sending you very warm hugs and comfort from Australia. I am so sorry that this has happened to you, I don't think it fair.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I'm so, so sorry. Know that I'm here and I care. *hug*

[cre] said... [Reply to comment]

Chelle, I am SO sorry. I cannot even pretend to understand what you are going through. I just hope you know that you do have a large community of women who love and support you here but every single one of us would understand if you need a break from blogging. We will be here waiting for you when you return. You are in my thoughts and please know if you need anyone to unload on, you know I am here.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I am sorry you have to go through this or any other trial in your life right now. I will pray for you to be comforted. I am here whenever you want to cry to me.

Kristen said... [Reply to comment]

I am truly sorry for where you are at. I know what I went through is nothing compared to your journey thus far. It took a year to get pregnant with our daughter. We lost a set of twins at 15 weeks and have not been able to get pregnant since. I do understand your desires for you little girl to have a sibling. I am in the same place. If you ever need someone to understand the desire for a second child and the grieving you are going through you can comment on my blog anytime.
Kristen

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Here from LFCA- I am so sorry!!!! {{HUGS}} I will be thinking of you.

Queenie. . . said... [Reply to comment]

I am so very sorry. Bad news is always hard to take, but it's so much worse when it's unexpected. I hope you get better news from here.

Kath said... [Reply to comment]

Dear Chelle, I came over from LFCA. I am so, so sorry to hear your sad news. Hoping with all my heart there's something they can do after all.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary