Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Meatses

For Mother's day this year, Hubs bought me a new chest freezer. (Although we all know who bowling ball gifts are really for.) It has always been our goal to one day buy a freezer and fill it with meat. Last weekend our regular coupon mailer showed up at our front door. In it was a flier for a meat packing company nearby. They were having sale that Hubs thought was too good to be true, so he immediately got on the phone and made some inquiries. Within 10 minutes he had opened a 90-day account, even though he had the cash to pay for the meat up front, because if you opened an account you got an additional 100 lbs of meats, including 30 lbs of frozen veggies. All of that was on top of the 200 lbs of meat you could get for a few hundred dollars. He immediately made arrangements to go pick up our 300 lbs of meat and veggies for Monday night.

When he hung up the phone, he turned to me and told me that I did not have to go with him if I didn't want to because the meat was not pre-cut. Apparently they cut it on demand, while you watch. Soooo not my cup of tea. I can barely eat meat as it is, and I have to not think about the fact that it was previously a cute, furry animal. All weekend the thought of a cow happily grazing in a pasture crossed my mind. I felt so horrible knowing it was about to die and be cut up into steaks and then frozen in my garage freezer. I could just see its cute little eyes as it looked over the grassy field, completely oblivious that it was about to die. I told Hubs that if I didn't think about it, or see it in any form other than chopped up and packaged in white butcher paper, I would be fine.

Then on Saturday night we watched "The Changel.ing." Have you seen it yet or heard of the story? Its about a woman whose son is kidnapped by a serial killer in the late 1920s. With the help of a young boy, he kidnaped and chopped up over 20 children. The boy who assisted in the kidnappings came clean with the police, and they determined one of the 20 children was this woman's son. The boy said said a few of the kids got away, but he didn't remember which ones they were. They never determined if one of the 20 was the woman's kid. All they know is her son never came home. Of course, being a modern day movie, it came with gore, not limited to but including a man hacking away at screaming children with an axe, blood flying everywhere, and a pit full of bones. Yeah, so not a good movie choice before getting a load of meat.

The whole time Hubs was gone tonight, I tried not to think about it. He got home just as I was putting Baby Bean to bed. The entire back seat of his truck was packed with meat. I went out to help him bring it in to the freezer, and as I carried the bags, it made me absolutely sick. I could tell exactly what it was. It wasn't frozen, merely cold. It felt like meat and bone. I could smell it. I know it was pigs and cows, but it still got to me. On top of which, he managed to double our order from 300 lbs to 600 lbs. We're not going to need to buy meat for a very, very, very long time.

I will still eat it, and i will still enjoy a good piece of meat or a hearty slice of bacon. I think it will get easier for me to handle now that it will be frozen the next time I touch it, and I won't have to carry bags of raw meat in my arms. I am really glad he bought it. He knows I have really been wanting to start our food storage, and he just gave us the biggest boost toward our goal. I am glad my contribution will be easy things like canned veggies and Spagh.etti Os. lol

I wish I could just get the smell out of my nose!

7 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I highly highly recommend giving up meat, unless it's grass-fed and organic...i gave up red meat, it helped my endo, b/c of arachadonic acid (see endo-resolved.com) - i ate some more these past two months, because i needed the iron and b vitamins, but it as not organic / grass-fed, and i have had the worst pain / cramps of the recent years or so

you might also see an endo expert like the cec in atlanta, centerforendo.com or naprotechnology.com or a nfp doc who can teach you to chart , test hormones /supplement with progesterone

fertilitycare.com

omsoul.com

progesterone can help with endo / pregnancy, but you want to work with a doctor, google 'TTC progesterone'' or ''TTC prometrium''

diet can help, see makingbabies.com, endometriosis.org/nutrition.html

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Changeling was such a good movie!

And I hear you about meat. I do eat it, although in fairly limited portions, but I can't think about what it was. It just grosses me out a bit. ;-)

That's great that you guys will have your goal of a freezer full of meat. I always love meeting a goal. :-D

Tara said... [Reply to comment]

I did see The Changeling and thought it was a great movie but I also had a really hard time with the particular scene you refer to.

I would imagine that would probably be th worst thing for you to see in your situation - already being squeemish about meat and then getting a truck load of it delivered the next day. Ugh!

Well, hopefully you won't have to buy any meat or veggies for quite some time now!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I think it is wonderful that you were buying the cow so to speak and putting that new freezer to good use !!

~ICLW

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! That's alot of meat! I can't even begin to imagine what 600lbs of meat looks like!

I also can't enjoy my meat if I "know where it came from". One reason I can't go fishing...can't see the fish and then eat the fish!

ICLW

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I LOVE MEAT! I love roast, some steaks, ground beef, and bacon. However, I hate eating meat off of a bone. That is just sick to me. I'm jealous that you got such a great deal. I wish I lived close to you so I could have gotten a deal like that.

Kim said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! That is a lot of meat! Glad your freezer is being put to good use! I would have felt a little sick too!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary