Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

One look at the title and I know what you're thinking, "Oh, she is going to make some lame new year's resolutions that she isn't going to keep, and they are going to be stupid things like lose weight and clean the house once a week." Well, you would be wrong.

When I began my adult life, I began a lot of new personal traditions; I began with a new perspective on life; and I left behind all of the things from my youth that seemed just plain stupid to me. I can't exactly say when my adult life began, and I don't know that it was an overnight as opposed to over many years thing, but there was definitely a point where I shed the last of my ignorant youth.

Personal traditions I began included really taking care of myself, and taking time out of life to really focus on me. This included doing things for myself that I enjoyed for no other reason that I enjoyed them. Indulging on the occasional completely selfish purchase, such as a box of chocolates, new CD, or movie, or even going on vacations because I just plain wanted to. Aside from the worldly possessions, sometimes taking time out of life meant I enrolled in meditation classes to get in touch with myself during a self-definition phase. These moments not only profited me, but everyone I came in contact with because I was a better person after having taken care of myself.

The self-definition phases ultimately led to the new perspective on life. My dad always taught me to be open minded, and I prided myself on my ability to be so. I thrive on never shutting my mind to anything or anyone. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't follow my instincts when they kick in. I don't throw all caution to the wind, but I am open to possibilities.

One of the things I left behind was the idea of a new year's resolution. I never really understood the idea behind them. If you want to change something about your life, why wait until a specific date on the calendar to do so? Why not start changing it right away? The chances of you accomplishing it if you put it off for a special date decrease the further away the date is. I admit, I snickered internally when people honestly said they were making new year's resolutions. I would think to myself, "I bet you work on it all the way until January 2nd." I know, not nice, but that is what I thought and still think.

For 2009 I will do the same thing I have done at the beginning of every new year that I have done for as long as I can remember: I will be the best person I can be and will give all I can to every situation. If I have done my best, I will recognize I did my best and be happy in that knowledge. I will continue to be who I am, and change anything about me that I don't like the moment I realize I don't like it. I will continue to strive to be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, auntie, and friend that I can be. In 2009, I will be me. That is all anyone, including myself, can ask of me.

I wish you all the best for 2009. May it be your banner year, full of hope and promise.

2 Thoughts:

Just Me. said... [Reply to comment]

A great post! I don't do New Year's resolutions anymore. This New Year, I saw the fireworks from our home cuz we live near the city. And I cried big time. I cried cuz I'm so grateful for what I've been given in 2008.

Happy New Year,hun and in no time, baby bean will be here to fill your life with lotsa hope, promise and love.

ps, What a cute picture of Baby Bean.

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I like what you say in this post. Why wait until then to change something if you really want to change it? I also will try to be the best person I can be.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary