Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I AM Grateful

Today I got the response I knew I would eventually get in regard to the possibility of not being able to have any more children. That is to say, the response that had no feeling behind it. The kind where the person is really telling you to suck it up and move on, rather than giving you the heartfelt canned response. I am sure you know which one I'm talking about: "At least you already have your daughter." I would expect that response from someone who didn't really know or care about me, but I got this from someone I considered to be a dear friend. I didn't even tell her about my news. She heard about it from someone else and approached me to ask me how I was doing. I'll be honest, it hurt.

She didn't even give me the chance to tell her I AM grateful that at least I have my daughter before she moved onto another subject. It took all I had to sit there and be polite.

Because of this, I feel like I need to put things into perspective for anyone who isn't or hasn't been where I am right now, just as I felt I needed to put infertility into perspective for the rest of the fertile world. I am doing this for me and every other woman who knows what I am going through right now.

For those of you still trying for #1, you know how strong that feeling and desire is to get just one baby? Well, after you get that one baby, that desire to get another one is equally as strong. It isn't that you don't appreciate the first one, or that you are ungrateful, it is that you have a desire, an internal drive to bring more offspring into the world. You know how you would and are doing everything you can to get #1? That drive is still there just as strong when it comes to #2, if not more so because now you know exactly what it is you a trying for.

This time you already have an attic full of baby clothes, toys, bouncy seats, car seats, bottles, etc. that you stored away after #1 so you could use it all again on #2. You lovingly put all of those things up there, along with your maternity clothes, all the while telling yourself it was okay to do so because you would get to use them again. You had to tell yourself that to keep the IF feelings at bay. To keep from hurting, you tell yourself that the precious moments in which those items were used will be repeated with a sibling for your baby. You put them up there while envisioning your first child entertaining your next child in that bouncy seat while wearing those shorts with those booties. You fold up your maternity pants and pack them away, promising to see them in a year or so, all the while praying you are right. That is the only way you can cope with hiding these items away, especially after fighting so hard to get to use them the first time.

Getting the news I got on Friday isn't a suck it up deal. It is the death of a dream. A dream I have had since I was a little girl. The one in which I would grow up, get married, and have three children. The one where I watch my children playing and fighting with their siblings. The one where I take my children to Dis.ney La.nd and they have a riding buddy for the roller coasters. It is the realization that my daughter might not have anyone to play board games with when all of her friends have to go home. It is the realization that I, as her mother, cannot give her the one thing I want more than anything for her because I had it growing up: SIBLINGS.

Whom will she seek out Christmas presents with? Whom will she wait for Santa with? Whom will she keep secrets with? Who will play on her playground with her when her friends can't come over?

I had a friend who was an only child growing up, and she always wished she had siblings. I learned not to wish mine away around her because it hurt her that I had what she wanted and would never have. I had friends and playmates at my house 24/7. Now that we are all grown up, we travel across the country to just see each other. We are a very close family.

Can you see why I would want that for my daughter? Can you see why this news is so devastating to me? In some ways, it is like a miscarriage for me. I know a miscarriage would be much more devastating, but this is still very devastating to me. It isn't just about me, it is about the childREN I can't give my husband, and the siblings I can't give my daughter. This is a major loss to us.

This has nothing to do with my not being grateful for what I have. I have said all along that my daughter is worth everything I went through to get her, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I mean that. My blog is a testament to just how much I love my darling baby girl. The last couple of days I have hugged her tighter, held her longer, kissed her more, made each second together count for twice as much, told her I love her more, and look lovingly at her more. She is probably feeling smothered because I already did those things in excess before Friday.

People tell me I can adopt or surrogate. I am all for adoption, but it isn't all for us. We looked into adoption when we were going through infertility, and it never felt right. Surrogacy is like walking a fine line. They are options, yes, but they aren't what I saw in my dream. I realize I have to accept reality and that my dream may have just been that, but I deserve to grieve the loss of it without it being minimized. Without being told in a not-so-nice way to suck it up and be grateful. I deserve as much sympathy as I would if I had miscarried, because the way I see things right now, I did lose my two babies. They were ripped from my grasp by a scalpel 2.5 years ago. Had that septum been left alone, I could have been pregnant long before now.

This is a death to me. It is a death in my heart and my head. I am having to lay to rest my dream of giving birth to three babies after I already went through years of infertility hell.

I only want one thing out of this post, and that is to put the word out to the rest of the world what women in my position are going through. If you have to give us canned responses, at least make them seem like they are from the heart. We're going through enough without heartless responses. Remember it is the same as a death to us. Treat it as you would any other announcement of loss, and if you can't give empathy, then please don't say anything at all.

20 Thoughts:

Jess said... [Reply to comment]

First of all, {{{HUGS}}}. I am sorry that your "friend" was not sensitive. I am just now pg with #1 after 11 years of ttc. But even before I became pregnant I understood the need for a 2nd or 3rd child. Wanting more children is not like upgrading to a bigger house or a newer car. You are not trying to have more or get something better, you are just wanting to complete family.

Please don't feel the need to justify your desire to have another child or two or three. Wanting another baby does not diminish the love that you have for your daughter. Praying that there is a way for you to carry another baby.

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said... [Reply to comment]

My heart is hurting for you, Chelle and I know it is a horrible thing to say but I want to slap your friend.

This post is an uncomfortable read, uncomfortable because it is all so raw and true - well done on writing it and getting it out to the world to understand what these situations are like.

I 100% agree with you. So many steps along the IF journey are like a death that you have to grieve. I have an IRL friend who was almost apologetic to me because even though she had had 3 miscarriages trying to have her second child, she already had a beautiful son. I told her that is 100% total crap, if something is a dream for you and that dream is crushed, it is like a death. When she told me that after 4 years of trying she was pregnant with her second child, I cried tears of joy for her.

When I realised that I could not have my own biological child, I also grieved for the golden hair child who was a good swimmer - I also treated that like a death and grieved it.

You are a brave and strong woman who I sincerely admire. You are handling everything amazingly. You grieve and do anything that you can to deal with this unfair hand you have been dealt.

I am always thinking of you.

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

Everyone else gets to decide the size of their families, and you should get to too... Plain and simple. No one should make you feel like you have any less of a right to mourn just because you already have your daughter. I'm so sorry.

And, when I was really down (after the news from my last surgery that it was pretty much now or never for me) my best friend said to me that she would just adopt if she were me. She said it just like this "I think you're going to be fine, you can just adopt"... Did I mention she said this while 7 months pregnant and with her perfect 3 year old running around our feet. It killed me, and I almost killed her.

I think there is just no way they can get it. That's one of the main reasons I very rarely discuss my infertility struggles with my fertile friends anymore; it's not as if they are uncompassionate, they just don't get it....

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

A very beautiful post, and I'm sorry that you wrote it because of an insensitive comment you received.

Sometimes I am amazed at people's ability to only see the black and the white in this world. Because you are sad about what you just heard, you aren't appreciating your daughter. Well the truth is, is that the world we live in is very gray. You are allowed to grieve your possible loss of a dream (who wouldn't?) and still love your daughter to pieces and thank God for her every day.

I'm really sorry you had to be on the receiving end of an ignorant comment. As someone who has grieved and mourned the loss of a dream, I know that it's a VERY real loss.

And I loved what you said about the desire for #2 being just as strong as a desire for child #1. I think people forget that, but if your dream was for a few children, of course you should be in mourning right now.

Okay dear, this comment has already gotten way too long. Just know that I'm thinking of you and admire your strength.

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I am sure your friend didn't mean to hurt you but that doesn't undo those hurt feelings. I am sad that you are struggling right now and I wish that I could make it all better for you. I know how much you love your daughter. I know that mothers experience such great feelings of joy when they have their first and know that if they had that with just one, what would it be like with two!?!? I too have thought that. Once again I am so sorry that you are going through this.

Carrie said... [Reply to comment]

I never understood people making those types of comments. Most likely she WAS trying to comfort you in her own way, but all she did was show that she really doesn't get it. If she had any idea of what you are going through, she never would have said that.

When my brother died (he was 20, I was 16), my parents got lots of "Well, at least you still have Carrie!" comments, as if my life made his unexpected death more tolerable. It never made sense to me and still doesn't.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, when my fiance died, people didn't understand my grieving for our children who we never had a chance to have. I'd get the "at least you didn't have kids!" comments as if we were some bicking couple putting the kids in the middle of a divorce. I would have LOVED to have had his children and all those comments did was show me that they didn't understand what I was going through at all.

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so sorry you got such a harsh response from someone you care for. I wish there was something I could say or do to ease your pain and grief...My heart goes out to you, Chelle.

Nixy said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, i was just thinking about what Carrie posted about. I was thinking people wouldn't tell someone who lost a child that "at least they had another one." But I guess that some do.

It blows my mind that would even cross someone's mind, or that they would let it come out of their mouths.

So sorry that you had to listen to such insensitive remarks from someone that is supposed to be your friend. It shouldn't be that way.

Hugs.

AnxiousMummyto3 said... [Reply to comment]

Hey Chelle,
Thankyou for having the absolute courage and honesty to put this out there. It is important for those who say these insensitive things to realise how hurtful they are. I realise that perhaps your friend will never understand but you are making a difference every day by documenting your journey.
You were absolutely robbed by that doctor's actions and you have every right to grieve. You have lost your dream and also so has your family. I can't believe this doctor is still allowed to practice, given what you have lost. I am so devastated for you. You are in my thoughts all the time. Take care

DenosClan said... [Reply to comment]

I just want you to know how amazing your are. As I have been reading your blog, I can't tell you how much I admire you for putting it all out there. Your pain, heartache, your anger, your fight to have the family you dream of, your love for your little girl. As you have blogged about your journey to have a family, you have helped me heal more than anyone. I can't even begin to say thank you. I haven't experienced a fraction of what you have gone through, I won't pretend to know what it is like to go through what you are going through. But you have managed to put into words so many of feeling and emotions I have felt. You have performed a small miracle in my life. I pray the same for you. My heart goes out to you and your beautiful family. My prayers are with you. Sending lots of LOVE!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I never knew you were going through all of this. Lots of hugs being sent to you. I'm so sorry you received that insensitive comment. Sometimes people don't think about how what they say will come across and just say it anyway.

