Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Belated Crapentines

I would like to say I posted this Crapentines post late on purpose to show my protest for the holiday, but the fact of the matter is I simply forgot and found other things more important.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of Valentines. I'm not sure when my displeasure for the day began, but it was sometime back in elementary school. Perhaps it was brought on by the fact that my birthday is a few days before it, or perhaps it is because of the way kids gave me the cards from their box of Valentines that they didn't want and/or left the candy out of the ones they gave me because they didn't like me. Come on, we all did it to the people we didn't like. Either way, I've never been a fan of the day.

Apparently by the look on my daughter's face in the picture above, she is following in mama's shoes. That little ditty was taken by her teacher at daycare. When she showed it to me I laughed my butt off. It cracks me up!

Before I got married, and sometime after the holiday became something more serious than passing out Sc.oobie Do.o cards, the day became known as "Single Aw.areness Da.y." It was never a day in which I was sad if I didn't have a significant other. In fact, I usually hoped I wouldn't have a special someone on the day. If I did, I warned the guy not to do anything for me or face my wrath by my breaking up with him. I had a guy test it one year. His roommates had convinced him I was a silly girl who said one thing but meant another. Poor shmuck. We broke up. He should have listened to me and not his roommates. (Honestly, I was going to break up with him anyway, he just gave me a reason I couldn't pass up.)

Now, if you are a fan of the day, I don't begrudge you the pleasure one bit. If you love getting the presents and going out to dinner, that is cool. Some people really look forward to this holiday, and I think that is great. For me, however, it just doesn't hold any appeal. That being said, I will leave my daughter's opinion of the day up to her. I will celebrate it for her until she is able to decide if she likes the day or not, and then she can celebrate Valentines or Crapentines (aka Single Awe.reness Da.y).

4 Thoughts:

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Was yesterday Valentine's Day? You can clearly see how meaningful it is to me. . . considering the time came and went without my notice. Ha.

The picture is adorable though. Too darn cute! :-D

~ifer said... [Reply to comment]

When I was single, and alone, Valentine's was a painful day for me, but never one that I begrudged others from having. I always thought it was a sweet idea, it just hurt when I had nobody to celebrate it with.

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

I agree. :) I've never been a big fan. I think it's because I was single most of the Valentine's Days in my life. But I've never actually really looked forward to it. :)

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

The picture of baby bean made me giggle. I think love should be celebrated every day and not just one day a year.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary