A few years after graduating from college I met my husband, who was a convert. Together we got out of the habit of going to church all together. We tried going a few times after we first got married, but not once did anyone from our congregation come over and talk to us after the meetings were over. No one even acknowledged our existence. So fine, we didn't really want to go to church in the first place, but feeling completely unwelcome and unwanted only further cemented our reasons for not going. We didn't set foot in a church again for the next three years.
We always said that we would go back to church if we moved to Texas or got pregnant. As fate would have it, both happened within months of each other. Then one day in August, when I was barely starting to show my pregnancy, we went back. The difference between the congregation here and in our previous state was night and day. As soon as the first meeting concluded, swarms of smiling faces came over to meet and greet us. We were shocked. Within weeks, members of the congregation came over to our house to welcome us and get to know us better. Hubs was in heaven because he was finally meeting people (remember he works from home and is somewhat of a hermit), and not only that, but he liked them!
Now we get to the awkward part. In our church, there is a group of ladies who are in charge of compassionate service, fellowshipping other women, etc. This group came over to my house within a couple weeks of my going back to church. Within the first 10 minutes they were here, they were asking to throw me a baby shower.
I am a rather introverted person to start with, but I get even moreso when I am the center of attention. I know this sounds weird, but when I got married I dreaded the bridal showers. I hated opening gifts in front of scads of women and trying to act happy when I really felt just plain stupid. "Oh wow! A crock pot! That will come in so handy on those cold winter days. Thank you so much." Uh yeah, I felt lame. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful and thankful to the hostesses and all of the people who showed up to support me. I just don't like all eyes on me and people watching my reaction to opening gifts.
Baby showers on the other hand, are so much worse for me because I have to pretend I feel all squishy inside as I open baby outfit after baby outfit. I do love the outfits, but I just don't go all googly over baby stuff the way most women do (or pretend to). I don't go all googly over other people's babies either. I'm just not that type of woman. I attended a double baby shower for two women in my congregation I didn't know back in September, and even though it wasn't for me, I still hated it because everyone there expected the pregnant woman to be as gushy as the women opening the presents. "Aren't you just so excited to have your baby now?! Does this make you wish you were having your baby now? I bet you can't wait until its your shower." Please, let me slink into a dark corner where I can evade such silly comments. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
When the women asked to throw me a shower, I thanked them from the bottom of my heart, but respectfully declined for a couple of reasons: 1. I hate being the center of attention; and 2. I didn't know anybody here. I didn't feel right asking almost 100 women I didn't know to come shower me in gifts. The women persisted. They really wanted to throw me a shower. They said it was my opportunity to meet people and have people get to know me. Slowly, and extremely reluctantly, I gave in. When I told Hubs about it later, he was a bit disappointed in my telling them no in the first place. He reminded me that they offered, I didn't ask. They WANTED to do this for me, and I was denying them that happiness. He told me that I should allow them to throw the shower, and to just be sure that I attend all of the showers I would get invited to even when I didn't know the women. I don't think to this day he really knows what an awkward situation this is for me.
Over the next few months my church attendance was still a bit lax, while Hubs went every single Sunday with or without me. The less I went, the more I hoped they would forget about the baby shower, especially since I wasn't meeting people. Nope. Guess again. Every time I showed up, they reminded me they wanted to throw me a shower and began talking about dates. If I felt awkward about it before, it paled in comparison. Again, I tried to resist, but to no avail.
I got my evite to my own baby shower today. It is scheduled for next Saturday, and over 90 people have been invited. I don't know if many of them will actually show up. There maybe a half dozen or so. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I am totally dreading it. Yes, I am lame. I have zero problem going to showers for women I don't know, but I have a problem with being the receiver of gifts from them.
Right now, I need some form of escapism. I need to get my mind off of its current plagues and do something enjoyable so I don't follow my gut and crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head. I think some shopping is in order.






10 Thoughts:
Shells,
Just think of it as an opportunity to meet new people and find a babysitter! Those relationships might come in handy, and who knows, you might even make some really good friends in the process. Enjoy the moment, and open your heart to new friendsships, new opportunities, and new beginnings.
I love you,
MOM
This post could have been written by me in '99, '02 and '08. For some reason every time we have brought a new child home, my church family wants to give me a baby shower. We just brought Maddie home in February and the only way I escaped that time was I kept putting it off until we moved! :)
I don't suggest moving.
I wish I had some great words of encouragement to get you through next Saturday. The only thing I can tell you is to just go, paint a smile on your face and endure. (Just what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. ;>)
It'll be done in a couple of hours...and it will be over. Half of the anxiety comes from the anticipation, doesn't it?
Shopping will definitely help! :)
(Thanks for the comments on my Creme post. I haven't even made it over there to check everyone out yet. ;) I'm sure I'll be back.)
Ohhhh, I can totally sympathize. I am not the gushy type either. I've disappointed people (usually my Mom) more than once with my lack of enthusiasm, even though, inwardly, I'm excited.
I can identify with dreading things too, namely every event that involves my in-laws.
What keeps me going is that my children are watching every move I make and if I can receive kindness with kindness, they (and I) learn the fine art of being gracious. A skill I am very slowly getting better at. I wish I could go with you. I'd sit next to you and make you laugh the whole time, but look at it this way, once it's over, you don't have to avoid anyone or worry about them asking AND you've made them happy and who knows? you might have fun (at least, that's what my Mom always tells me!)
I would feel awkward, too!! That is a hard situation, but you will get through it, I promise. You know what I would do in your situation? Make a "gift" for each attendee to the shower, so I didn't feel like such a gift taker. Even if you just baked a bunch of cookies or something and wrapped enough individually for each person, it would make you feel better. And definitely give nice hostess gifts to those throwing the shower.
*hugs*
I know how you feel. It is hard to be the center of attention like that, specialy if you don't know many of them.
Wow. Thank you so much for all of your encouragement! I will remember all of your words when I am the center of attention next week. Who knows, maybe no one will show up and then I won't feel so awkward. lol
Mel, thanks for your awesome idea. I feel so stupid that I didn't think of that before. I am totally going to do that now, and it even makes me a bit excited about the whole thing. :)
Thanks again to all of you for your help.
That sounds so much like me! I went to a Christian High School. I taught at a Christian school for a bit. But we haven't really gone to church in a long while, and the most of it is that we haven't found one where people are friendly.
And honestly, we enjoy sleeping in on Sundays!
I am pretty extroverted, but I'd still have a hard time with the shower if I didn't know them that well. It is an awkward situation.
That said, I hope that you are pleasantly surprised and it turns out to be a lot of fun!
I'm a little late to your post, but mostly just saying hi.
Isn't it sad how hard it is to find a "friendly" church? We were pretty determined to find a church family when we moved; it took us about 14 churches over a year and a half. But now we've been in the same place for over 4 years and can't imagine being anywhere else!
And I am also extremely awkward at parties for me. Surprise parties are the worst; I've been known to cry when people shout surprise at me. :)
I hope you have a surprising amount of fun. :)
I like what Mel said too! Great idea. And your mom too! Thinking of you!
Wow. That sucks. It would have been nice if they had found a way to do it your style.. more low key with a lunch where you aren't the center stage person and you can open presents when they aren't there or something...
I have similar issues..
oh.. btw.. the verification word on this was preach. Weird huh?
Post a Comment