As I read through this post my heart hurt. I wouldn't say I know what it's like to go through infertility/loss in the medical sense, but I do know what it feels like to yearn for that completion of your family and have obstacles in the way.

My brother and his wife had twins (one boy/one girl) last August. The little boy was not supposed to survive birth. He lived for 4 precious weeks. So many people have made the comment "at least they still have the other baby" not realizing the pain that causes. I still have a hard time thinking about it without tears.

I pray that there will be a way for your family to grow in a way that will be pleasing for you.

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

I'm just shocked.....

I wanted to thank you first for being soooo unbelievably supportive on my blog when I was having a "bad" day which in comparison to you is nothing sweetie and I know that! Thank you for your kind words!

Okay, now I have to respond to this. :)

I obviously don't have a child yet. But I can tell you when I read your news on Friday, I was crying for you. I never thought you should be grateful for your daughter because I knew you were.

You know I'm very close to my nephew and nieces. With us being so close to them, my longing for a baby has just gotten stronger and stronger because I have so much love for THEM and because I'm so close to them. I can't imagine how strong my desire would be if we had one of our own....does that make sense?

So, I was crushed for you sweetie because I can't imagine going through what you went through and getting that news. I know we can't adopt, have our own kids, etc. and our only chance is with donor embryos....and I can tell you if someone said I couldn't carry a child, I wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm AMAZED by your strength.

I hope this all made sense.

I'm here for you sweetie always. I'm sorry about the insensitive comment, especially from a dear friend. That hurts. :(

I'm always here....just an e-mail away.

Lots of hugs and love!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Here from Creme de la Creme with tears running down my face. I remember so vividly the crushing sadness of coming across the baby things in the attic, yet never knowing if we'd get to use them again. As an only child myself, I swore I would not have 'just' one, yet there I was feeling stuck and hopeless.

Somebody gave me that exact same line, and I think it comes from a misguided need to fix things. It's so much harder to just abide with someone's pain than to offer a quick fix and run away from the discussion. I hope that in the ensuing months you've found lots of people who can just sit with you and love you without trying to patch the pain.

Also, I'm glad to see on your timeline that you've been cleared to try again. I wish you the best, and hope you are able to fill that empty seat at the table.

An Older Version said... [Reply to comment]

"At least you have your child"....always makes the child sound like a consolation prize to me.

This post reinforces how we need to not trivialize people's hurt, even if we cannot completely understand it.

(here from the creme)

EEMiles said... [Reply to comment]

This sums up a lot of the feelings I have as well. I am grateful for my daughter, but at the same time wishing for another that I know cannot be.
Secondary IF doesn't hurt just you, but to have a daughter that wishes and wants a sibling, and having to tell her "no, it isn't possible" is heart breaking.

Good luck on however you progress. Thank you for the beautiful post.
(found through Stirrup-Queens)

Mr. Thompson and Me said... [Reply to comment]

I love your honesty. Now a follower from Creme de la Creme and I can't want to read more.

Thank you for the powerful post.

Sara said... [Reply to comment]

I hear you. I've heard the same insensitive comment, and it just makes things worse. I know people don't mean any harm, but I do wish they would think before they speak.

(Here from creme.)

Esperanza said... [Reply to comment]

I have to say, when I was unsure if I would ever be a mother, I told myself that as long as I could have one child, I would be okay. But then I did and just as you described, I realized that I would not be "okay" if I couldn't have another. Of course, not having two or three is not AS bad as not having any, not having any would be something that would devastate me completely. But not giving my daughter siblings would still devastate me. It really, truly would. So I understand how you feel.

I'm sorry that you have to face the possible death of your dream. Those kinds of deaths are hard because you never actually had it and so there are no rituals to mourn its passing. And no one else recognizes your loss, which I think makes it worse somehow.

I hope that by some miracle you can give your daughter the siblings that you always dreamed of. I hope you can have more children and build the family you saw for yourself. I hope that for you and for every woman who has ever cherished that kind of dream. You are in my thoughts and in my heart.

reme de la Creme #125
Creme de la Creme 2010 Iron Clad Commenter Attempt
http://esperanzasays.wordpress.com/iron-clad-creme-de-la-creme-commenter/

Hope said... [Reply to comment]

Although I am still working towards #1, I know exactly what you mean about having a long term plan for several children, and seeing it slip away. That pain is very real. The the idea of not being able to give my first child siblings is unthinkable to me.

I am so sorry that your "friend" was so insensitive, and I am glad to see in your timeline that trying again is a possibility for you after all.

Thank you so much for sharing this post on the Creme de la Creme. I hope that your honesty will help people to better understand the experience of secondary IF.

Kaitlin said... [Reply to comment]

Just stumbled upon your blog. As someone also navigating the waters of secondary infertility...I so relate. I appreciate this post and wish more people would be more thoughtful in their responses. You're right. It does hurt. I couldn't sleep tonight, crying...wish E would have a sibling and knowing that he may never have that sibling as a playmate close in age. I look forward to following your blog.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary